You are Jeff Gorton.

What direction are you taking this team...?

• Total voters

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
...I’m hellbent on seeing this team try and acquire as many early picks as possible.

What I’m not interested in is reading about unrealistic and lopsided scenario’s that are ultimately a waste of time. Most of your scenarios are creative, but usually unrealistic and way off from reality.

Just being real here.

Less would be more with you. Simplify your proposals and put some emphasis on why your proposal makes sense for both teams. It’ll go a LONG WAY with a lot of people here.

I've been reading your proposals for years and they are just so crazy. I mean on what planet are any of these even realistic.

1. Thanks for the creative accolade. That's important or you never get outside the box.

2. Granted creativity alone does not do it. But something is not inaccurate/wrong or even outlandish just because it is unpopular. Nor is something unrealistic if, for convenience purposes, it is is a larger deal of 4-7 assets per side that can be broken down into 2-3 assets per side, approx., each deal standing alone.
To truly be outlandish, a proposal must be so clearly unrealistic AND one-sided so as to not pass muster; an extreme illustration would be Rory Sparrow for Michael Jordan, Moose Dupont for Bobby Orr, etc.

3. That said, while I have not complained so, I sometimes find the so called wisdom of the herd, both here and at the main board, to be more outlandish than even my more extreme reaches. Not complaining, as I recognize and promote free speech; but just sayin in my defense.

For example: we hear rumblings we might luck out and get Nylander for Skjei and Zuc.
That is simply unrealistic and IMO outlandish.

I have proposed overpayment which swaps Namest for Zuc and adds to Skjei both Pionk and DeAngelo for Nylander.
Now this is a serious overpayment, but that is so by design.
You can't complain that it is unrealistic when you are obliged, and forced, to admit that without such a haul, counteroffers for Nylander might well be successful.
So the devil to conquer is truly in the details.
I'd love to add a lesser pick for Leafs 2019 1st.
I'd love for them to throw-in Liljigren.
But in THIS deal, this is what I would settle for to be able to pay in the currency I am choosing to tender.

Go through each deal, look at the end result
Then pull it apart and put it back together, and then give a fair and honest critique.

Also, while we all have made proposals we all would take back, and I am no exception, my track record of judgment on player value is not usually all that bad.

Kreider, Miller were peops many wanted to move early on.
Stepan was overrated.
Nieves continues to be virtually discarded and FINALLY getting a legit chance is showing us something.

So I bid you adeiu for now, with the hope you will return with fresh eyes, and mindset.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
if its me, i try to move anyone i don't consider core going forward, including

i move Zucc, and Nasmestnikov for strong returns

for prospects or pick, any/many of
- the mid-value veterans (beleskey, holland, tokarski, mazanec, mcleod, mcquaid, brickley, Claesson)
- the young pro prospects(suspects) (Gilmour, Bigras, OGara, Day, Fogarty, Gropp, Lettieri, Nell, Halverson, Leedahl)
- the unsigned guys for whom we have preferred guys in line (Sjahlin, Reunan, Lakatos, Kjellberg, Lindblom)

keep Nieves, Strome, Meskanen for post-moves depth unless a really good return is offered
if someone offered a 2d for Ronning, consider taking it

i have optimism for Fontaine, Virta, Huska, Wall, but if a fair offer is made

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Trade Kreider.

Trade Hayes.

Trade Zuccarello.

Trade McQuaid.

Namestnikov at $4M for next season is a tough sell. The Rangers might need a Russian babysitter for their young Russian guys who are supposedly coming over for next season. Kravstov knows English so he can take care of himself. Namestnikov is a useful player. Maybe he goes next trade deadline. Group III in 2020. He stays.

Strome at a $3.2M salary next season is another tough sell. Strome seems like a good guy. I heard Tavares loved him with the Islanders. McDavid also really liked Strome. Strome was a former high pick. 5th overall in 2011. He can help the Rangers young guys deal with the pressures of being a high first round pick. He will be a group II with arbitration rights in 2020. Useful player. Right handed shot. Can play wing and center. He stays.

Fast stays. Unless a contender blows Gorton away with a crazy offer. He could help a contender. Group III in 2020.

Vesey has been a disappointment. He was supposed to be a legit top six forward. Not. He has one more season left on his contract. Drury and Vesey have a connection through their hockey agents. Same agency. $2.35M salary for next season. $2.275M cap. One more season left. Group III in 2020. If there’s a change of scenery trade available, the Rangers should explore it.

Buchnevich. Where to begin? If there’s a change of scenery trade available for him for an equally talented young player, they should explore it. Re-sign him to a 2 year bridge deal this summer.

The Rangers should keep Zibanejad until at least the draft. Hope he continues having a career year. He can stay healthy. See where the team ends up in the lottery. Go from there. His NMC kicks in on July 1. 3 more seasons left on his contract. His salaries drop over the remaining term.

$5,350,000
$5,150,000
$4,750,000

The Rangers front loaded the contract. He got $11,500,000 in the first two seasons.

Trade him for a top pick in the 2019 draft or a high end young D similar to the Johansen for Jones trade before his NMC starts or then you’re at his mercy for any trade.

Shattenkirk has been better recently. His contract was also front loaded by the Rangers. He got $16M in the first two seasons. His salary drops in the last two years.

$6,600,000
$4,000,000( $2 million signing bonus)

Unless some team really wants Shattenkirk, Gorton is better off keeping him and look at dealing him at some point in the last two years of his contract. He stays for now.

Staal is a tough sell with two seasons remaining on his contract. He stays.

Smith is a bum. Send him to the AHL for the last two years of his contract. Buy him out. Trade him for another bad contract. Get him off the team. Send him to the AHL now.

Skjei has been better recently. The Rangers gave him a big contract extension last summer. Unless there’s a hockey trade for him, he stays.

Pionk is an enigma. His underlying numbers are awful. Group II this summer. Maybe they can find some stupid team to give them a better player. His stats are good. 5 goals and 20 points in 42 games. Two year bridge contract and hope he improves.

DeAngelo. Not a big fan. Group II this summer. One or two year bridge contract if he is still around.

Claesson has played well for not qualified group II. No opinion on him. If he stays or goes. Whatever. Maybe the Rangers can trade him at the deadline for a 3rd or something. Group II this summer.

Lundqvist stays. NMC.

Georgiev has been good. More good than bad. The Rangers don’t have to worry about losing him in the expansion draft. He is an asset they can continue to develop and trade sometime in the next year with Shestyorkin coming over for next season. There aren’t many quality young goaltenders around so maybe they can extract a quality deal for him.

Reactions: EEDAWGZ

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Trade Kreider.

Trade Hayes.

Trade Zuccarello.

Trade McQuaid.

Namestnikov at $4M for next season is a tough sell. The Rangers might need a Russian babysitter for their young Russian guys who are supposedly coming over for next season. Kravstov knows English so he can take care of himself. Namestnikov is a useful player. Maybe he goes next trade deadline. Group III in 2020. He stays.

Strome at a $3.2M salary next season is another tough sell. Strome seems like a good guy. I heard Tavares loved him with the Islanders. McDavid also really liked Strome. Strome was a former high pick. 5th overall in 2011. He can help the Rangers young guys deal with the pressures of being a high first round pick. He will be a group II with arbitration rights in 2020. Useful player. Right handed shot. Can play wing and center. He stays.

Fast stays. Unless a contender blows Gorton away with a crazy offer. He could help a contender. Group III in 2020.

Vesey has been a disappointment. He was supposed to be a legit top six forward. Not. He has one more season left on his contract. Drury and Vesey have a connection through their hockey agents. Same agency. $2.35M salary for next season. $2.275M cap. One more season left. Group III in 2020. If there’s a change of scenery trade available, the Rangers should explore it.

Buchnevich. Where to begin? If there’s a change of scenery trade available for him for an equally talented young player, they should explore it. Re-sign him to a 2 year bridge deal this summer.

The Rangers should keep Zibanejad until at least the draft. Hope he continues having a career year. He can stay healthy. See where the team ends up in the lottery. Go from there. His NMC kicks in on July 1. 3 more seasons left on his contract. His salaries drop over the remaining term.

$5,350,000
$5,150,000
$4,750,000

The Rangers front loaded the contract. He got $11,500,000 in the first two seasons.

Trade him for a top pick in the 2019 draft or a high end young D similar to the Johansen for Jones trade before his NMC starts or then you’re at his mercy for any trade.

Shattenkirk has been better recently. His contract was also front loaded by the Rangers. He got $16M in the first two seasons. His salary drops in the last two years.

$6,600,000
$4,000,000( $2 million signing bonus)

Unless some team really wants Shattenkirk, Gorton is better off keeping him and look at dealing him at some point in the last two years of his contract. He stays for now.

Staal is a tough sell with two seasons remaining on his contract. He stays.

Smith is a bum. Send him to the AHL for the last two years of his contract. Buy him out. Trade him for another bad contract. Get him off the team. Send him to the AHL now.

Skjei has been better recently. The Rangers gave him a big contract extension last summer. Unless there’s a hockey trade for him, he stays.

Pionk is an enigma. His underlying numbers are awful. Group II this summer. Maybe they can find some stupid team to give them a better player. His stats are good. 5 goals and 20 points in 42 games. Two year bridge contract and hope he improves.

DeAngelo. Not a big fan. Group II this summer. One or two year bridge contract if he is still around.

Claesson has played well for not qualified group II. No opinion on him. If he stays or goes. Whatever. Maybe the Rangers can trade him at the deadline for a 3rd or something. Group II this summer.

Lundqvist stays. NMC.

Georgiev has been good. More good than bad. The Rangers don’t have to worry about losing him in the expansion draft. He is an asset they can continue to develop and trade sometime in the next year with Shestyorkin coming over for next season. There aren’t many quality young goaltenders around so maybe they can extract a quality deal for him.

general agree, some dif of op as noted above

I think some variant of my props above which max 1sts is best for us overall.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The Rangers are in a tough spot because their best trade pieces (Zibanejad, Hayes, Kreider) will also likely be very useful players into the next decade. Can this team restock the cupboard without tearing down its foundation? I'm not sure -- Zuccarello, Shattenkirk, Skjei, McQuaid, Namestnikov don't have a lot of value in the trade market. If it were me, I'd trade Hayes and extend Kreider and Zibanejad, as I think Hayes is most likely of the three to become overpaid. Still, not an easy spot for the team. But trading two out of those three (and definitely all three) I think would set the team back.

Reactions: jas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad