You are AV: Who is the 7th defenseman going into the season?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
For the same reasons I've been mentioning since the end of last year that neither need to be rehashed nor have anything to do with McIlrath's play. His play is another reason entirely.

Klein has looked bad for longer than pre-season, but it is much easier to justify a position by making it sound like the opposing thought is jumping to conclusions based off of a few poor pre-season showings.

Last year before his injury he was playing over his head and his offense especially was unsustainable.

Yup. If they try to move him early there's a chance they find a team who thinks that high period for him is sustainable.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
For the same reasons I've been mentioning since the end of last year that neither need to be rehashed nor have anything to do with McIlrath's play. His play is another reason entirely.

Klein has looked bad for longer than pre-season, but it is much easier to justify a position by making it sound like the opposing thought is jumping to conclusions based off of a few poor pre-season showings.

Last year before his injury he was playing over his head and his offense especially was unsustainable.

A good portion are most certainly getting ahead of themselves even if there has been a lag in Klein's play.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Would be stupid to waive McIlrath, he'll be traded if they don't find room for him.

Diaz will not go to the minors, then he returns to Europe where the pay is much better. Could be waived though with the same conditions.

I believe Diaz has a clause in his contract, he'll be a free agent if the Rangers decide not to use him, and they have to pay him 1/10 of contract value, $70.000.

Well in that case they'd be doing Diaz no disservice at all. 70k for a preseason and he can go wherever he likes.
As for McIlrath, IMO and most, he's been more solid, physical, fairly mistake free, and has earned the 7th spot. He's not of course untradable, so if they get an offer that's beneficial to the team they'll do it. As it stands though, he can bring a punishing presence to this team that it's been lacking. I'd rather see the team keep the player that's been the better of these two and that is McIlrath.

frankthefrowner

Jan 13, 2007
The rangers arent just dumping an asset they have spent a ton of time developing. Diaz has been bouncing around the league for a while and he will continue to do so.

If Mclrath is truly ready he is a game changer for this defense. There is no one on this team like him. We always complain that guys run Henrik or push us around. We have literally been clamoring for a guy like him for years.

I would ease him in... Have Boyle and Dylan split time at the #6 spot. Dylan gets the tougher teams like Washington, CBJ and Boston while Boyle gets the more finesse teams in our conference.

I dont know what you do with Diaz and quite frankly i do not care. Hes a Journeymen and he will continue on that Journey.

Wolfy*

Well in that case they'd be doing Diaz no disservice at all. 70k for a preseason and he can go wherever he likes.
As for McIlrath, IMO and most, he's been more solid, physical, fairly mistake free, and has earned the 7th spot. He's not of course untradable, so if they get an offer that's beneficial to the team they'll do it. As it stands though, he can bring a punishing presence to this team that it's been lacking. I'd rather see the team keep the player that's been the better of these two and that is McIlrath.

McIlrath is better at hitting, Diaz is better on the PP ;)

But I'd like to keep both. Hopefully we get rid of Boyle or Klein, and we will.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Look at the McIlrath love god damn, HFNYR. You have changed the past two weeks.

Hate to say I told ya so (no, no I don't).

Maybe more people had faith in McIlrath than you thought. Sometimes a few people can seem like an army if they keep harping at something.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

I do think McIlrath makes the cut, but I'm pretty sure that Diaz is signed an one-way contract and will get paid his full salary if he clears waivers. It would definitely benefit the organization to have him as a call-up if needed.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I think it is a bit premature for any I told you sos. Wrath has shown thus far he is able to keep up at the NHL level against a very limited, and not entirely skilled group of opponents. Let's not get carried away.

It is promising for his ability to play 3rd pairing minutes, which is not saying much for a former 10th OA.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I think it is a bit premature for any I told you sos. Wrath has shown thus far he is able to keep up at the NHL level against a very limited, and not entirely skilled group of opponents. Let's not get carried away.

It is promising for his ability to play 3rd pairing minutes, which is not saying much for a former 10th OA.

1) Well it's the preseason. What do you expect? He performed very well vs the talent. Please dont try to fault him because he wasn't playing against a stanely cup finals forwards. It's preseason for EVERYONE.

2) What does his draft pick have to do with ANYTHING in this argument? Dumb

The ONLY thing i can gather from your post is that you were a huge hater on him. Without even looking at your post history it is obvious.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
1) Well it's the preseason. What do you expect? He performed very well vs the talent. Please dont try to fault him because he wasn't playing against a stanely cup finals forwards. It's preseason for EVERYONE.

Never said he didn't perform well. I said let's not get carried away.

2) What does his draft pick have to do with ANYTHING in this argument? Dumb

Again his success is relative. Your comprehension skills are null.

The ONLY thing i can gather from your post is that you were a huge hater on him. Without even looking at your post history it is obvious.

Is it obvious? You're wrong. I was never a big fan, or an outspoken hater.

Nice overreaction.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

I'm less interested in the talent he played against, and more interested in the little things in his game that are at a point where he can be a successful NHL d-man.

Board play. Stick work. Stepping up at the blueline. Quick passes.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Just throwing out there that the 7th defenseman is hardly going to play in the early season. I'd much rather have Dylan playing in the minors than rusting away to nothing, hardly getting any chance to play. Diaz is a stop gap kind of guy.

I'd venture to say that Dylan will be up here playing at some point this year but he does not need to fly around with the team just to be able to do that.( or maybe he does per contract???-- I'm not sure.)

EDIT--

Now reading that we would have to have Dylan clear waivers I change my tact, I'd keep him up with the Rangers. The Rangers can't take that chance. I would not trade any proven NHL guys( Klein, Yandle) to make room for him though.

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Just throwing out there that the 7th defenseman is hardly going to play in the early season. I'd much rather have Dylan playing in the minors than rusting away to nothing, hardly getting any chance to play. Diaz is a stop gap kind of guy.

I'd venture to say that Dylan will be up here playing at some point this year but he does not need to fly around with the team just to be able to do that.( or maybe he does per contract???-- I'm not sure.)

EDIT--

Now reading that we would have to have Dylan clear waivers I change my tact, I'd keep him up with the Rangers. The Rangers can't take that chance. I would not trade any proven NHL guys( Klein, Yandle) to make room for him though.

The funny thing is if McIlrath had options I think it'd be a coin flip between him staying and going back to the minors. That's part of the reason the narrative that he's torn it up this preseason and deserves to unseat the incumbents is so silly.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
Nice to see DMc make the team(counting on it), which means that Glass can find another job. No need for any redundancy here.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
The funny thing is if McIlrath had options I think it'd be a coin flip between him staying and going back to the minors. That's part of the reason the narrative that he's torn it up this preseason and deserves to unseat the incumbents is so silly.

I think if he didn't need to pass through waivers, the only decision would be over whether they thought playing a ton of minutes in HTFRD (a short call up away if needed) would be more beneficial than practicing with the big team and learning how to be an NHL pro. I don't think there's any question that he has played better than Diaz straight up, never mind his possible future. If both of them were on waivers I would bet every team would pick McIlrath up over Diaz.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think if he didn't need to pass through waivers, the only decision would be over whether they thought playing a ton of minutes in HTFRD (a short call up away if needed) would be more beneficial than practicing with the big team and learning how to be an NHL pro. I don't think there's any question that he has played better than Diaz straight up, never mind his possible future. If both of them were on waivers I would bet every team would pick McIlrath up over Diaz.

Hes better than Diaz in the defensive zone. Diaz is better in the O-zone/on the PP. Different strokes for different folks. Thats why I'd advocate keeping 8D if possible. I like the flexibility those 2 provide.

McIlrath also can't play the left side, so the Rangers are in quite a bind if any of their left D-men go down.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Mcilraith is stil young and developing id rather keep him in the long term and diaz is already what hes gunna be a 6-7.. and just because hes more offensive capable doesnt give him a pass for poor defensive play. unless ur karlsson or yandle and scoring the most points on your team you have to play solid defense. and personally i think "offensive defensemen" with poor/below average offensive numbers are just a waste if they cant play defense. thats how u get guys like john moore or to a lesser extent MDZ. Stralman was a good example of an offensive guy that didnt do much offensively early in his career until torts turned him into a defensive monster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad