You are AV: Who is the 7th defenseman going into the season?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not that it's necessary to move Klein right away but I'd be shopping him. As stated before I don't think there is any way that he's with the Rangers come this time next year---which is another reason why you'd want McIlrath to get plenty of playing time. I wouldn't however move Klein to make room for Diaz. Relatively the same age--Klein is just a better all around player than Diaz.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I just think McIlrath could turn into a steady defensive defenseman that we are looking down the road 3-4 years from now and are thankful we kept him. Diaz would just be a Gilroy/Hunwick esque filler.

With Girardi showing some signs of slowing down with age and Boyle gone after this year, McIlrath and Skjei's development is important.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I agree with all points, but I do want to say, I don't really think it's fair to consider him a late bloomer. 23 is a very typical age for a guy to break into the league. It may be late by the standards of the tenth pick in the draft, but if he was picked in the second or third round it wouldn't see unusual at all. He was picked as a project and developed as a project.

Or went to college.......

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Hahaaha its 55-3 at this point.

Outside of the PP, Diaz is not an NHL caliber defensman.

When they put him out there against stiffer competition, he took 3 minor penalties.

For as shifty as he is and the shooting ability he has, he doesn't fulfill his job description of being able to defend.

That's not to say he can't fill minutes, but he's definitely not a stopper out there.

With Dylan you get a stopper on the backend, and a guy that can take care of business like he did last night.

Ran Rinaldo, was a bit of an iffy call for charging, and then tried to fight him for being a *****, and took on the guy that ran Hank.

Last two years you never saw Dorsett and Glass do that... they fought personal fights... not stepping up for the team... and the former got beat badly.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Last two years you never saw Dorsett and Glass do that... they fought personal fights... not stepping up for the team... and the former got beat badly.

Last two years?! I've been watching this team regularly for 8 years or so. Haven't seen it as pleasing as the Wrath does it.

member 116805

McIlrath. Biggest upside: lets us get rid of Glass and still dress a "fighter"

I do like Diaz though, but it makes no sense keeping him over Dylan.
Hope he will go to CT and play there if he is not picked up by another team.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I'm aboard the trading Klein at some point train. It might be beneficial now. We'll never know about McIlrath without playing him. Playing him with Yandle is a great way for him to break in too. He won't have to be the primary puck handler. He can play a more shut down role and helps Yandle where he is lacking in clearing the front.

Don't get me wrong, Klein does this too, just at a much higher price and we're cap strapped as is. Flip Klein for futures and it will allow the team to make a move if needed at the draft if Yandle isn't retained and Boyle is gone.

Also if McIlrath has a Sauer like progression, he could be a top 4 guy by that time and the need for a trade could be for a 3rd pairing guy. If not, you moved in and out assets to fill a need at a time (cap relief now and a player later).

It's why I picked Diaz as the 7th as I believe McIlrath is the 6th going into the season.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Not really.

Great argument. Thanks for the input.

Then again, thats all you really have when trying to make the point that McIlrath is NHL ready right this second. Can't seem to bring yourself to admit that you just dont know and it'd be wiser to stick with our current top 6 for the immediate future.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Do people remember the Caps running our backline over and over again last playoff season? I think it might be nice to have some size and snarl back there next time if Dylan keeps progressing.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Do people remember the Caps running our backline over and over again last playoff season? I think it might be nice to have some size and snarl back there next time if Dylan keeps progressing.

Yes. I also remember the Yandle/Boyle pairing folding like a cheap suit under the forecheck pressure.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yes. I also remember the Yandle/Boyle pairing folding like a cheap suit under the forecheck pressure.

The thing I notice in this preseason is that other teams are more likely to attack our other dmen (not Dylan) on the boards physically. Last night one of our dmen got physically carried out of a play. Usually the other team give a stick check or a half hearted body check against Dylan. Also Dylan is making guys pay after they pass the puck. That is stopping that forward from joining the play. Last night the Bruins first goal does not happen if the body is taken by our defensemen after the initial pass. Dylan is not a finished product. In some ways he is a bull in a china shop which sounds bad but those guys are scary to play against. Right now Dylan is doing more good things than bad. I think the more confidence he gets the better he will play.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The variable that keeps creeping into my mind is I think Diaz is more of an AV type of defenseman. If it was solely up to him, I could picture him keeping Diaz (and Glass for that matter).

Luckily, I think management will step in and the waiver situations will play a role.

Still think the team should take 8 D into the early part of the season. Etem the 13th forward. Glass gone.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The variable that keeps creeping into my mind is I think Diaz is more of an AV type of defenseman. If it was solely up to him, I could picture him keeping Diaz (and Glass for that matter).

Luckily, I think management will step in and the waiver situations will play a role.

Still think the team should take 8 D into the early part of the season. Etem the 13th forward. Glass gone.

I don't know if they'll keep 8 Dmen, but, I expect Gorton to take the long term view on the roster, which is why I expect both McIlrath and Etem to stick around.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I really don't see anything in Diaz. The only time he looked comfortable at all was on the pp. And that's preseason.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not that it's necessary to move Klein right away but I'd be shopping him. As stated before I don't think there is any way that he's with the Rangers come this time next year---which is another reason why you'd want McIlrath to get plenty of playing time. I wouldn't however move Klein to make room for Diaz. Relatively the same age--Klein is just a better all around player than Diaz.
Been thinking about this, eco. It maybe be Yandle who gets shopped. The trade has been a waste of assets so far. It may be that some can get recouped. Not that this is the thread for it.

As for McIlrath , he deserved it and I can see him getting onto the third pairing on a regular basis before the year is up.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I really don't see anything in Diaz. The only time he looked comfortable at all was on the pp. And that's preseason.

I think Diaz has some good skills and can play in the right situation. I think he is capable of being a 7th dman in the NHL for sure.

His issues are,
That he is a offensive defensemen that does not score much.
That he is a little undersized.
That he gets a lot of his shots blocked.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Diaz is a tad undersized (and plays smaller), redundant and defensively lacking. Even if McIlrath was not here, I wouldn't really want him as our 7th DMan. It's not that he's terrible or anything, but he doesn't really bring anything to the table either and he's not going to get better at his age, and maybe even decline.
So McIlrath.

Wolfy*

I think Diaz has some good skills and can play in the right situation. I think he is capable of being a 7th dman in the NHL for sure.

His issues are,
That he is a offensive defensemen that does not score much.
That he is a little undersized.
That he gets a lot of his shots blocked.

Doesn't score much? Defensemen are usually not on top of the score list ;)

But he was actually one of the best of all players in pre-season with two goals and two assists, pretty damn good for a dman...

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I liked Diaz, I always liked him. Back when he on the team a couple of years ago I saw him up close and personal at the Rock when the Rangers played the Devils and I thought he moved the puck really well on the PP and wasn't a defensive liability. That being said for what ever reason he has been a journeyman his entire career and has never stuck with one team despite his abilities. He clearly has defecenices that don't allow him to be a full time NHLer. I would love to keep him around but cap wise we can't.

The right move is MCI. I am biased, because unlike many on this board I LOVED the pick 4 years ago and have talked the kid up very much. I really believe MCI can make an impact on the Rangers for years to come.

Wolfy*

Don't forget the Rangers called and asked Diaz to return. Now when he showed such a great performance in pre-season, it's going to be very tough for them to let him go.

If the Rangers is a respectful organization, they wouldn't treat people like that.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Don't forget the Rangers called and asked Diaz to return. Now when he showed such a great performance in pre-season, it's going to be very tough for them to let him go.

If the Rangers is a respectful organization, they wouldn't treat people like that.

You think Diaz was great this pre-season?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
So the vote is 82-5 and 4 out of 5 who voted for Diaz actually think MCI should be #6 and Diaz #7 with Klein traded? So besides VikingBoy everyone agrees that McIlrath is a superior player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad