Yormark: Big Changes Coming To Islanders Coverage

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Is it too much to hope that they will announce they aren't renewing their deal with MSG and will be broadcast on some other channel that doesn't fap to pictures of Henrik Lundqvist showering?

I would love this, not the mental image but the channel. It's likely WFAN as others have stated

Nuch3232

Nov 22, 2013
Long Island
It wasn't a tweet from Yormark but Boomer and Carton just tweeted that WFAN will carry 30 Islanders games this year

.@BoomerandCarton just announced @WFAN660 will broadcast 30 @NYIslanders games this season. #isles

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
It wasn't a tweet from Yormark but Boomer and Carton just tweeted that WFAN will carry 30 Islanders games this year

.@BoomerandCarton just announced @WFAN660 will broadcast 30 @NYIslanders games this season. #isles

I wonder why only 30. What happens to the other 52 games?

Nuch3232

Nov 22, 2013
Long Island
I thought the same thing. Who knows. I guess we will have to see. But know IslesBlog just tweeted this.

Sources tell us that @am970TheAnswer is the other station that will broadcast #Isles games during the 2016-17 season (cc: @sportswatch)

Nuch3232

Nov 22, 2013
Long Island
From Neil Best:
--
.@am970TheAnswer will carry 52 #Isles games, @WFAN660 30. @BoomerandCarton will call Nov. 30 vs. Pens. @WRHU_FM and WRCN will simulcast all.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
i'd guess people who commute or have no choice besides to drive during typical game times (7-8pm many people are still on the road)

But in the age of dvr and nhl center Ice who cares if you miss the game live. I'd bet the majority of the population would rather watch it on dvr skipping commercials than listening to a live broadcast. Have to agree who cares about radio...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Who ****ing cares about radio broadcasts???

I do. Road games when I'm in the car. Post-game shows on the way home from Barclays listening to Cappy BS us on how well Brian Strait played. Stuff like that there.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know how anyone would think that having games on a station with such a huge coverage area isn't a good thing. People could get turned onto the Islanders just because they have the FAN on the preset.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I do. Road games when I'm in the car. Post-game shows on the way home from Barclays listening to Cappy BS us on how well Brian Strait played. Stuff like that there.

You must be one of the 25.

All kidding aside, I get that the Isles want more coverage of the team and having a larger station feed the games may help -- that's fine. Knock yourself out. I think that money is better spent elsewhere.

Perhaps they are just trying to appease the existing fans, b/c I don't see any new fans picking up the game on the radio. Frankly, post game interviews with coaches and players are almost always predictable and worthless --- I have no interest in them.

"Ya know..we gotta get more pucks to the net, and play our game"

<shrugs>

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You must be one of the 25.

All kidding aside, I get that the Isles want more coverage of the team and having a larger station feed the games may help -- that's fine. Knock yourself out. I think that money is better spent elsewhere.

Perhaps they are just trying to appease the existing fans, b/c I don't see any new fans picking up the game on the radio. Frankly, post game interviews with coaches and players are almost always predictable and worthless --- I have no interest in them.

"Ya know..we gotta get more pucks to the net, and play our game"

<shrugs>

Getting on a station like WFAN raises a team's profile in the sports landscape in this town. The cross-promotion opportunities are numerous. Plenty of people listen to Boomer & Carton in the morning, and that show is simulcast on cable on CBS Sports. For a team that people have always complained about having such a low profile in NYC, getting on WFAN is a great move.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Getting on a station like WFAN raises a team's profile in the sports landscape in this town. The cross-promotion opportunities are numerous. Plenty of people listen to Boomer & Carton in the morning, and that show is simulcast on cable on CBS Sports. For a team that people have always complained about having such a low profile in NYC, getting on WFAN is a great move.

Yup. There is a ripple effect here regardless if you personally listen to radio. The goal is to make the Islanders and valuable, viable, and relevant as possible and getting on a radio station like WFAN, if only for 30 games, is one of a million things that ownership can do that is a positive step in the right direction.

mk21

Sep 20, 2015
What would be the big score is to get a few or at least a couple of the MSG+2 games put on over the air TV. I know Barclays has a good relationship with WPIX (Channel 11) Which also is carried in quite a few cities as a super station. But I cant see Dolan going for that.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yup. There is a ripple effect here regardless if you personally listen to radio. The goal is to make the Islanders and valuable, viable, and relevant as possible and getting on a radio station like WFAN, if only for 30 games, is one of a million things that ownership can do that is a positive step in the right direction.
While it may be only 30 games on FAN, the promotional opportunities should be season-long.

Ziggy16

Mar 1, 2005
keep in mind they have the debbies on wfan as well, and they are covering 59 of those games, while the rest are pushed to other networks b/c of other game conflicts.. the debbies had a contract with wfan first, so they get the bulk of the air time

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York
I've got a question - Other than FIOS, is MSG plus 2 not available in HD anywhere else?

I get so frustrated when the Isles are relegated to MSGplus2 while there is D League basketball on other MSG channels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad