Rumor: YLE [FIN]: Selanne to retire after this season

Win Jiggys Loft

Jun 16, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's been the same story since the Ducks won the Cup in 2007. From NT, he apparently "retired" after Turin. So yeah, "never say never" is a statement that definitely holds true with Selänne.

Just don't run yourself to the ground, Teemu. Remember that quitting when you still have step left in you is always more dignified than as someone who's become a drag to his team. No one's saying you're there yet, but in the world of professional sports, that line can come fast, hard, and you don't even realize you're there before it's been crossed.

Exactly. I love him, but I don't want him retiring as a hinderance like say,Ken Griffey Jr. and the Mariners. Wrong sport, but in terms of player value to the franchise I think it's the same...

roto

Oct 26, 2009
Here are the latest comments from Selänne: he's going to make the decision about his future after the season is over. If he's physically in shape and he still wants to play, then he's ready to play another season.

So, it's the same thing as before: he hasn't decided anything yet and will decide when he's ready.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/nhl/2013011816574246_nh.shtml

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I thought it was odd that someone would know about Selänne's retirement plans at this point of the season. If he would play another season after this short one, he could get to 700 goals and over 1500 points! Depending of course on his health and productivity of him and his linemates.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Here are the latest comments from Selänne: he's going to make the decision about his future after the season is over. If he's physically in shape and he still wants to play, then he's ready to play another season.

So, it's the same thing as before: he hasn't decided anything yet and will decide when he's ready.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/nhl/2013011816574246_nh.shtml

Shock. Why would he wrap things up after a shortened season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad