Rumor: YLE [FIN]: Selanne to retire after this season

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
It was the number one headline in YLE sports news. YLE is the most reliable source in Finnish media.

Selanne himself didn't have any comments there but the guy who takes care all of his stuff confirmed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Who is this Teemu guy, who retires each year?

On a serious note, i could see it him doing that :/

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
sure. i could see it happen. but to have this "rumour" released now is odd.. prior to the start of a shortened season theres already news about his retirement at the end of the season? we know teemu likes to decide after the season is over, but sure. at the age of 42 he could definitely retire this season.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Last thing I heard was Teemu saying "we're not there yet, I'm not thinking about it right now, I'm thinking about the season" probably twitter.

It's probably true but...then again this is Teemu. You just never know any more. I've been enjoying every year like it's his last year since he won the cup.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Last thing I heard was Teemu saying "we're not there yet, I'm not thinking about it right now, I'm thinking about the season" probably twitter.

It's probably true but...then again this is Teemu. You just never know any more. I've been enjoying every year like it's his last year since he won the cup.

I agree, never know.

Crazy to think about that the Cup was 6 years a go. I felt then that Teemu was done, gladly i have been wrong.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I agree, never know.

Crazy to think about that the Cup was 6 years a go. I felt then that Teemu was done, gladly i have been wrong.

We've been spoiled.

I've had the pleasure of watching him play my entire life. I thank him for sticking around long enough for me to become an adult and then some.

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
What is this buzzkill... I'd like to have a word with "the guy who takes care of all his stuff." I thought that was Jason Blake's job.

I won't believe anything until Teemu announces it. Even then I won't believe him :laugh:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
If I remember right, he said in another interview something like this:
"Is this my last season? Sure it is, like it has been for a few years."

Or something like that.

Edit. Ah, found it. http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekk...anne-vitsikkaana-tama-on-viimeinen-kausi-eiko (Finnish)

Selänne was asked if he will approach the new season differently compared to last few seasons.

-This is my last season, right? Of course it is, like always, Selänne laughed at himself.

I can translate the rest too if you want to.

Last edited:

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
The only confirmed thing about this article was he has accepted a book deal about his career that's supposed to release next autumn

roto

Oct 26, 2009
It was the number one headline in YLE sports news. YLE is the most reliable source in Finnish media.

Selanne himself didn't have any comments there but the guy who takes care all of his stuff confirmed it.
Did you actually read the news article? "The guy who takes care of all his stuff" only confirmed that a book about Selänne is coming. He specifically say that he won't speculate whether Teemu is going to retire or not. All this speculation rumors started because of that book. Even though YLE is above average in reliability in general, this article is pure speculation and almost tabloid stuff.

Link to the article of YLE: http://yle.fi/urheilu/teemu_selanteesta_kirja_-_ura_paattymassa_kevaalla/6449080

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Did you actually read the news article? "The guy who takes care of all his stuff" only confirmed that a book about Selänne is coming. He specifically say that he won't speculate whether Teemu is going to retire or not. All this speculation rumors started because of that book. Even though YLE is above average in reliability in general, this article is pure speculation and almost tabloid stuff.

Link to the article of YLE: http://yle.fi/urheilu/teemu_selanteesta_kirja_-_ura_paattymassa_kevaalla/6449080
There was no news article to read when I posted this. It was from the TV sports news.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
There was no news article to read when I posted this. It was from the TV sports news.
Ok, sorry. It makes YLE even more guilty. Teemu has said many times that he'll play as long as he enjoys playing. It's annoying how media is trying to make stupid conclusions. I wouldn't be surprised if Teemu continues one more year. It's olympic year which might be one additional reason to continue.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

There is one now on YLE text-tv.

A rough translation below.

According to information acquired by YLE Sports, Teemu Selänne will retire after this year's shortened season.

Publishing company Otava has made a contract to publish a book about Selänne's career. It will be published next fall, and B2B sales of the book have already begun.

The book has been in the making for years, but Selänne hasn't been ready to commit to making the book until now.

Selänne has said numerous times that the book won't be published until his hockey career is over. The 42-year-old Selänne has been playing in the NHL since 1992.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Ok, sorry. It makes YLE even more guilty. Teemu has said many times that he'll play as long as he enjoys playing. It's annoying how media is trying to make stupid conclusions. I wouldn't be surprised if Teemu continues one more year. It's olympic year which might be one additional reason to continue.
I feel like Selanne DID say he was retiring from Olympic competition.

Selanne138

Nov 18, 2009
I feel like we've seen this story every year for the past 5 years.

Beginning of Season: "Its probably my last year"

End Of Season: "I need some time away from the rink to think about the future"

July: "When you feel like you can't still keep up with the young guys and you don't have fun at the rink anymore I think it's time to call it quits, but I'm not at that point yet. ONE MORE YEAR."

When Teemu has a press conference saying I am retiring, then we can believe it. And even then, I still probably wont.

Corey Perry*

It will take me at least a year after he stops playing to convince me that he's actually done for good.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Getzlaf gets a stick from Teemu each year he says he is going to retire. Wonder where he keeps them all :laugh:

Gonna be sad when it finally happens and he doesn't come back.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
If teemu plays a injury free season and puts up decent numbers, he will not retire.

If the ducks win the cup this season, he might.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I feel like Selanne DID say he was retiring from Olympic competition.

I feel like he said already 5 times that "last season" thing.

SURE, hes mentality will be that this is the last season, and it might also be it. But, if he's in good condition after the season, does have fun this season, and still has the motivation, I bet there still is the possibility that it isn't the last season after all.

Same goes to Olympics. This discussion doesn't even make sense at this point.. Better to discus after the season

teemuselanneetu111111LM_jk.jpg

"Last season"

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I feel like he said already 5 times that "last season" thing.
It's been the same story since the Ducks won the Cup in 2007. From NT, he apparently "retired" after Turin. So yeah, "never say never" is a statement that definitely holds true with Selänne.

Just don't run yourself to the ground, Teemu. Remember that quitting when you still have step left in you is always more dignified than as someone who's become a drag to his team. No one's saying you're there yet, but in the world of professional sports, that line can come fast, hard, and you don't even realize you're there before it's been crossed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad