We Need Defence!

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
At the end of the day, McCabe and Benoit might be all that is left from this year. Trade market, free agent class.. there is a lot available to revamp this defense in Tre's image.

Reactions: rutz

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
We need a top goalie. I really believe that is where we need to focus most. D too, but figuring out who will replace Samsonov is priority #1 imo. It’s our biggest opportunity to improve.
I agree.

Quite often the goalie is your best defender!

It’s referenced often that hockey is a game of mistakes, the team who makes less mistakes often wins.

A top goalie will mask a lot of mistakes for sure.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Zadorov has 4 goals in 8 games this playoffs. He doesn't usually translate on his offence like this, but he is far from a defensive defenceman. He has a good pass, skating, and joins the rush very regularly.

and 4 in his previous 45 playoff game... He's like Mccabe, hes able to skate and join the rush but hes not someone who will bring a lot in the offensive end.

if i have to spend like 4-5M for a D, he's certainly not the guy i would target. I prefer spend this money in a guy like Skjei than Zadorov

Reactions: arso40

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
We do need to retool the defense.

However, in terms of priorities I think it's after both trading one of Marner/Tavares (the latter is impossible) and adding a goaltender, and money is tight until the 2025 offseason.

The following offseason, we'd be rid of both Marner and Tavares and would have more room to find some D (something my wife's friend was very good at finding in college)

• Haha
Reactions: Frostitute

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Man I would be concerned with Tanev at this stage. He has many more miles on him than real games played. He has been used and abused so much. Lots of injuries etc etc. Be careful.

Reactions: Frostitute

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
thread2.JPG

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Fewer #6s, we had 6 of them last year.

They need to target D who can play offensively, or who can defend but also have a sprinkle of offense.

We had almost no D after the deadline who could move the puck.

There are a lot of middle-pairing D this offseason, hopefully, they are smart and target more than just a name this offseason.

20 million to spend again.

Think Tanev is a bad target unless it is a one-year deal, and Zadarov will likely be too much for what he brings.

Montour + Demelo is my dream.

I can see us ending up with Zadarov + Hakanpaa and paying 7 million a year combined, just because of size, it seems to be the most valued trait of a D by management currently.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The right side D needs to be completely gutted. The Left with Rielly, McCabe and Benoit is a perfectly good start.

The challenge if you keep those 3 however is that ideally you want the RD on each of those pairs to be stronger than those 3 LDs.

And you need them to be skilled grit, capable of moving the puck, contributing offensively AND strong net front and breaking up the cycle which can be both hard to acquire and expensive

Last edited:
Reactions: TMLife17

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I keep hearing people on here bragging about Niemela and that leafs don’t develop

Is niemela not an option yet???
Some people have noticed that he had a pretty good rookie year in the AHL and he will come to camp to compete for a spot.

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
We do need to retool the defense.

However, in terms of priorities I think it's after both trading one of Marner/Tavares (the latter is impossible) and adding a goaltender, and money is tight until the 2025 offseason.

The following offseason, we'd be rid of both Marner and Tavares and would have more room to find some D (something my wife's friend was very good at finding in college)
Aaaand I instantly love you.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
To be fair... that may not be the world's best idea.

Let's say you somehow manage to get the 1 perfect guy for this team in Brett Pesce. He probably slots in alongside Jake McCabe; leaving you to need to resign Lyubushkin, and with a 3rd pair of Benoit & Liljegren.

That leaves you with a blueline that, on a night-to-night basis, has Lybushkin & Benoit who handle the puck like a grenade, McCabe & Pesce who make a decent first pass, but nothing too creative offensively. Based on having those 4 guys in the lineup, it would seem to me that you'd want the remaining 2 to be guys that move the puck very well like Rielly & Liljegren do. Rielly to play with Lyubushkin, and Liljegren to play with Benoit.
This would be my framework for the blueline heading into the offseason.

The wildcard is naturally any potential Marner trade, and whether that would net you (ideally) a top Dman in return, but teams are so hesitant to give those pieces up that I'm just going to assume it's not going to happen.

horner

May 22, 2007
Sign Montour, 8.5 million per.
Sign Zadorov, 4.5 million per
Sign Domi 4 million

Conference Finals if we get those 2 guys.
Marner and Brodie cost 16 million, the above costs 17 million.
Big Zadorov will get 5 or 5.5 but he is what we need a big mobile dman tough mean with a bomb from the point.
Montour pp quarter back like the above

I think we can bring down there aav on term

Mo should be traded retain 1.5 mil

We need a new direction

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
What is it with Leafs fans and Brett Pesce? Like I don't get it. I remember when he was the main piece coming back from a Nylander trade. Insert vomit emoji here.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad