Rumor: Yandle/Yakupov

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Really not looking to get Yandle. Been loving Leddy as of late. Yandle is in his prime now, but Leddy is only 23 and he's only going to get better, which is crazy because he's pretty damn good now. I love his shot and watching him skate is pure poetry.

Agreed, those were shockingly good moves for Snow; it was as if Bill Torrey called him and taught him the 3 rules of being a GM: 1) when you trade make sure the players you get will improve your team 2) add up all of the players' salaries and make sure they are below the cap 3) rentals are stupid and should be avoided, especially not for high level picks or prospects.

I am actually more concerned with our ability to retain Boychuk, Leddy, Oak, and Frans' long-term than this season's results; we will be lucky to reach the 2nd round but the retention of those players are critical to the team eventually maturing and reaching the SC over the next 3-5 years as JT, Oak, Nelson and the rest of the core grows into their prime.

Last edited:

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Pulock is a younger Boychuk, more offense less physical. I doubt any moves will be made on defense. The forwards need work though.

It's awesome that pulock is a younger version of boychuk in terms of offense. i just wish we had more defensemen who had a physical mentality first. If you look at our defensemen Viz, CDH, Hickey, Leddy are all skilled offensively some more then others. Boychuk and Hamonic maybe Leddy to me are the ones that REALLY show physicality. I feel like we have many offensive minded d-men which is good and we need some d-men who play defense first and just want to hit people and bring fear to the opposing forwards.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
It's awesome that pulock is a younger version of boychuk in terms of offense. i just wish we had more defensemen who had a physical mentality first. If you look at our defensemen Viz, CDH, Hickey, Leddy are all skilled offensively some more then others. Boychuk and Hamonic maybe Leddy to me are the ones that REALLY show physicality. I feel like we have many offensive minded d-men which is good and we need some d-men who play defense first and just want to hit people and bring fear to the opposing forwards.

Totally agree.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Totally agree.

That is why I kind of thought Tim Gleason as the #7 dman would be a good option to throw out at their at times... the problem with that type of guy is that they hit people but are usually slower... but I concur that having a physical dman suit up on certain nights over Hickey, Viz or CDH would make sense. If we were to play Pittsburgh or Washington I would rather have a guy like Gleason in there, but for Edmonton, Carolina etc.. we would keep him in the luxury box.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
That is why I kind of thought Tim Gleason as the #7 dman would be a good option to throw out at their at times... the problem with that type of guy is that they hit people but are usually slower... but I concur that having a physical dman suit up on certain nights over Hickey, Viz or CDH would make sense. If we were to play Pittsburgh or Washington I would rather have a guy like Gleason in there, but for Edmonton, Carolina etc.. we would keep him in the luxury box.

Right and think of our next guy up. #7 d-man is donovan or griff. Donovan is a puckmover and hasn't played bad this season. And the knock on griff is why isn't he more physical? Brian Strait is next up and his play has declined. Maybe czuzman or someone else in BP gave us some physical presence but its something that should be addressed.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Right and think of our next guy up. #7 d-man is donovan or griff. Donovan is a puckmover and hasn't played bad this season. And the knock on griff is why isn't he more physical? Brian Strait is next up and his play has declined. Maybe czuzman or someone else in BP gave us some physical presence but its something that should be addressed.

Well that guy was Carkner and he is out for the year, plus Carkner is actually a downgrade from Strait... this team needs to add a #7 dman that is a physical player at the deadline on the cheap, and most likely that guy barely suits up. Reinhart has to play everyday. Donovan is not bad at all, he can fill in for CDH, Viz or Hickey if they were hurt, but I like the option of having a Gleason type to suit up against the Caps or Pens in a playoff series, and you can take turns resting CDH, Viz or Hickey so they we have size and grit.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

I thought Donovan looked like an improved player in the games he has played.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
I thought Donovan looked like an improved player in the games he has played.

Agreed, but if Evengi Malkin is coming down the ice and is staring at Matt Donovan I don't think his first thought is uh-oh I might get hit hard if I make a move to the slot. Donovan has certainly improved but he doesn't give us an intimidating presence.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Leddy fits in very nicely with this team. A million different things can go wrong trying to "upgrade" to someone like Yandle. From something as simple as not fitting into the Islanders system, to not wanting to play for the Islanders and making it clear.

Leddy's RFA status hopefully means we can sign him to a long-term contract that isn't too unreasonable. I see him sticking with the Islanders even as Reinhart and Pulock develop into bonafide NHL defenseman.

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
Leddy fits in very nicely with this team. A million different things can go wrong trying to "upgrade" to someone like Yandle. From something as simple as not fitting into the Islanders system, to not wanting to play for the Islanders and making it clear.

Leddy's RFA status hopefully means we can sign him to a long-term contract that isn't too unreasonable. I see him sticking with the Islanders even as Reinhart and Pulock develop into bonafide NHL defenseman.

No reason he shouldn't. In an ideal world:

Leddy-Boychuk
Reinhart-Pulock
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Mayfield
Pelech-Donovan
Would be our pairings. Of course the #1,2,3 could vary but in a nutshell those should be the pairs.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
No reason he shouldn't. In an ideal world:

Leddy-Boychuk
Reinhart-Pulock
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Mayfield
Pelech-Donovan
Would be our pairings. Of course the #1,2,3 could vary but in a nutshell those should be the pairs.

Hickey will likely be better in the NHL than Reinhart and Pulock for the next two to three years. Just saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad