Rumor: Yandle/Yakupov

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
With Bailey and Grabner coming back, somthings gotta give...are we really prepared to play Grabner or Bailey on the 4th line? and are they prepared to except those roles?

I would love for Snow to trade for a legit 1st line LW for Johnny and Kyle

Dont know if TOR would do it, but what about somthing around Strome and JVR?

I'd hold off on making any trade like that until I see what Bailey can do in that spot. I've been waiting to see him there for a while now. Thought it would happen last year after the Olympic break, but Johnny went down. Would love to see it this year once he comes back.

If it works, we'll be set, and we can move Grabner for a future or two. Would honestly rather just keep Martin than stick Grabs on the 4th line.

Don't know if this is a topic worthy of it's own thread, but I read a tweet where Eklund is now saying there might be a trade between Winnipeg and the Isles for Evander Kane, he is giving it an E4. I'd assume someone like Lee or Strome would have to be one of the key prospects going back.Then Bailey or Grabner, as well as a top dman prospect as well. That would be my guess as to what would possibly get the highly doubtful trade done. I think Friedman was the one who tweeted it.

Kane could make more sense this year. We appear to be actual contenders + he's young enough to fit in long-term + we have the pieces to get him. Would still rather wait and see if we could fill that spot from within, but if it doesn't work out I'd consider taking a flier. Will probably be expensive though.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The Isles actually have too much depth right now. People say, "you can never have too much depth", but you can if it means you're going to lose or underutilize guys. I'm not sure if Kane is the guy (I think he'd be a great fit), but I would not be shocked to see them try to make a quantity for quality deal.

This is a forward-heavy deal that likely wouldn't happen, but if the Isles dealt Lee, Grabner and Bailey for Kane they'd basically be switching Lee and Kane from their current healthy roster. That illustrates the depth. Although the more likely thing would be 2 of those forwards plus a young D (where there's also a ton of depth).

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
(I don't think there's a legitimate chance of this happening, because Eklund is garbage; I just think it's an interesting conversation)

I actually think, say, Reinhart and Lee as the foundation of a deal would be fair for an established first line wing like Kane. I know people here love prospects, and I think very highly of Reinhart, but integrating both him and Pulock into the lineup over the next couple years is going to be a bit hard considering we all want to keep Boychuk long term. That said, why mess with the chemistry right now? We're fine.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
The Isles actually have too much depth right now. People say, "you can never have too much depth", but you can if it means you're going to lose or underutilize guys. I'm not sure if Kane is the guy (I think he'd be a great fit), but I would not be shocked to see them try to make a quantity for quality deal.

This is a forward-heavy deal that likely wouldn't happen, but if the Isles dealt Lee, Grabner and Bailey for Kane they'd basically be switching Lee and Kane from their current healthy roster. That illustrates the depth. Although the more likely thing would be 2 of those forwards plus a young D (where there's also a ton of depth).

And what happens when injuries hit? The depth is essential to have. Do you really want to call up Bridgeport guys?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
What would you get if Yandle and Yakupov went into a Star Trek transporter together? Yup

Naith Yandlepov. I bet Butch wouldn't want to be the Klingon waiting on the other end of that, though he has the forehead for it (a little).

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I personally have no interest in either Yandle or Yakupov considering what we'll likely have to give up to attain them. With the additions of Boychuk/Leddy, why do we need him? We have a slew of young d-men maturing in the AHL that could make a splash as early as mid-season. Pass on Yandle.

I don't understand the interest in Yakupov. He is a former #1 overall but his game hasn't progressed from a combination of things including the terrible handling of him by Edmonton. The guy doesn't play defense and his ELC is now up. Things could get ugly in the offseason with Edmonton and why do we need this guy again? The whole 'let's get him while his value is low crap' is overrated. He's EDM's problem, no need to bail them out unless it's highway robbery and that's not going to happen.

Agreed on both counts. We need an NHL-level coach, not another forward or d-man. If they throw enough dough at Boychuk, he'll re-sign, and with ho-sang, dal collie coming up, plus pulock, reinhardt, etc., I don't see a need on either front. Trade for Jon Quick or Carey Price for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, maybe - but I'd rather stand fast with a team that is 10-5 in second place and try to do everything humanly possible to get Mike Babcock than screw with the roster/farm system. Snow bit the dog with the Vanek and Nino fiascos (Nino had a hatter last night) but otherwise has done a decent job stocking the cupboards. He just needs to recognize when to fire the coach...

Babcock would have a bigger, more positive impact on this team than if we got Yandle and Yak for nothing...

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I watched Yandle against Vancouver last night, he is the missing piece for this team, let's face it, there is no one this defensive unit that will be a 65 point plus player any time.... Yandle is playing with inferior forwards right now and having success, imagine what he would do if he had JT, Strome, KO... I mean check his pass to Hanzal yesterday, perfect pass. CDH is good but he will never be in Yandle's league, you have KY with Hamonic in the first pairing, this team will be able to play with the best teams in a seven game series, and it won't make a difference who plays on the first line with JT and KO, as that player will get better chances playing with KY... we would have to sign Boychuk, but if you are dealing CDH, Pulock and Bailey to get Yandle, it is worth it.. we would have a strong 6 of KY, Hamonic, Boychuk, Leddy, HIckey and Reinhart for many years, and you can always add great dman in late rounds of the draft, some of the best dman come in the later rounds, plus we would have Pelech, Mayfield and others as depth.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I watched Yandle against Vancouver last night, he is the missing piece for this team, let's face it, there is no one this defensive unit that will be a 65 point plus player any time.... Yandle is playing with inferior forwards right now and having success, imagine what he would do if he had JT, Strome, KO... I mean check his pass to Hanzal yesterday, perfect pass. CDH is good but he will never be in Yandle's league, you have KY with Hamonic in the first pairing, this team will be able to play with the best teams in a seven game series, and it won't make a difference who plays on the first line with JT and KO, as that player will get better chances playing with KY... we would have to sign Boychuk, but if you are dealing CDH, Pulock and Bailey to get Yandle, it is worth it.. we would have a strong 6 of KY, Hamonic, Boychuk, Leddy, HIckey and Reinhart for many years, and you can always add great dman in late rounds of the draft, some of the best dman come in the later rounds, plus we would have Pelech, Mayfield and others as depth.

166.gif

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

Ive seen Yandle play many times, used to go to games regularly in arizona. He is a liability defensively, but he is a great skater and has some of the best offensive instincts from the blueline in the nhl. Having said that, i would not trade CDH and Pulock for him.

At this point in time i dont think they should make any trades, the team is gelling and playing good hockey. See what happens with Boychuk next summer before making any franchise changing trades.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Personally, Yandle would be the only true top pairing defenseman on this team and I have been a huge fan of his for years now. Plus he's a Boston boy, that's right up Garth's alley.

With that said, the asking price is going to be absolutely insane, and the Isles wouldn't be the only team interested. I don't think we have the expendable assets to get him.

I think this would be an offer the Coyotes would be expecting for Yandle: Leddy, Lee, 2016 1st

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Ive seen Yandle play many times, used to go to games regularly in arizona. He is a liability defensively, but he is a great skater and has some of the best offensive instincts from the blueline in the nhl. Having said that, i would not trade CDH and Pulock for him.

At this point in time i dont think they should make any trades, the team is gelling and playing good hockey. See what happens with Boychuk next summer before making any franchise changing trades.

He's been superb this year in his own zone, but yes, historically he hasn't been that great in his own zone.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The Ryan O'Reilly speculation thread spurred me to continue the Yandle thread (never mind Yakupov) since I think Yandle would be the perfect fit for the Isles and he's apparently expected to be dealt this year. Are there many better LH PP pointman in the league? Pair him with Boychuk now, and Pulock later, and IMO the Isles would have a PP that would intimidate other teams into changing their style of play to avoid penalties. And if the Isles sign Boychuk, and Pulock is full-time next year, we could have Leddy and Boychuk playing point on the second PP unit.

Also, at even strength Yandle would bring a dynamic puck-moving (carrying and passing) dimension that the Isles lack right now and will especially miss once Vis is gone. Vis and Leddy and de Haan are all fine, but Yandle is elite. And I don't see any LH d-men in the pipeline that would bring what he has. I'd consider him to be a much better Streit: yes his defensive game is not perfect, but when he's on the ice you're hopefully not going to spend that much time in your defensive zone. Not sure about his corsi/fenwick/johnson/richter/etc. numbers since I really don't know what they are anyway....

Oh, and if all of that isn't enough, Yandle is from New England! :) Seriously though, I think he may be more likely to sign long-term than O'Reilly (or probably many other top players) on a good team closer to home.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Leddy's play has justified not giving up assets to bring in Yandle, as much as I like him. But Leddy's been so great that there's no reason to trade for Yandle. I'd rather bring in a Hal Gill/Andy Sutton type.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Leddy's play has justified not giving up assets to bring in Yandle, as much as I like him. But Leddy's been so great that there's no reason to trade for Yandle. I'd rather bring in a Hal Gill/Andy Sutton type.

Agreed. It would also be nice if we could somehow get a younger version of Boychuk. That would really set our D up for awhile.

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island
Pulock is a younger Boychuk, more offense less physical. I doubt any moves will be made on defense. The forwards need work though.

In what sense do the forwards need work? They're in the top ten (possibly top 5) in scoring, and all four lines are rolling. Bailey is complimenting that top line nicely. At the moment I don't see any glaring problems in our forward group. The biggest issue as far as our forwards go is where does Grabner fit. I'm eager to hear what you see differently.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
In what sense do the forwards need work? They're in the top ten (possibly top 5) in scoring, and all four lines are rolling. Bailey is complimenting that top line nicely. At the moment I don't see any glaring problems in our forward group. The biggest issue as far as our forwards go is where does Grabner fit. I'm eager to hear what you see differently.

He hates Bailey, don't mind him.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Yandle is most certainly going to net a 1st in any trade that's constructed and they are going to want a 2015 first. Since we don't have one to give I believe Yandle is absolutely out of the question without an overpayment to rectify us not having a 1st to give.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Really not looking to get Yandle. Been loving Leddy as of late. Yandle is in his prime now, but Leddy is only 23 and he's only going to get better, which is crazy because he's pretty damn good now. I love his shot and watching him skate is pure poetry.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
About me: Long time Whalers fan and hated the Islanders and their dynasty when I was a kid. A few years back I have adopted the Islanders as my team. Now I am an Islanders fan.

Someone - as an adult no less- willingly became an Islanders fan? Were you being held in kim jong ill's sub-basement room 101 with the rat cage on your head? ;)

Welcome aboard the capuano express, where you'll learn the art of the 3-goal late 3rd period blown lead and first-round flameout in technicolor...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad