Confirmed with Link: Yams signed 1 year @ $1.175

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
So what is the best way to maximize LTIR for the first game of the season now? Can they potentially optimize it so that, baring any other injuries or a trade, they might have a bit of extra cap space to add at the deadline? If they send Koskinen down prior to Day 1 of the season and are below the upper cap limit before they put Klefbom on LTIR does that help them with regards to rookie bonuses and potential cap overages for next year?

I suppose these are paging @Fourier types of questions.

I'm not an expert on it, but I believe you want Klefbom on opening night roster while remaining just under, but as close to the $81.5M you can get. Then LTIR Klefbom and call guys up to fill out the roster. I think with the team salary we have right now ($84.3M), we should be able to send guys down to get just under the the 81.5, then LTIR Klefbom and call everyone up to have about $1.1M of space with a 23 man roster for additions at the trade deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Good deal with a very low cap hit. I'm confident we can sign him again next year since Koskinen will almost certainly be gone. No complaints here! Even if we can't, we can always trade him.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Thank God!! Now, I'm officially excited for next season.

Yamamoto is a really, really useful player and if the coach gives him a chance (please God, with Drai and RNH), I believe he's going to have a solid season.

One reason I really like this player is that his dogged determination to chase down pucks and put pressure on the opposition with his fore-check is way higher than anybody else on the Oilers. He's therefore a very useful player even if he's not scoring, which you can't say about, say, RNH.

Even last season, when he supposedly was this big disaster and had a long slump in the latter half, Yamamoto finished:
- 2nd in scoring among wingers
- 4th in even-strength points among forwards
- 5th in scoring among forwards
- 4th on the club in plus/minus

And this is him at what seemed to be his worst, and with basically no power-play time. The club cannot afford to lose him, and we have not seen his best yet.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Perfect price point for this player. I don't see much future here. Pool party outscored him. He's not effective at all in the playoffs, even in his breakout year. Not enough skill for a little guy. Prove me wrong and good luck KY !!!

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Like others have said, Yamomoto is a decent middle six player, he has the skill to produce at the NHL level and forechecks hard for his size. A quality complimentary/support line mate, not that anyone is expecting him to drive a line. But he is good at puck retrieval and when the DRY line was on fire he knew where to go to be productive (hopefully that returns this season).

I like the contract, I was expecting closer to 1.5 million. But its a very good show me deal, hope fully he can produce more constantly and find a spot on 2/3RW.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Move Kassian next season and any worries about cap space disappears.

NHL GMs generally are stuck in the past with players like Kassian, and I personally feel you could find a GM that would consider Kassian with only 2 years left. Dinosaur GMs and all that.

In the theoretically world you move Kassian, and with contracts coming off the books and the 1 million raise in cap space, that's about 7.35 million in space.
Who in their right mind would take Kassian? Besides us, of course.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't see much future here. Pool party outscored him. He's not effective at all in the playoffs, even in his breakout year. Not enough skill for a little guy. Prove me wrong and good luck KY !!!
Geez, tough crowd. Puljujarvi outscored Yamamoto by a grand total of 0.05 points-per-game (i.e., 4 points per year), and that after spending the entire season stapled to McDavid, who had one of the historically great seasons in NHL history.

72% of Puljujarvi's points involved McDavid, while 48% of Yamo's points involved Draisaitl.

Yamamoto admittedly has been subpar in the playoffs so far, but in 2020 it was the result of the coach deciding to break-up the best line in the NHL two games before the Covid-shutdown (for no apparent reason), which is kind of tough when you're a rookie; and in 2021 Yamamoto was in his slump when the playoffs started and just never got back on track. Then again, with about 25 minutes more ice-time (pretty much all with McDavid, I remind), Puljujarvi managed to produce 1 more point than Yamamoto.

Yamo thus far has 1 point every 2 games in his NHL career, while Puljujarvi has less than 1 point every 3 games.

All Oilers' fans should be supporting and trying to keep both of these young players.

Reactions: Throttlehead

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

Got this from a certain other board where they are a) complaining that Kailer is a ‘dirty rat’ and b) congratulating themselves on signing Dube to a deal that costs the team 5x more. Typical delusional stuff. :rolleyes:

I do like this video though. Yamamoto taking a play right out of the Flames book.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Any team in the NHL would take Yamamoto for $1.175 million. There's players that are paid 3-4 times as much around the league that will likely have a season coming up that is overall equal to or barely better than what Yamamoto will provide this coming season. This contract will probably have the best cost per point ratio of anyone on the team unless someone like Perlini/Benson really blows up this year... and even then I doubt they outscore Yamamoto on a points basis.

A hungry Yamamoto is likely going to show up and make doubters eat their words and if not... the team is on the hook for nothing so there's zero risk. You either walk away from a player who did nothing or pay the man for a job well done.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Yamamoto is a really, really useful player and if the coach gives him a chance (please God, with Drai and RNH), I believe he's going to have a solid season.

One reason I really like this player is that his dogged determination to chase down pucks and put pressure on the opposition with his fore-check is way higher than anybody else on the Oilers. He's therefore a very useful player even if he's not scoring, which you can't say about, say, RNH.

Even last season, when he supposedly was this big disaster and had a long slump in the latter half, Yamamoto finished:

And this is him at what seemed to be his worst, and with basically no power-play time. The club cannot afford to lose him, and we have not seen his best yet.
Yamamoto needs to show he can play away from drai and mcd. Otherwise he’s useless to us.

Reactions: Aerchon

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I think Tippett gave him chances. The problem is that he's the smallest player on his line and the first to go into the corners to retrieve pucks while Drai and Kahun followed later-if at all. When he managed to retrieve the puck successfully like 2 years ago, line was successful. When he didn't, we get last year Yams. Teams are pretty much expecting him to be the first guy in; they just wait and beat the snot out of him in the corner.

If either Drai or Nuge/whomever come in support, I think he'll have a good year.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Hyman-McD-JP
Foegele-Drai-Yamo
RNH-Ryan-(Kassian/Turris/Archibald/Sceviour/Marody)
(Benson/Perlini/Shore)-McLeod-(Kassian/Turris/Archibald/Sceviour/Marody)

So many options now and I think no matter which way you cut it... that should be a more difficult roster to play against for opponents.

That 3rd line (whatever combo they come up with) is going to turn from weakness to strength for this forward group as it's going to be tougher for teams to key on Drai/McDavid.

Edit... just looked at the handedness of that forward group and it's now nicely balanced... 9 right shots and 8 left shots among those 17 forwards above... which I think is a better balance than they've had in the past.

Last year it was 10 left shots and 8 right shots among the forwards... and the year before it was 13 left shots and 7 right shots among the forwards... so they've gradually got it more in balance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Got this from a certain other board where they are a) complaining that Kailer is a ‘dirty rat’ and b) congratulating themselves on signing Dube to a deal that costs the team 5x more. Typical delusional stuff. :rolleyes:

I do like this video though. Yamamoto taking a play right out of the Flames book.

Lol this made me laugh.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Geez, tough crowd. Puljujarvi outscored Yamamoto by a grand total of 0.05 points-per-game (i.e., 4 points per year), and that after spending the entire season stapled to McDavid, who had one of the historically great seasons in NHL history.

72% of Puljujarvi's points involved McDavid, while 48% of Yamo's points involved Draisaitl.

Yamamoto admittedly has been subpar in the playoffs so far, but in 2020 it was the result of the coach deciding to break-up the best line in the NHL two games before the Covid-shutdown (for no apparent reason), which is kind of tough when you're a rookie; and in 2021 Yamamoto was in his slump when the playoffs started and just never got back on track. Then again, with about 25 minutes more ice-time (pretty much all with McDavid, I remind), Puljujarvi managed to produce 1 more point than Yamamoto.

Yamo thus far has 1 point every 2 games in his NHL career, while Puljujarvi has less than 1 point every 3 games.

All Oilers' fans should be supporting and trying to keep both of these young players.
Unfortunately, I don't see how we keep them both. Even if they both got moderate raises, like 3 million AAV or something, there just isn't the cap. If one exploded and justified a long term deal like what Hyman or RNH got, that player is basically gone (Yama seemed to pick Farabee as the comp). We need to get a goalie still, so Koskinen's cash is reserved, and we have to find 3.5 ish for Nurse's raise. The cap will only go up 1 million. If only Yama's re-sign could have been put off one year, we would have been clear of Keith's deal and the Sekera buyout. But even there, we should be expecting some D spending to replace Keith. The Bouchard extension would be soon after, and imo we should expect it to be sizeable.

The obvious is trading Kassian, but even there, I don't see it so much. I don't buy that other GMs want him at all. Cap space is too critical now, and if we did trade him, retaining anything makes the trade pointless. For instance, the Rangers were rumored to be interested, but then just got a cheaper and better physical option. Unless Kassian really turns himself around, the league will be absolutely full of cheaper and better options.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think it's a a good and fair deal for both parties, that will not hamstring us, like so many others have. Take care of today, which Holland did, and then deal with the future, whatever that holds.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

I like how Yamamoto kicks Andersson's left leg, but it's his right leg that buckles.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I take 'dumps' on shitty effort in GDTs and not certain players. If only Drai/Nuge had the tenacity like Yama/Archibald.

Yeah if only Drai and Nugent Hopkins were more like Yama and Archibald... Thats your honest take eh?

I mean you couldn't possibly really have this view but this is what your trotting out there. I'll take a dump on your player assessment any day of the week.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I take 'dumps' on shitty effort in GDTs and not certain players. If only Drai/Nuge had the tenacity like Yama/Archibald.
Guys like Archibald have more opportunities to show their "tenacity" because they are chasing the play more often than not and have more times they need to get the puck back.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not a fan of this. Holland needed to get a 2 year deal here now we are in tough next summer.

If both Pulju and Yams have good seasons likely we have to trade a 1st to get Seattle to take Keith like the Leafs had to dump Marleau.

We need to spend Koskinen's expiring deal on a new goalie so you can't count on that.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yeah if only Drai and Nugent Hopkins were more like Yama and Archibald... Thats your honest take eh?

I mean you couldn't possibly really have this view but this is what your trotting out there. I'll take a dump on your player assessment any day of the week.
Amd how is that different than what you normally do around here?

Bringing in player who doesn't belong in this thread just because he isn't worshipped by me.

Keep dumping on whatever you want. I am wishing Yama all the best.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Guys like Archibald have more opportunities to show their "tenacity" because they are chasing the play more often than not and have more times they need to get the puck back.
Not really.. Yama and Archi go and get the puck from the other teams where guys like Nuge and Drai would often give up and float back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad