Confirmed with Link: Yams signed 1 year @ $1.175

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton

I would have preference 2 years though but I’m glad that he is good to go before training camp, that is all that matters rn. Hopefully the Honey Badger is back with a vengeance!!!

F57BCD44-A4F2-4D87-8808-D07B640F1996.jpeg

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Holland: "You're not getting north of two million just yet so don't ask. One year, $1.175 million and show me you're worth the heavier investment. Final offer or I'm trading you to that shit hole Calgary where you can play with shit hole players."

Yamo: "Do you prefer your contracts signed in blue or black ink?"

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's a low AAV, in a bad way. Holland probably pushed hard for some term on the deal, and Yamamoto wanted one year. The compromise ended up being that Yamamoto won, but that he's making less cash. That doesn't even help us. We'll just claim less LTIR.

In other words, Holland screwed up. He basically ensured that one of Yama or Puljujarvi are gone next year. With this and other moves, I'm questioning Holland's ability to negotiate.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It's a low AAV, in a bad way. Holland probably pushed hard for some term on the deal, and Yamamoto wanted one year. The compromise ended up being that Yamamoto won, but that he's making less cash. That doesn't even help us. We'll just claim less LTIR.

In other words, Holland screwed up. He basically ensured that one of Yama or Puljujarvi are gone next year. With this and other moves, I'm questioning Holland's ability to negotiate.
What? Huh?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

LOL

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

????
Or we trade out from other cap to keep them. A low deal does help us cause yes we claim less LTIR but it gives the team more flexibility in season to add a player and helps if we need to move for a goalie. I don't think we ever were going to be able to keep both long term anyways. Keep the better of the two, trade the RFA rights of the other and full that spot with depth etc

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
????
Or we trade out from other cap to keep them. A low deal does help us cause yes we claim less LTIR but it gives the team more flexibility in season to add a player and helps if we need to move for a goalie. I don't think we ever were going to be able to keep both long term anyways. Keep the better of the two, trade the RFA rights of the other and full that spot with depth etc
there's some nuance in the LTIR I don't understand, but I do know that if you don't claim it early, it's not like you just get to use it later. I don't know the exact rule, and few do, but either way, the roster is done, and if we were adding later, there would have been options to move out more cap, or more LTIR from other injuries we might have had. Ultimately I don't think moving from something like a 1.75 starting point to a 1.1 deal is significant enough for me.

I also have a lot of faith in Yamamoto's ability to bounce back from last year, especially with the improvements in the forward depth. So if both him and JP get a very likely bump in stats, all of a sudden the cap math is no longer there.

I should point out that the reason I don't like this is because I love the player. I want him to stay here.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
there's some nuance in the LTIR I don't understand, but I do know that if you don't claim it early, it's not like you just get to use it later. I don't know the exact rule, and few do, but either way, the roster is done, and if we were adding later, there would have been options to move out more cap, or more LTIR from other injuries we might have had. Ultimately I don't think moving from something like a 1.75 starting point to a 1.1 deal is significant enough for me.

I also have a lot of faith in Yamamoto's ability to bounce back from last year, especially with the improvements in the forward depth. So if both him and JP get a very likely bump in stats, all of a sudden the cap math is no longer there.

I should point out that the reason I don't like this is because I love the player. I want him to stay here.
There is always options though and it depends how players do this season. Kassian can be moved.

Right now with no cap raise we have 7 mill in space for a starting goalie, Pulju, Yamamoto and 2 forwards. Having Yamamoto signed means yeah one less player to sign but less capspace. No matter what we are moving guys next off season to have our team. Imho this is a challenge to both Yamamoto and Pulju to step up. Winner stays, loser moves on.

Reactions: North

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Great number but would have much rather 2 years for more. A young forward will have to be traded next year

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There is always options though and it depends how players do this season. Kassian can be moved.

Right now with no cap raise we have 7 mill in space for a starting goalie, Pulju, Yamamoto and 2 forwards. Having Yamamoto signed means yeah one less player to sign but less capspace. No matter what we are moving guys next off season to have our team. Imho this is a challenge to both Yamamoto and Pulju to step up. Winner stays, loser moves on.

That's fair. I'd also say that I know these threads are more about celebrating a player than throwing cold water on it, but I really thought it was going to be 2 or 3 years. With the Nurse signing, it was for more money that I thought it should be, but I can set that aside and say maybe we just didn't read the market right, and at least it meant he was staying long term. But maybe I'm not reading the cap options right on Yamamoto, or maybe a bit too much faith in both him and Puljujarvi to have big years.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Great number but would have much rather 2 years for more. A young forward will have to be traded next year
I think it will be Yamamoto. I think he is closer to last year than his first year imo. Definitely somewhere in the middle but closer to a 3rd line scoring forward than some phenomenal top 6 winger.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If he doesn't make it happen this year i don't see why we would keep him longterm. I don't see him as a guy I want playing in the bottom 6.

If he can't make it work with Draisaitl or McDavid i'd rather move him for help in another areas of need like finding a long term solution in goal for example.
Yeah, with Lavoie, Holloway, Benson, Marody all as potential options to replace him too if he doesn't perform. 2 of those top 6 spots will most likely always be filled with guys coming in and out with Hyamn, Nuge, Drai and McDavid being the staples.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I don't look at this contract and say Yama won. Very clearly he didn't get the kind of coin of comparables that were talked about. The difficulty for Yama now is to have a show me year when suddenly the Oilers have other topsix options. I think Yama will show some rebound, he has to, but that it won't be enough to parlay into a next contract that he wants. He had a primo seat for a couple years. Vintage opportunity, and he drove that to this. He had about the worst year possible for him to have leading up to a contract. The same player now has to face the pressure of a show me situation and while being very young.

Nor do I look at this as Holland screwed up, or that we have to lose one of these players. I mean one could say the Hyman deal leads to that, but not this show me contract alone. I think in anycase that the team moves forward with Pulju and not necessarily Yama. That this pay got so low means there was some for real hardball and the Oilers taking a clear take it or leave it approach. Which signals to me that Yama isn't big in the plans anymore as per last season.

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
Two years would’ve been better for the team. If Yamo has a good year I doubt we will be able to afford him next season.

Totally agree with this. It may be a "show-me" deal on both sides but the guy is gonna get points just being in the vicinity of McDrai, and when he inevitably outplays this deal, he will rightfully expect a raise which we will have trouble giving him, right when we could really use a guy like him for under market value.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Totally agree with this. It may be a "show-me" deal on both sides but the guy is gonna get points just being in the vicinity of McDrai, and when he inevitably outplays this deal, he will rightfully expect a raise which we will have trouble giving him, right when we could really use a guy like him for under market value.
He sure didn’t last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad