Votes: 71 53.8%

• Total voters

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
JP compared to Todd Bertuzzi.

I have seen it all.

I think even you know that he wasn't comparing JP the player to bertuzzi, just the situation. The guy he quoted said why would their be a miraculous turnaround with JP and he replied saying Bertuzzi as an example of a "miraculous turnaround".

Everyone knows JP and Bertuzzi are nothing a like as players - just their career projectory so far has some similarities as they were high pedigree, stagnated forwards.

I feel like that was obvious.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I find it hilarious that all the fanboys expect some miraculous turnaround in Puljujarvi's game.

He can have all the speed and size and effort in the league, but the lack of offensive instincts and weak hands are going to let him down over and over again, and those skills are not ones you can fix in an offseason.

I have no issue giving this player a shot before UFA, but the rubber is going to meet the road real soon, his last RFA contract plays a large part in his UFA ceiling, and as an incomplete player, he's going to be hard pressed to put up the kind of boxcar numbers on the third line (especially away from McDavid's coattails) that gets him the contract he assumes he's going to get.

I suspect this is exactly why his agent is posturing for a move.
You underrate his offensive Instincts and hands

Reactions: oilers'72

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Just throwing this out there but why does Pulju never get time on the pk?

He has a huge wingspan, good first stride, can cover a lot of area, is solid own zone player in EV play and is good without the puck, has rarely been tried on pk and yet has never been on ice for a PP GA. I mean only 3-4minutes but why no further attempts? Our PP struggled this season for a longtime. Why was Pulju not even tried on it?

Probably the Oilers trying to cater to him and his agent and make them happy but having him focus exclusively on trying to be a top 6 player.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Probably the Oilers trying to cater to him and his agent and make them happy but having him focus exclusively on trying to be a top 6 player.
After the season ended Woodcroft said he's planning to try Puljujarvi on PK. And when he returned to the Oilers Puljujarvi said the following:

I want to be better physically and more versatile. I am not just an offensively driven player but I can do fine on the PK and in the defensive side.

I think there are good reasons to believe Pulju would be happy to play PK, although he'd be even happier to play on the PP. I expect to see Pulju more in the special teams next season, but I could be wrong.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
About a 3rd line role... When Puljujarvi returned to the Oilers he also said about being more mature and ready to fight for his role:

Absolutely. I have to keep on developing and if my place is e.g. in the 3rd line I'll do all I can and work hard. I want to earn the minutes and keep developing my game.

Of course we don't know how things are now, but I expect him to be happy in any line or role as long as he feels that's all he deserves.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Jesse is hard to have a full opinion on since we merely speculate on if he will play anywhere in the lineup or not. How much does he and his agent beleive he is worth and how great of a star.

As a lower cost player I love the guy. Call him a Todd Marchant with some more size at a decent price and I want that player on my team.

But if cost is too high and he won't play anywhere in the lineup I am ok with moving him as he is not core to the team.

Players will sign with the oilers right now so we don't have to hold onto every asset as if without them we are icing an AHL player to replace them

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
About a 3rd line role... When Puljujarvi returned to the Oilers he also said about being more mature and ready to fight for his role:

Absolutely. I have to keep on developing and if my place is e.g. in the 3rd line I'll do all I can and work hard. I want to earn the minutes and keep developing my game.

Of course we don't know how things are now, but I expect him to be happy in any line or role as long as he feels that's all he deserves.
This is precisely the attitude he needs to have. People mention Nichushkin as a a possible forward path for JP. This is a player that learned his craft playing in the bottom six.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Wonder if the Ducks would do Pulju for Comtois? Saves us almost a mil, which should give just enough room for McLeod on a 1 yr deal (1.125 would be the same 2nd contract number Yammi and Pulju both signed for).

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
JP for me, by a small margin

His defensive ability is just way to good to pass up. They both are pretty equal offensively

I like both though and hope both remain with us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad