Player Discussion Yak Talk Part V: So Very Tired

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If the Oilers want to make some noise this year, they need to do everything they can to shelter McDavid with favourable matchups and cherry zone starts. If you're talking about things that limit the team's ability to win, then feeding him to the wolves right now is right up there.

I also have to laugh at the notion going around that there's any urgency among management to win at this point. It's pretty clear that they're prepared to let things ride for another season yet.

Agreed. If McLellan is letting McDavid match up against top players all year, he's doing it wrong. Quenneville was able to keep the top scorer in the NHL away from top competition all year and gave Kane's line great zone starts. We need another line, likely C'd by Nuge to play the tough minutes, and ideally it's a line with veteran wingers able to handle the load and generate offence as well. There's no excuse for throwing McDavid to the wolves in his 2nd year. Year 4, 5 and so on, sure, McDavid can probably handle anything you throw at him, but he's still developing today.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
If the Oilers want to make some noise this year, they need to do everything they can to shelter McDavid with favourable matchups and cherry zone starts. If you're talking about things that limit the team's ability to win, then feeding him to the wolves right now is right up there.

I also have to laugh at the notion going around that there's any urgency among management to win at this point. It's pretty clear that they're prepared to let things ride for another season yet.

Huh?

Sinking their teeth into a massive Lucic contract that could explode in their faces down the road, with the hope that they get lots out of him at the front of the contract, screams a team desperately looking to improve now.

Moving your best player for a top end defensive blueliner is also a hail mary type move that demonstrates the same thing.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Huh?

Sinking their teeth into a massive Lucic contract that could explode in their faces down the road, with the hope that they get lots out of him at the front of the contract, screams a team desperately looking to improve now.

Moving your best player for a top end defensive blueliner is also a hail mary type move that demonstrates the same thing.

The Hall trade is the opposite of a win-now move unless they think Larsson is going to do a Hedman this year and break out in a big way. Rolling into the season with a top 2 D who are under 24 years old and with no real fall back option and no RH PP QB indicates to me they aren't feeling the urgency this year. My money is they see this as a development year where they move up a few spots, but don't have any illusions about competing in the near term. The other option is they think the team as-is is just fine, which means they are delusional.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
The Hall trade is the opposite of a win-now move unless they think Larsson is going to do a Hedman this year and break out in a big way. Rolling into the season with a top 2 D who are under 24 years old and with no real fall back option and no RH PP QB indicates to me they aren't feeling the urgency this year. My money is they see this as a development year where they move up a few spots, but don't have any illusions about competing in the near term. The other option is they think the team as-is is just fine, which means they are delusional.

Interesting take. How two people can look at a team that has made trades, and come to two totally opposite viewpoints as to what that means, is what makes sports fascinating.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Interesting take. How two people can look at a team that has made trades, and come to two totally opposite viewpoints as to what that means, is what makes sports fascinating.

There's a third option: we're both right and they don't really know what they are doing. :help:

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

I'd argue the other way. Going into the season without improving the defence would have been another example of just waiting for the team to get better and I do think they hope maybe more than expect Larsson to break out on this team. There is obvious pressure to succeed in the new building, trading Hall was probably in part because of that pressure. Now, there hope in Larsson may be misplaced. Maybe he'll never be more than a good defensive guy with not much offence and maybe he cant create a real top pairing with Klefbom but I'm pretty sure they believe he can and that it will happen soon.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Was at the game tonight, tried to watch Yak pretty closely, felt he did a lot more good than bad.

Through the rookie tourney/UofA game, I felt Puljujarvi might supplant Yak, but there is still a kid there and there's risks to his game he hasn't eliminated. Could definitely see Puljujarvi starting in the AHL (which is probably good because he can hang with Pakarinen, not sure IP is making this team).

I'll eat crow on Puljujarvi being NHL ready (as well as our best defensive RW). I know it's one game, but I thought Yak did more tonight offensively and didn't have the glaring giveaway Puljujarvi did. Could change by next game, but I don't get the people ready to ship Yak off because his first showing didn't wow them.

Either way, it's good to finally have legit battles for roster spots. Would like to see Maroon-Drai-Yak as a unit again.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Was at the game tonight, tried to watch Yak pretty closely, felt he did a lot more good than bad.

Through the rookie tourney/UofA game, I felt Puljujarvi might supplant Yak, but there is still a kid there and there's risks to his game he hasn't eliminated. Could definitely see Puljujarvi starting in the AHL (which is probably good because he can hang with Pakarinen, not sure IP is making this team).

I'll eat crow on Puljujarvi being NHL ready (as well as our best defensive RW). I know it's one game, but I thought Yak did more tonight offensively and didn't have the glaring giveaway Puljujarvi did. Could change by next game, but I don't get the people ready to ship Yak off because his first showing didn't wow them.

Either way, it's good to finally have legit battles for roster spots. Would like to see Maroon-Drai-Yak as a unit again.

I agree with a lot of what you write here. Puljujarvi looks like he needs at least part of the season in the AHL but Yak was Yak. He looked dangerous but he accomplished nothing. Moved the puck a bit but never got it to any dangerous spots, never got off a great shot heck he only had one all night so barely anything never set anybody up. It's why he's so frustrating because he looks like he should be a good player but it just never leads to anything.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I agree with a lot of what you write here. Puljujarvi looks like he needs at least part of the season in the AHL but Yak was Yak. He looked dangerous but he accomplished nothing. Moved the puck a bit but never got it to any dangerous spots, never got off a great shot heck he only had one all night so barely anything never set anybody up. It's why he's so frustrating because he looks like he should be a good player but it just never leads to anything.

I thought the shot he got off was a good scoring chance - came down the right wing, did a hesitation fake to the inside then burst wide on the dman, tried to go 5 hole and kept the puck low (where prime rebound opportunities occurr). He went to the net hard a number of times (almost potted an open net rebound but the puck bounced over his stick), drew a penalty, and cycled down low fairly well. For me, it at least warrants another look with Drai and Maroon.

I don't want to come off as a complete Yak fanboy, there were a few plays where his decision making/anticipation of the play frustrated me, but I thought he had a pretty good game.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I thought the shot he got off was a good scoring chance - came down the right wing, did a hesitation fake to the inside then burst wide on the dman, tried to go 5 hole and kept the puck low (where prime rebound opportunities occurr). He went to the net hard a number of times (almost potted an open net rebound but the puck bounced over his stick), drew a penalty, and cycled down low fairly well. For me, it at least warrants another look with Drai and Maroon.

I don't want to come off as a complete Yak fanboy, there were a few plays where his decision making/anticipation of the play frustrated me, but I thought he had a pretty good game.

Sure and I dont want to sound like a Yak hater because he does look good a lot of the time and he did look good last night. It's just that he got time with the first line, he was matched up against an AHL lineup and he still failed to produce. When he gets these chances he needs to do something. That game showed why he wont be here next year even if he lasts through this one. Letestu, Pouliot, Maroon all showed why they do more to help this team win then he did last night and that's without the actual first line playing. It's really hard to see any way he is protected in the expansion draft if this is the best he can show. I doubt the waiver wire talk but I also think if he ever makes it in this league it's going to be in Vegas or the next stop after that.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Yakupov looked good last night.. A 3 star worthy performance.
Would only raise his trade value considering there were some scouts in attendance.
We might now get a 3rd instead of a cap dump.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yakupov looked good last night.. A 3 star worthy performance.
Would only raise his trade value considering there were some scouts in attendance.
We might now get a 3rd instead of a cap dump.

One game in pre-season against AHL'ers means very little. Yak needs to string about 20+ regular season games together.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Sure and I dont want to sound like a Yak hater because he does look good a lot of the time and he did look good last night. It's just that he got time with the first line, he was matched up against an AHL lineup and he still failed to produce. When he gets these chances he needs to do something. That game showed why he wont be here next year even if he lasts through this one. Letestu, Pouliot, Maroon all showed why they do more to help this team win then he did last night and that's without the actual first line playing. It's really hard to see any way he is protected in the expansion draft if this is the best he can show. I doubt the waiver wire talk but I also think if he ever makes it in this league it's going to be in Vegas or the next stop after that.

So Yak looked good because he was not playing with checkers and got time on the first line? Stupid coach giving a skilled offensive forward offensive time.. Yak didnt have to be the first forward back and it gave him a jump in the offensive zone. By your logic RNH looked good because he played top minutes but is useless because he failed to produce.
Yak needs to go to a team where rules arent the same for everyone and players are utilized to their strengths instead of a communist strategy.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No kidding, he can't do that now though, so we have to evaluate him on what he can actually do at the moment.

Lets not get carried away though and imply (like some are doing) that he just increased his value after 1 pre-season game.

Yak has a major hole to dig himself out of and thats going to take time.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
One game in pre-season against AHL'ers means very little. Yak needs to string about 20+ regular season games together.

doubt that will happen in Edmonton.. The media and coaches have pretty much run him out of town.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Lets not get carried away though and imply (like some are doing) that he just increased his value after 1 pre-season game.

increased to a 3rd round pick is what I said... No one is expecting the moon for him..
Also, Yak doesnt really need to dig himself out of anything.. He just needs to ignore the media and (some) fans and just play his game..

Slapshots every chance his gets and cellys every time he scores.. Not happening in Edmonton though

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
doubt that will happen in Edmonton.. The media and coaches have pretty much run him out of town.

Must be hard for coaches in this situation. They're under enormous pressure to produce winners and they don't have a lot of time to coddle players that are struggling to make an impact.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I don't think he has, my assessment from being there last night was that I don't see him as a top-9 forward on this team this year.

He did some things well, he had good moments. There were positives to build from last night, but he's likely on the outside looking in.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
McDavid was interviewed by Reid Wilkins on Oilers Now and he was asked what it means to be the Captain. The first thing he spoke about was about giving everyone a voice in the room so that nobody feels left out. Something to that effect. Was this a reference to the long rumoured rift between Yak and other teammates(Hall)?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Must be hard for coaches in this situation. They're under enormous pressure to produce winners and they don't have a lot of time to coddle players that are struggling to make an impact.

Kruger found a way.
Eakins and rest tried to paint the whole team with one brush getting all to play the same system.

Even now Eberle and Lucic expect to cycle the puck with McDavid.. That is not how he scores his points. He needs to get the puck in the neutral zone with speed to be most effective.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
McDavid was interviewed by Reid Wilkins on Oilers Now and he was asked what it means to be the Captain. The first thing he spoke about was about giving everyone a voice in the room so that nobody feels left out. Something to that effect. Was this a reference to the long rumoured rift between Yak and other teammates(Hall)?

biggest Yak hater on the radio.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
_

No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad