Player Discussion Yak Talk Part V: So Very Tired

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Lets not and say we did, and just wait to see during training camp if he can actually win a spot on the roster.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
McCanovin said:
Maroon was amazing with time with McDavid no doubt. If I had to put the players in order of effectiveness with McDavid. Its Maroon>Pou>Yak>Ebs.

bobbythebrain said:
Yak's 2 goals over Ebs?

That statement by McCanovin explains a lot. :help:

Honestly...what a ridiculous post. Tough to take the poster seriously when he posts junk like that. :shakehead

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I read the last few pages of the last thread. There were some very good and obvious points made by certain posters. I will be very surprised and pleased if something changes in the next Month or 2 with Yak. I have very serious doubts though.

Go Oilers.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

Wanted to make a contribution. Hope everything goes well and he breaks out this year!!!!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Honestly...what a ridiculous post. Tough to take the poster seriously when he posts junk like that. :shakehead

Perhaps he meant how effective the player is with McDavid in comparison to how effective they are away from McDavid. If that were the case his post makes sense. Maroon and Yak produced miles better with McDavid than they have on lines without McDavid, Pouliot produced somewhat better with McDavid than he did away from McDavid, and Eberle produced around the same with McDavid as he has in past seasons without McDavid.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

The last thread was at its limit and I had tennis so I was in rush. Didn't have time to paraphrase it.

To elaborate. It's not ridiculous. This is not a comparison between Ebs and Yak over their career. It's the time they spent with McDavid. Yak, Pou, and Maroon were consistent. Each game they either registered a point or keep the fire going for McDavid. Whereas Ebs was very hot against weak teams. Ottawa, Toronto, Columbus etc. Scoring multiple points and went cold against tougher teams. Floated the rest of the season while Maroon-McDavid still kept fighting through. Ebs obviously had the most points with McDavid. He also played the most with McDavid. But if I had to based the synergy and effectiveness of each players had with McDavid. It's Maroon>Pou>Yak>Ebs. All did good but this was how I saw it IMO

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
belair said:
Provide something tangible? You've given me a **** ton of hyperbole. Am I just supposed to take your word for it that you've been sitting in the stands during his practices?

You've read and seen a few (sometimes vague) articles and interviews about him *****ing about ice-time, usage and the like and have decided this is what he's always like. I get it.

Please do point out the 'hyperbole' in my post. All of these items were reported by Stauffer et al. Yak has indeed separated himself from the rest of the team at practices. Multiple sources have confirmed this.
Yak has indeed run to his agent about ice time and deployment. Yak does have issues acknowledging his deficiencies (I have heard this from Yak himself in interviews...abject denial)

So if you have evidence to the contrary then by all means post it.

My opinion on Yak isnt supporting a preconceived opinion of the player. I have formed my opinion based on his play and his actions over the years. Patterns matter.

It would seem to me that you have decided that you (and a few others) really like the player and are a closed book in terms of acknowledging his many weaknesses and issues. As such you dismiss any narrative that doesn't match the one you adopted.

So there is a distinct difference in how we process any past and present information on this player.

I have yet to hear or read reports that contradict what I have posted. If there was something I would most certainly acknowledge it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Please do point out the 'hyperbole' in my post. All of these items were reported by Stauffer et al. Yak has indeed separated himself from the rest of the team at practices. Multiple sources have confirmed this.
Yak has indeed run to his agent about ice time and deployment. Yak does have issues acknowledging his deficiencies (I have heard this from Yak himself in interviews...abject denial)

So if you have evidence to the contrary then by all means post it.

My opinion on Yak isnt supporting a preconceived opinion of the player. I have formed my opinion based on his play and his actions over the years. Patterns matter.

It would seem to me that you have decided that you (and a few others) really like the player and are a closed book in terms of acknowledging his many weaknesses and issues. As such you dismiss any narrative that doesn't match the one you adopted.

So there is a distinct difference in how we process any past and present information on this player.

I have yet to hear or read reports that contradict what I have posted. If there was something I would most certainly acknowledge it.

Have you hear the audio of what Scrivens said about Yak? The kid just wants to play.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The last thread was at its limit and I had tennis so I was in rush. Didn't have time to paraphrase it.

To elaborate. It's not ridiculous. This is not a comparison between Ebs and Yak over their career. It's the time they spent with McDavid. Yak, Pou, and Maroon were consistent. Each game they either registered a point or keep the fire going for McDavid. Whereas Ebs was very hot against weak teams. Ottawa, Toronto, Columbus etc. Scoring multiple points and went cold against tougher teams. Floated the rest of the season while Maroon-McDavid still kept fighting through. Ebs obviously had the most points with McDavid. He also played the most with McDavid. But if I had to based the synergy and effectiveness of each players had with McDavid. It's Maroon>Pou>Yak>Ebs. All did good but this was how I saw it IMO

Yak scored 2 goals in 10 games on McDavid's wing. Eberle equalled that total in 2 periods.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Yak scored 2 goals in 10 games on McDavid's wing. Eberle equalled that total in 2 periods.

But..Yak LOOKED good with McDavid, you know?

Facetiousness aside, I agree. Eberle is by far and away the most natural choice.
Anyone who says otherwise is just doing so for the sake of counterculture.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
But..Yak LOOKED good with McDavid, you know?

Facetiousness aside, I agree. Eberle is by far and away the most natural choice.
Anyone who says otherwise is just doing so for the sake of counterculture.

There's a legitimate argument for trying to spread talent across lines rather than loading up the first line with all our best scoring options - Eberle has proven that he's still a really productive player with RNH and Pouliot, whereas Yak has only really looked good with McDavid or Derek Roy.

We're not deep enough to pull off the Penguins approach yet, but if Eberle can put up ~65-70 points playing with Nuge compared to 75-85 with McDavid, whereas Yak would be more like ~20 vs. 45-50 (I truly believe this is possible over a season), there's a legit argument there that we'd be harder to defend against if teams have to choose whether RNH/Eberle or McDavid get their top pairings.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's basically at the point where we pretty much have 2 groups.

1. Hope he succeeds (and then what comes from that, trade, future with the Oilers, etc)

2. Hope he fails (I honestly don't know why, though I'm sure in a couple case it's likely due to an interview he gave when playing for team Russia in the WJHC and the fall out from being Russian)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's basically at the point where we pretty much have 2 groups.

1. Hope he succeeds (and then what comes from that, trade, future with the Oilers, etc)

2. Hope he fails (I honestly don't know why, though I'm sure in a couple case it's likely due to an interview he gave when playing for team Russia in the WJHC and the fall out from being Russian)

I don't think anyone wants him to fail, they just recognize that he has to do a lot to succeed and likely won't achieve that.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yak will be the bounce back player of the year..

My prediction, Yak does not make the top 9 meaning he is in healthy scratch territory and is claimed by Las Vegas in the offseason. In 2-3 years he is in the KHL playing 3rd line RW for Kunlun Red Star.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There are ABSOLUTELY people here who want him to fail.

I'd love him to succeed. He is one of my favorites but I am realistic about his game too. If he outplays Eberle, Puljujarvi, Versteeg for a top 9 RW spot (and Draisatl assuming TMac may move Drai to RW which I think he may) and can maintain a high level of play then I'd love to see that.

I just don't think he can improve his game that much over 1 summer.

Oilers will keep him as expansion bait IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad