XFL to Return in 2020

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The worst part is that the league owns all of the teams. That's an awful model for a sports league.
It's a good model when you are starting a league. If you've got a bunch of individual owners one of them will have deeper pockets/hot team and will drive up costs in order to win. By keeping everyone inline to begin with they can control costs and raise them inline with the growth of the league.

The key when starting an american style league is stability over everything else, and having a central owner is a good starting point for that.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
you can think if it actually is a success they will obviously expand and start making money with actual franchises.

again, lets see if they survive season 1

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah, that's basically it. A lot of the faults you can pick at the structure (and really everything) come down to them working to establish a league from nothing, not on making money with an already existing one.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Avoiding politics is a hilariously foolish thing. Politics is everything whether you want it there or not. That just screams safe space snowflakeism.

There is nothing for the league to gain by being political in any way, and it is easily avoided. Vince is doing some obvious pandering by explicitly stating it as he did, but it's the obvious and correct strategy. It's quite possible that it will be highly insignificant by 2020 anyway though.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There is nothing for the league to gain by being political in any way, and it is easily avoided. Vince is doing some obvious pandering by explicitly stating it as he did, but it's the obvious and correct strategy. It's quite possible that it will be highly insignificant by 2020 anyway though.

It actually isn't avoidable at all. Making a statement on it is in itself inherently political. There's no such thing as apolitical because it involves everything in society. By 2020, the political landscape will engulf everything like it did in 2016 because of who is involved there and who his buddies are including Vince. He won't be able to avoid it and it is unavoidable.

Reactions: BonMorrison

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It actually isn't avoidable at all. Making a statement on it is in itself inherently political. There's no such thing as apolitical because it involves everything in society. By 2020, the political landscape will engulf everything like it did in 2016 because of who is involved there and who his buddies are including Vince. He won't be able to avoid it and it is unavoidable.

It is completely avoidable other than the odd instance, as seen with the NHL or MLB, and they are wise to avoid it. As long as the XFL doesn't attempt to wrap itself in the American flag like the NFL does it will be quite simple - don't bring politics into your broadcasts or your product in any way. As much as I obviously have to respect your crystal ball regarding 2020 I also must have missed when Vince's WWE became so political in 2016 with the Trump connection and even Linda McMahon's various senate runs. It was surely just as much of a situation when Vince's company would be "not able to avoid it and it is unavoidable" as any theoretical 2020 situation.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
its gonna be political when they avoid Kapernick...
all this talk about making football fun again, doesnt remind you of a certain presidential campain?

(obviously joking but........)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It is completely avoidable other than the odd instance, as seen with the NHL or MLB, and they are wise to avoid it. As long as the XFL doesn't attempt to wrap itself in the American flag like the NFL does it will be quite simple - don't bring politics into your broadcasts or your product in any way. As much as I obviously have to respect your crystal ball regarding 2020 I also must have missed when Vince's WWE became so political in 2016 with the Trump connection and even Linda McMahon's various senate runs. It was surely just as much of a situation when Vince's company would be "not able to avoid it and it is unavoidable" as any theoretical 2020 situation.

If you think about it even for just a bit, you'd realize how it's pretty much entirely political when it comes to anything that is a corporate structure like professional sports are. You can't avoid it. You either take a stand on things and be out with it or you silence it and make a political statement without saying a thing. You simply can't avoid it and trying only makes you look like a snowflake that can't handle political disagreements. That's what the issue is with the NFL and even moreso its fans. They all act like a bunch of snowflakes for various reasons. It's just that now people are actually noticing instead of ignoring it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If you think about it even for just a bit, you'd realize how it's pretty much entirely political when it comes to anything that is a corporate structure like professional sports are. You can't avoid it. You either take a stand on things and be out with it or you silence it and make a political statement without saying a thing. You simply can't avoid it and trying only makes you look like a snowflake that can't handle political disagreements. That's what the issue is with the NFL and even moreso its fans. They all act like a bunch of snowflakes for various reasons. It's just that now people are actually noticing instead of ignoring it.

I've considered it more than enough, and fortunately I am familiar with the word "political" and its meaning. This is all based on the faulty premise that doing nothing is actually doing something. I know that in recent times many people have liked to try and change what words mean but doing nothing to involve yourself in politics is indeed completely apolitical. Focusing on football is inherently apolitical. If the XFL follows the NFL route and brings out the soldiers and wraps itself in the flag then that of course is a different matter. If the XFL is only selectively silent on politics then that is also a very different matter. I am also a bit baffled by the logic that if you don't want to engage in something then you "can't handle" it, but that's pretty tangential.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
its gonna be political when they avoid Kapernick...
all this talk about making football fun again, doesnt remind you of a certain presidential campain?

(obviously joking but........)

It was political the moment Vince said they would have rules about kneeling and not wanting “criminals”.

I am surprised he wasn’t even more on the nose and said it would be the “no thug league”.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I've considered it more than enough, and fortunately I am familiar with the word "political" and its meaning. This is all based on the faulty premise that doing nothing is actually doing something. I know that in recent times many people have liked to try and change what words mean but doing nothing to involve yourself in politics is indeed completely apolitical. Focusing on football is inherently apolitical. If the XFL follows the NFL route and brings out the soldiers and wraps itself in the flag then that of course is a different matter. If the XFL is only selectively silent on politics then that is also a very different matter. I am also a bit baffled by the logic that if you don't want to engage in something then you "can't handle" it, but that's pretty tangential.

It's not a faulty premise is the problem with your logic.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
A two-hour show with fan suggestions...what a concept.

If Vince can pull this all off...I'll just be more upset with him that he couldn't get more out of the WWE product.

I would've been more excited if he was going to just step away from WWE to focus on football but he's too much of a maniac to lighten his load.

He's ambitious, I'll give him that.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The richest comment was easily him saying a 3 hour football game is too long.

Glass house, Vince
Except it isn't glass houses. If you ask WWE, they'll officially respond saying that three hours is too long for a show. HHH talks about it every time someone asks about it during conference calls and has done for years. No one pretends that three hours is good at all.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
This is the bomb diggity. I don't care what you guys say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad