Value of: Sorokin to New Jersey

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I don't know how reliable that is but it does fall into line with what Fitz would later go on to say:
So not doing what you want makes him an incompetent cheapskate? I’d argue giving up young cost controlled players for the privilege of overpaying both in assets and on the next contract a goalie about to enter declining years.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

I don't know how reliable that is but it does fall into line with what Fitz would later go on to say:
That story says Mercer. I didn't see anything about a 10th OA this year and one of the best D man in college. Saros has a lot of value, not that much.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I would have never guessed that. It's honestly hard to compare because we comparing 1 goalie who played 55 games to one that played 28. All I know is even if you discount the screens or weird bounces it seems like Sorokin had a decent amount of point shots from around the area i circled where you think he should have had it, go in.

Just out of curiosity do you have the league average or maybe do some comparison with other goalies?
Not to detail the thread. No, I don't. It's pretty hard to determine how many games is acceptable to filter out. I'd say 18-22 is basic range. Shesterkin/Swayman/Hellebuyck being around 18. I also don't know how accurate those numbers are from Naturalstattrick. I didn't watch the game last night, but they have Sorokin down as letting in an average goal coming from 40 feet from last night.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If the asking price for Saros was the 2024 1st + Mercer + Casey + +, then Sorokin, who's signed longterm would command even more, especially given the division tax.

Not that Lou is the type to throw in the towel anyway. And Fitz being an incompetent cheapskate means he'll never pay up for goaltending.
Flames fans still salty that Fitzgerald didn't go all in on a season where the best Dman was out for the year and the best forward was at 60%, and then Markstrom turned back into a pumpkin with an atrocious 0.877 in his final 15 games?

• Haha
Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Flames fans still salty that Fitzgerald didn't go all in on a season where the best Dman was out for the year and the best forward was at 60%, and then Markstrom turned back into a pumpkin with an atrocious 0.877 in his final 15 games?
Devils fans still delusional enough to think that NY is going to trade Sorokin, or that Ulmark and Saros won’t cost an arm and a leg and won’t be signing massive contracts

• Haha
Reactions: Bone Density

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Devils fans still delusional enough to think that NY is going to trade Sorokin, or that Ulmark and Saros won’t cost an arm and a leg and won’t be signing massive contracts
Most that I see say that Sor woukd never be traded here and they don't want that contract. Sure the nutty Devs fans, but we dint claim them. Ullmark for a '25 1st and an addl pick /prospect has been concensus on both sides, not sure what you think yiur seeing from us. Saros will not bring more than a 10th OA and anything else but a small add. No Holtz, no Mercer, no Casey. Fitz can go back to Cgy if that's the case, deal for Markey. Let Schmid/Daws/Poitier cook in Utica while Allen man's the door in Newark. Done.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Basically every boston fan I've talked to has been:

2025 1st+sweeteners.

You can go look at any goalie trade that's occurred basically ever if you want tho.

And if all of a sudden the goalie market has magically doubled in price compared to what it has been for decades, despite every other indicator (Goalie contracts, goalie draft position, recent goalie trades, goaltending start splits) suggesting that NHL gms valuations of goaltenders has gone down, not up.

Then NJD should use those assets to fix other holes at LD and bottom 6 forwards and roll Kahkonen, Allen, Schmid, and Daws.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
I wonder if demko for sorokin is on the table seeing that demko has been injured at poor times and sorokin has a longer contract that costs more.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don't think NJ asks for retention. I think this deal is just a non-starter. Lou rarely deals with geographical rivals.

Personally, I don't see Lou trading Sorokin. Lou believes in building from the net out. Maybe Lou looks at Sorokin for Wallstedt, Cossa or something like that. But, I don't see Lou trading Sorokin without the Isles having some high end solution in goal.
Lou has made more trades with NJD than he has any other team during his time with the islanders.

He's made 18 total trades. 3 have been with NJD.

Excluding what I'd consider meaningless trades, such as AHLer swaps, cap dumps, depth for a 6th/7th rounder, he's made 9 significant trades.

2 of those 9 have been with NJD (Palmeri/Zajac, Greene)

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Lou has made more trades with NJD than he has any other team during his time with the islanders.

He's made 18 total trades. 3 have been with NJD.

Excluding what I'd consider meaningless trades, such as AHLer swaps, cap dumps, depth for a 6th/7th rounder, he's made 9 significant trades.

2 of those 9 have been with NJD (Palmeri/Zajac, Greene)
Yeah, he took players when the Devils were selling. He’s sent no NHL players or prospects back (unless you count AJ Greer).

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
If the asking price for Saros was the 2024 1st + Mercer + Casey + +, then Sorokin, who's signed longterm would command even more, especially given the division tax.

Not that Lou is the type to throw in the towel anyway. And Fitz being an incompetent cheapskate means he'll never pay up for goaltending.
Fitz thankfully was stopped by Calgary's owner as he was all in on Markstrom and stopped by Nashville's success....At time pick was 20 th plus reports of Holtz and another player that trade would have been so lopsided in Calgary's favor as Markstrom got hurt then plummeted....Sour grapes by Calgary fans so the cheapskate in Calgary saved us from a desperation move by Fitz.....

Reactions: My3Sons

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
he had a bad year. doubt the islanders would move him. that would be a big mistake. he's had elite numbers everywhere and even in the nhl in previous seasons, he didn't just forget how to play goal. it's just a bad year

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The Islanders will be in win-now mode as long as Lou is there. He has had opportunities to trade Varlamov in the past and has opted to keep both goalies. I don't see him changing direction just because Sorokin had a down year.

That said, Lou has limited cap space next year. Is he going to just fill out the bottom of the roster and try again with the same core, or is he going to look to make bigger changes? If it's the latter, whom does he move if not Sorokin? Lee? Pageau? Both players have 2 years left on their contracts, at 7 mil and 5 mil, respectively. Both are coming off poor years. Palmieri has 1 year left @ 5mil, but he had a good year, hitting 30 goals for the 1st time since 2015-16.

In recent years, Lou has made his big moves at the trade deadline and then re-signed those players. Horvat and Engvall last year. Palmieri in 2021. Pageau in 2020. The only significant moves he has made in the summer were for Martin in 2018 and Romanov in 2022.

Asset-wise, they have most of their draft picks. They are missing their 3rd and 7th this year, and their 2nd in 2026, but have all the rest to work with if they are looking to make a splash. Holmstrom showed some promise this year while Wahlstrom regressed. I don't see much to be excited about among their prospects. They haven't drafted in the 1st round since 2019 when the selected Holmstrom 23rd overall. The one promising prospect they had since then (Raty) was traded away.

Any deals Lou makes would likely include some combination of roster players and draft picks. Given his track record with the Islanders, I'm expecting him to continue to mortgage the future in an effort to win now. I can't see him rebuilding/retooling, and I can't see him standing pat. But I also can't see what moves he can possibly make to turn the Islanders into legitimate cup contenders. Whatever window they had has passed. Lou will keep dragging them into the fight, but within the next few years, the bottom is going to fall out. Lou will then ride off into the sunset of his retirement and leave all those problems for the next GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad