GDT: x-CAR - DAL

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I said this yesterday and it beard repeating now. Hakanpaa completes the trifecta of elite defensive defenseman to round out our lines. Having one of Slavin, Pesce, and Hakpanaa anchoring each of our defensive lines gives us so much wiggle room to basically plug and play offensively slanted defensemen and still be great. It just so happens that in Dougie we have one of the best of those players in the game right now, creating a massive advantage for us

I'd prefer to not have him leave. I don't think we are screwed if he does. That's a nice spot to be in.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I said this yesterday and it beard repeating now. Hakanpaa completes the trifecta of elite defensive defenseman to round out our lines. Having one of Slavin, Pesce, and Hakpanaa anchoring each of our defensive lines gives us so much wiggle room to basically plug and play offensively slanted defensemen and still be great. It just so happens that in Dougie we have one of the best of those players in the game right now, creating a massive advantage for us

I'd prefer to not have him leave. I don't think we are screwed if he does. That's a nice spot to be in.

Freudian slip, I think not. Central just got put on notice. "You tell em I'm comin... and Hell's comin with me"

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Pesce, Slavin, Staal, Teuvo, and Rod would all get more recognition and award votes if we were a big market. Without a doubt.
If we played in NY, Rod would already have won the Jack Adams and Slavin would be a perennial Norris finalist

The fact that neither are ever in the discussion is comical and shows just how bullshit some of these awards really are

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If we played in NY, Rod would already have won the Jack Adams and Slavin would be a perennial Norris finalist

The fact that neither are ever in the discussion is comical and shows just how bullshit some of these awards really are

Rod at least would have been nominated. If he doesn’t win it outright this year it’s f***ing criminal.

Slavin isn’t the Norris winning type. You have to play on your teams top PP and get the points associated with that to win or even be a finalist the last 2 decades. Slavin finishing 5th last year was wild on its own because it was such a shift in the usual way those things go.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Rod at least would have been nominated. If he doesn’t win it outright this year it’s f***ing criminal.

Slavin isn’t the Norris winning type. You have to play on your teams top PP and get the points associated with that to win or even be a finalist the last 2 decades. Slavin finishing 5th last year was wild on its own because it was such a shift in the usual way those things go.
I'm of the belief that defensemen actually excelling at defense rather than just being the best to put the puck into the net from the blue line should be the motivating factor behind the Defenseman of the Year award.

I strongly suspect that if someone with his abilities played in a market like NYC, a hefty chunk of the media voters would suddenly and miraculously have a similar epiphany

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Last night's Staal is who I like to see. And I'm not even counting the two goals. He came out and set the tone right away.

It seems like there is a switch that he can flip, but he doesn't do it as often as I'd like. Maybe to flip that switch he needs to really not like a team.

We want the moose!

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'm of the belief that defensemen actually excelling at defense rather than just being the best to put the puck into the net from the blue line should be the motivating factor behind the Defenseman of the Year award.

I strongly suspect that if someone with his abilities played in a market like NYC, a hefty chunk of the media voters would suddenly and miraculously have a similar epiphany

I think it should too, but it hasn’t since Langway won in 1984. Chara in 2009 is the only one who wasn’t top 5 in defenseman scoring but he had 19 goals.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Based on what exactly? At January 1, he was at 2-10-12 -1, and after that (which is around the time he started playing with Pesce primarily) he went 8-10-18 and +20.

My memory on this may be faulty...but I recall CdH-Faulk being a really good pair until CdH got hurt...then the Pesce (playing left-side) Faulk pair was born which also was very good.

Did the change happen when CdH got hurt or before? I think he was hurt sometime in late-winter or early-spring.

Last edited:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Based on what exactly? At January 1, he was at 2-10-12 -1, and after that (which is around the time he started playing with Pesce primarily) he went 8-10-18 and +20.
Not only that, but in February 2019 the Canes were playing unreal hockey. Pesce/Faulk were on the ice and took the majority of the shifts when:

Carolina shut out Pittsburgh with Pesce/Faulk matching up with Crosby line;
Carolina kept McDavid off the scoresheet with Pesce/Faulk matching up;
Carolina shut out Dallas twice with Pesce/Faulk matching up with Seguin/Benn/Radulov line (in one of the games Slavin/Hamilton matched up about the same)

If the Norris went to the best defensive D-man the Canes could have 1 and 2 in either order.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

I wouldn’t say we’re screwed either if we lose Dougie. But I think he might be the difference from us being a perennial team competing for the Presidents trophy every year.

We can credit our PP this season to being a huge factor as to why we sit as one of the top teams in the league. It’s not because of our 5 on 5 play. Dougie might just be the most important piece to our PP. We’ll see a significant drop in the PP I believe if we let him go. How do we replace Dougie on the PP? I don’t think Bean is the answer yet and Gardiner is a significant step down.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Ok just a few observations from last night.

1 - the new Bally's app sucks. No, it really sucks. From about 7:45 until 10 you just could not log in. It was bad, it kept timing out. And to make matters even more frustrating, when you could log in, they don't even put your local teams on the main page, you have to click 'Region' and then you have to choose the team and then the game to watch. So much unnecessary clicking for a Regional Sports Broadcasting app
2 - Most infuriating about the Bally's app is they force you to watch 3 ads before they begin the live stream. Every time you have to get back onto the page. So if you're watching on your phone, don't even try to go to another window, or you'll be sitting through a couple mins of ads before it'll come back. Like, what the f***, half the game is already ads to begin with, why even bother with that shit. f***ing assholes
3 - They play their own ads over the regional ones. It was the same 3 or 4 commercials on a loop all night. No Marley Drug ad, just the same f***ing LS Tractor shit over and over and over and over and over

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

1 - the new Bally's app sucks. No, it really sucks. From about 7:45 until 10 you just could not log in. It was bad, it kept timing out. And to make matters even more frustrating, when you could log in, they don't even put your local teams on the main page, you have to click 'Region' and then you have to choose the team and then the game to watch. So much unnecessary clicking for a Regional Sports Broadcasting app
2 - Most infuriating about the Bally's app is they force you to watch 3 ads before they begin the live stream. Every time you have to get back onto the page. So if you're watching on your phone, don't even try to go to another window, or you'll be sitting through a couple mins of ads before it'll come back. Like, what the f***, half the game is already ads to begin with, why even bother with that shit. f***ing assholes
3 - They play their own ads over the regional ones. It was the same 3 or 4 commercials on a loop all night. No Marley Drug ad, just the same f***ing LS Tractor shit over and over and over and over and over

yikes. FWIW: Center Ice was pixelating a lot during the game.

I switched over to Directv and it worked fine though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016

Mine worked but though I was in the Midwest so I could not watch the game through it

Reactions: Tryamw

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I'm biting my nails here and sweating bullets here man....

View attachment 427101

LDjUFJp3RuCxYqvC7

Reactions: HisIceness

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Last night's Staal is who I like to see. And I'm not even counting the two goals. He came out and set the tone right away.

It seems like there is a switch that he can flip, but he doesn't do it as often as I'd like. Maybe to flip that switch he needs to really not like a team.

We want the moose!

According to Rod he brings that level of compete every night, but doesn't always find the back of the net. They were going in for him last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00