GDT: x-CAR - CHI - DundonSlavin Hockey Co.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I mean if the goalie will commit that hard to one side the way Delia did, you may as well keep them guessing that you may do that. It opened up so much room for niederreiter you could almost be convinced it was intentional

I had just typed a similar thing out on my phone before something refreshed and I lost what I typed. Even without the fear of a lacrosse move, every NHL goalie is going to move hard to the side of the puck to protect the post and not let a wrap-around sneak in, that's normal. But as you mentioned, Delia committed hard, by also raising himself up to take away the top corner, a spot that could only be scored upon via a lacrosse move. Once he did that, he took away any chance to recover for a Nino shot, although that would have been tough to stop no matter what. Still, by moving upright like he did to stop the lacrosse attempt, it took away all of his options. No chance at a poke check, no chance at sliding/diving back over to stop Nino, etc..

Some posters (not this board) called it a "gimmick", but clearly it's now something goalies have to account for.

Great to see Geekie both had the confidence to try it, and the ability to recover and make a play when he flubbed it.

Last edited:

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Agree with above posts. Bet that replay gets watched in our locker room and a play or two gets drawn up for sure. We have multiple players that can do it and sell it.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean if the goalie will commit that hard to one side the way Delia did, you may as well keep them guessing that you may do that. It opened up so much room for niederreiter you could almost be convinced it was intentional
I said something very similar last night. The reaction by the defense to a player even trying is to try and swat the stick out of the air. There's opportunity there to use those instincts against them and open up a passing lane for a backdoor roofjob.

You know what would be an absolutely lethal move?

Fake the lax move, pin the puck to the ice with the tip of your stick while upside-down, and pass cross the front of the net backdoor to a streaking teammate.

every defender immediately lifts sticks off the ice when they see someone even set up for it to try and bat the stick out of the air. Use that instinct against them, and you're basically setting up an uncontested shot

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
The frustration is in knowing that this team could go apeshit and win the Cup in the minimum amount of games and people will still asterisk them because it's a covid season or whatever other dumbass excuse they can find.

Still, 5 years ago, if you had told me the Canes would be the lead horse in a President's Trophy chase at any point in my lifetime, I woulda stuck my dick in the mashed potatoes
I prefer apple pie myself

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think we miss an opportunity by not at least occasionally putting Svech behind the goal on the powerplay. His ability to quickly do the Svech and his ability to pass when the other team is already a man down would put a ton of pressure on both the goalie and the defender to move and thus open up a shot by one or two guys near the net.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I think we miss an opportunity by not at least occasionally putting Svech behind the goal on the powerplay. His ability to quickly do the Svech and his ability to pass when the other team is already a man down would put a ton of pressure on both the goalie and the defender to move and thus open up a shot by one or two guys near the net.
If we did more cycling and movement on the PP to eventually get him there, I would agree. Confuse the defense and hopefully they lose him back there. He has one of the best shots on the team too. We need that more than a couple of passes and potential Svech attempts. If we get a couple more PP snipers then maybe we give it a whirl.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
True. Although the Canes only trail Connor McDavid in PP% so coaches probably think let’s leave well enough alone. Svechnikov also has a great shot which the coaches want as a weapon.

good to have versatile options like this.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I had just typed a similar thing out on my phone before something refreshed and I lost what I typed. Even without the fear of a lacrosse move, every NHL goalie is going to move hard to the side of the puck to protect the post and not let a wrap-around sneak in, that's normal. But as you mentioned, Delia committed hard, by also raising himself up to take away the top corner, a spot that could only be scored upon via a lacrosse move. Once he did that, he took away any chance to recover for a Nino shot, although that would have been tough to stop no matter what. Still, by moving upright like he did to stop the lacrosse attempt, it took away all of his options. No chance at a poke check, no chance at sliding/diving back over to stop Nino, etc..

Some posters (not this board) called it a "gimmick", but clearly it's now something goalies have to account for.

Great to see Geekie both had the confidence to try it, and the ability to recover and make a play when he flubbed it.

And not to mention - we all know every Cane has been trying it in practice just goofing around ever since Svech pulled it off the first time (and I'm sure every team knows us as the team that might try it). However... we still don't know if Geekie is remotely capable of doing it in a game setting. As @AD Skinner mentioned, might've just been a savvy move to get Delia to show lots of net and Keith to get his stick off the ice.

Yesterday's goal showed me it's not a gimmick. There is now a real (or at least perceived) threat of being able to score top shelf short side from behind the net. That makes the office even more dangerous than it was before, meaning you need to defend it more aggressively, leading to more chances out front. That makes the top corner of the net a threat, meaning goalies have to decide whether to be more upright and cover it, leaving more net open. Once the move itself is threatened, defensemen need to decide whether to pick their stick up off the ice to defend it, or protect against the more traditional cross-crease pass.

The notion of this move existing has the potential to open up offense in more ways than one - it legitimately affects how defensemen and goalies protect the office and the crease in certain situations. The fewer places on the ice that are "safe", the more offense gets opened up everywhere in the offensive zone. I'm not going to pretend that this is like adding the 3-point line with regard to changing a sport, but I think we have to consider that this move is less of a one or two time party trick and more of a legitimate offensive threat in multiple ways.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I didn't see this get corrected, so here goes:

CAR: 79 + 6 potential points = 85
VGK: 74 + 10 potential points = 84
COL: 72 + 12 potential points = 84

CAR controls this destiny.
I think VGN and COL have one game against each other as well. The rest of Colorado’s games are SJ and LAKx4, so mostly non playoff teams.

Edit: VGN have SJS, STLx2, COL, and MIN

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Watching the replay, I think Geekie definitely tried it, but the puck fell off his stick blade so he made the pass

I agree - what I meant was that I have no idea if he has ever done it before, or was just thinking "well, there's first for everything." :laugh:

Other element of this is that a "failed" attempt is still incredibly dangerous. Drop a bouncing puck in the crease after the goaltender has already committed to a save.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I didn't see this get corrected, so here goes:

CAR: 79 + 6 potential points = 85
VGK: 74 + 10 potential points = 84
COL: 72 + 12 potential points = 84

CAR controls this destiny.
Yeah I was very wrong when I posted that.

So in opposite situation to what we are dealing with in the Central, Colorado and Vegas having games in hand over us actually helps us in this case since we are already clear of them. They cannot afford to lose any game. If we go 2-1-0 the rest of the way, Colorado or Vegas has to win out to pass us. Given remaining schedules, that might not be a reasonable expectation of then.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah I was very wrong when I posted that.

So in opposite situation to what we are dealing with in the Central, Colorado and Vegas having games in hand over us actually helps us in this case since we are already clear of them. They cannot afford to lose any game. If we go 2-1-0 the rest of the way, Colorado or Vegas has to win out to pass us. Given remaining schedules, that might not be a reasonable expectation of then.
Colorado has, on paper, the best chance of winning out of the two, as the one game against VGN is their only playoff opponent.

canes just need to take care of business

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I agree - what I meant was that I have no idea if he has ever done it before, or was just thinking "well, there's first for everything." :laugh:

Other element of this is that a "failed" attempt is still incredibly dangerous. Drop a bouncing puck in the crease after the goaltender has already committed to a save.
Nobody out Sveches the Svech.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Nashville will probably be desperate, fighting for the last spot so the Canes are likely going to get their best. Probably a good thing as it will be a playoff atmosphere before the playoffs.
the upside is if nashville is still in a fight for the last spot, that means dallas would have taken some points from tampa.

if nashville beats columbus tonight, dallas cannot make the playoffs without winning at least one against the lightning in regulation - and even that would require a theoretical nashville win tonight to occur in ot.

and even if nashville loses out in regulation, dallas will at least have to get tampa to ot. so, hopefully wear them down before that saturday game where tampa is on the second night of a back to back and florida is coming off a long break.

or, we could just win the next 19 games and not worry about it.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
the upside is if nashville is still in a fight for the last spot, that means dallas would have taken some points from tampa.

if nashville beats columbus tonight, dallas cannot make the playoffs without winning at least one against the lightning in regulation - and even that would require a theoretical nashville win tonight to occur in ot.

and even if nashville loses out in regulation, dallas will at least have to get tampa to ot. so, hopefully wear them down before that saturday game where tampa is on the second night of a back to back and florida is coming off a long break.

or, we could just win the next 19 games and not worry about it.

Yeah, it's still a little too 'if abc happens then xyz would need to occur'. There's still a ton of possibilities in how the seeding in divisions will shake out. We take care of what's in front of us and worry about the next step when we get to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad