GDT: x-CAR - CBJ - The College (arena) Years

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
One thing Tripp said that I have been noticing lately is that our d-men have gotten very good at baiting forwards into making bad passes, especially on the rush. I noticed Hackeysack did that on a play that had gotten pretty low into the zone, got back to the boards real fast and cut the pass off, sent it the other way. Pesce did it in a different way later, giving an opening on his right shot for a shot on an odd-man rush then flipping his stick over quickly to ramp the shot out of play.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
One thing of note, the 05-06 team finished with a +34 goal differential. Right now this team is at +45.

Different scenarios between 82 game season and 56 playing just 7 teams, but still I didn't realize our Cup winning teams +/- was that low.

We had so many comeback wins that year, even in the playoffs. This years teams is structurally better but 05-06 was prob a little more exciting…

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
One thing of note, the 05-06 team finished with a +34 goal differential. Right now this team is at +45.

Different scenarios between 82 game season and 56 playing just 7 teams, but still I didn't realize our Cup winning teams +/- was that low.

This year’s team never had anything like a 9-0 loss to Atlanta. That makes up 9 of the 11 difference.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
One thing Tripp said that I have been noticing lately is that our d-men have gotten very good at baiting forwards into making bad passes, especially on the rush. I noticed Hackeysack did that on a play that had gotten pretty low into the zone, got back to the boards real fast and cut the pass off, sent it the other way. Pesce did it in a different way later, giving an opening on his right shot for a shot on an odd-man rush then flipping his stick over quickly to ramp the shot out of play.
Did Tripp mean our forwards too?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Comparing the 06 forwards to this seasons forwards, the current group has better depth. There are no Craig Adams or 06 version Chad LaRose types on this team. Lorentz and Geekie are far ahead of those players.

The 06 team had those centers though. Staal in a 100 point season, Brindy in a 70 point Selke season and Cullen was an excellent two-way 3rd line center, and Kevyn Adams may have been the best 4th line center in the league that year. Not that the current center group is a slouch either.

Obviously the current defense is a quantum leap improvement from the 06 team and the goaltending is probably at least equal if not better.
Yeah, I have to agree here. This team plays a lot like the 2005-2006 team, but they're better. And I say this as someone who thinks our team who won the Cup is criminally underrated throughout the hockey community.

A little better on our forward lines, massively better on defense (that's nothing against the 2006 defense, we are just that good right now) and at worst a wash in net. And Ned might have more pure talent in net than we've had in a goalie since we moved down from Hartford.

And our special teams are crazy good. 1st ranked PP and 3rd ranked PK. Yeah, the shades of 2006 are here.

What I love about this team is that we aren't doing this on the back of everyone having a career year. Heck, I'd argue a guy like Svech is probably having one of his lowest scoring outputs we'll see out of him while he's here and we didn't have Turbo for half the season. This current level of play certainly seems sustainable going forward.

dmonk

doughberle
Feb 13, 2007
Raleigh, NC

Wasn't there that one game in 05-06 when I think Tampa beat us like 9-0. That game alone would wipe out the goal differential difference. :nod:

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Yeah, I have to agree here. This team plays a lot like the 2005-2006 team, but they're better. And I say this as someone who thinks our team who won the Cup is criminally underrated throughout the hockey community.

that is because we are one of the most BS winners of the cup ever.
We had to high stick a Canadian to get past the first round
A rookie got lucky and out dueled broduer
Buffalo’s defense had to injure themselves
We had to injure the eighth seed Oilers starting goalie (although it should have been a 5 game series but we choked away game 5).

all just to win. That doesn’t consider that it was after the lockout and the rules were changed to help us out.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We had to injure the eighth seed Oilers starting goalie (although it should have been a 5 game series but we choked away game 5).

all just to win. That doesn’t consider that it was after the lockout and the rules were changed to help us out.
I'm going to resist the urge to get gaslit by this comment and just say that its wrong and you should feel bad for saying it

:thumbu:

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I'm going to resist the urge to get gaslit by this comment and just say that its wrong and you should feel bad for saying it

:thumbu:
LOL. I dont know how many times I have read something along those lines from other fans. Fans cant handle the small southern market winning. If we were to win this year, the excuses will be you won a non traditional cup in a shortened season.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
LOL. I dont know how many times I have read something along those lines from other fans. Fans cant handle the small southern market winning. If we were to win this year, the excuses will be you won a non traditional cup in a shortened season.

lol I knew what you were doing and it still almost got me

And you know what, if the season ends with us winning some trophies and everyone else whining about the asterisks, bring it on. Will only make the tears that much tastier.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
lol at this conversation - i had the thought the other day, 'i hope this team wins the cup so the poor 2006 squad will finally have some competition for worst cup winner of the cap era'

i can already hear the 'is it really even a cup if you only played 9 teams the entire year, playoffs included?'

if, god help us all, toronto manages to win it (only 8 teams!) i'm sure the narrative will be that it was the hardest cup - so much to overcome, they were really a beacon of hope for a nation in dark times, blahblahblah.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Good examples:

This was an The Athletic article during the shutdown.

"Tier 10: The 2006 Hurricanes

Yes, they get their own category. No, I don’t know why. But to this day, hockey fans seem to have a very complicated relationship with this Cup win, up to and including occasionally pretending it doesn’t exist.
Maybe it’s because it was the first post-lockout Cup and we were still figuring out the new landscape. Maybe it’s because they played the Oilers so it doesn’t feel real. Maybe it’s because they only made the playoffs once in the next dozen seasons. Or maybe it’s just old-fashioned hockey snobbery over a non-traditional market getting their moment to shine. But even though you could absolutely make a case for the Hurricanes being a Tier 5 or at the very least a Tier 7, they instead exist in their own poorly defined segment of hockey’s collective subconscious.
Examples: The 2007 Ducks, who do you think?"

good comments:

Garett A.
Jun 8
7 likes
@Brant G. I thought the Canes getting their own category was going to be along the lines of "their opponent lost their starting goalie (and likely Conn Smythe winner) in game one"... maybe that's happened other times?

Ben W.
Jun 8
6 likes
@Garett A. They also beat a vastly superior Sabres team that lost 3 of their starting D and basically ruined the first decade post-lockout. If the Sabres win the cup that year we get a bunch of imitators trying for the 4 lines with speed and skill model.

Theodore N.
Jun 8
5 likes
None of those guys will enter the HHOF.

Michael B.
Jun 8
6 likes
@Brant G. Williams and Staal will most assuredly not be in any serious HHoF conversations. Williams, while being “clutch” in the playoffs is great and everything, let’s not kid ourselves. Staal was a much better player, and he makes it in, we might as well let everyone in.

Thomas M.
Jun 8
4 likes
A Cup finalist losing its #1 goalie partway through the playoffs? Hmmm, let me think... oh yeah, the 2006 Carolina Hurricanes

Brian R.
Jun 9
1 like
That's because everyone on the planet knows it should be the 06 Sabres there.

John B.
Jun 8
11 likes
That Hurricanes team was a deserving and special champion. What a crock.

Michael F.
Jun 8
14 likes
Buffalo went down to 1 -ONE!- NHL defenseman in game 7, and Edmonton's starting goalie got hurt in game 1, but sure that Cane's team was a true champion*.

*of luck
Alfonso M.
Jun 8
1 like
michael F. What's a true and what's a false champion?

Charles N.
Jun 8
6 likes
John B. IDK. Ask Saku Koivu what he thinks about that.
They are singled out for a reason.

It keeps going. It is hilarious that we have our own factious tier for the cup because people hate it so much. Comments keep going too.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

huh......anyone who wins 4 series is a valid champion.

By your measure, we should devalue all the Montreal Canadian wins since they essentially only needed the Finals to beat a quality team (first round was against a sub-par team) .

In any event, the refs allowed Raffi Torres and Pronger to "charge" & injure several of our guys often leaving their feet.

Reactions: Tryamw and cptjeff

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
lol at this conversation - i had the thought the other day, 'i hope this team wins the cup so the poor 2006 squad will finally have some competition for worst cup winner of the cap era'

i can already hear the 'is it really even a cup if you only played 9 teams the entire year, playoffs included?'
The excuses are already beginning on the main board. Can you imagine the bitching if the Finals end up being Carolina vs Vegas? God, I can already taste the 'this is a disaster for the league' and 'the ratings will suck' threads from here.

Does anyone else feel like the COVID era doesn’t count?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

By your measure, we should devalue all the Montreal Canadian wins since they essentially only needed the Finals to beat a quality team (first round was against a sub-par team) .

In any event, the refs allowed Raffi Torres and Pronger to "charge" & injure several of our guys often leaving their feet.
keep reading the thread, you'll figure it out

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Aww you ate the onion, so to speak. Poor thing, never eat the onion

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

A little better on our forward lines, massively better on defense (that's nothing against the 2006 defense, we are just that good right now) and at worst a wash in net.

This team isn’t a little better on forward lines than 05-06, particularly after the deadline. That 05/06 team had insane depth and top end talent at forward and most of them in their prime. Staal, Cole, Recchi, Stillman, Brindy, Williams, Ladd, Cullen, Weight, Whitney. Then a great 4th line of Adams, LaRose, Adams and depth like Vasiceck . They traded Vrbata because there was no room.

this team is massively better on the backend though, and imo, better in goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad