News Article: www.thesportster.com Article

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Shea Weber is 31, but he has plenty of strong years left. He won’t be going anywhere any time soon.

whoops

Canucks, Wild, Red Wings in the top15?

kinda low quality article

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I dunno, they lose some cred when they put Vancouver in the mix. In fact, all the Canadian teams are in there save the Habs.

m.

TMussolani

Jul 25, 2011
Winnipeg
Spoiler Alert:
Don’t be surprised if we see a dynasty that has resemblance to the Blackhawks of the 2010s

Considering the size and the number of facts posted in the article, you'd expect a few blips here and there (agree with some invalid comments). But, someone went out of their way to make that the final statement.

The list is based on the combination of young players that will peak in 5-10 years, combined with prospects who have yet to peak, within 10 years. So, some teams, without a deep prospect pool made the list based on current young players, some made it based on their pools.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Spoiler Alert:

Considering the size and the number of facts posted in the article, you'd expect a few blips here and there (agree with some invalid comments). But, someone went out of their way to make that the final statement.

The list is based on the combination of young players that will peak in 5-10 years, combined with prospects who have yet to peak, within 10 years. So, some teams, without a deep prospect pool made the list based on current young players, some made it based on their pools.

I think the Jets have had a decent team for at least the last 3 seasons, but have managed to get Top 10 talent each year at the draft despite that. 6 drafts and I'd say only once (Morrissey) have they not walked away with a guy who would arguably go Top 5 in a re-draft.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
whoops

Canucks, Wild, Red Wings in the top15?

kinda low quality article

Stopped reading when I saw that the Canucks were at #11. I think they might be in the bottom 2-3 in terms of future, all things considered.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Jets have had a decent team for at least the last 3 seasons, but have managed to get Top 10 talent each year at the draft despite that. 6 drafts and I'd say only once (Morrissey) have they not walked away with a guy who would arguably go Top 5 in a re-draft.

This is exactly right. They haven't really whiffed on a top pick yet. Stanley seems most likely to be a first-round whiff.

They've also added some good depth picks - Lowry, Copp, Hellebuyck, Petan.

What I really like is that they have added extra quality depth through strategic trades - Armia, Dano, Lemieux, Roslovic, (Stanley). The "price" for this boost to the prospect pool in terms of traded vets was Kane, Bogo and Ladd, and we received Myers and Stafford back. Myers and Stafford might balance Bogo and Kane, all things considered, so the Jets have essentially added the equivalent of 5 first round talents for Ladd. That's a huge haul, and why the Jets have an overflowing cupboard of prospects. They have a big war-chest to go out and fill in gaps in their development pool or on their roster.

Winning the #2 overall in this draft was icing on the cake. Adding a franchise-level talent could be transformative.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I mean it's great that they're saying we could win multiple cups, but this is still a franchise that has never won a playoff game. They seem a little verly exuberant for my liking.

TMussolani

Jul 25, 2011
Winnipeg
FYI

www.thesportster.com - Alexa Rank 16,356

www.thehockeynews.com - Alexa Rank 41,574

The source website for this article has approximately 4 times more traffic than THN. It might not be the hockey expert's source for scouting, but it reflects the layman's view of NHL teams to watch for in the years to come.

I agree with comments about the Canucks, not sure I'd say they're going to be contenders in 5 years. That said, I haven't read much about their prospects recently.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Very complementary to the Jets, but this sentence still hurt:

The Red Wings got a steal in this year’s draft with two-dimensional blueliner Dennis Chowlowski, who may finally be their semi-Nicklas Lidstrom replacement.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Last year, the Hockey News proclaimed us as 2019 Stanley Cup champs. This article is talking 2026.

I like the Hockey News article better. :)

TMussolani

Jul 25, 2011
Winnipeg
They said by 2026 we should be able to win several Stanley Cups.

Well obviously both articles are right. THN's prediction of 2019 is just one of 3, 4 or 5 they're going to win by 2026. With Laine and Connor in the mix, the more recent article is probably more accurate though.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
I read it carefully and noted the Canadiens omission which I'm sure was an oversight. The Jets with Laine and Conner up front will be a force to be reckoned with the likes of which the world never has been seen before

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Very complementary to the Jets, but this sentence still hurt:

The Red Wings got a steal in this year’s draft with two-dimensional blueliner Dennis Chowlowski, who may finally be their semi-Nicklas Lidstrom replacement.

Yeah, I think it's a bit early to mention Cholowski and Lidstrom in the same sentence, though I like Cholowski. Interesting that it seems that the Red Wings liked Stanley more. I wonder what they saw in him. They aren't prone to drafting / playing lugs on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad