Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Bills final pick is another developmental OT. Keep those dart throws coming i guess. Travis Clayton. No scouting report in the beast. Crazy wingspan.

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
International Pathway Program details:

The NFL has specific regulations for players that sign through the IPP. The teams to which each IPP player is assigned are allowed 91 players[10] on their off-season rosters, one more than those teams that are not participating in the IPP that year. At the point when these rosters need to be cut to 53 (at the end of pre-season), the participating teams must decide the status of their IPP players.[11][12][13]

First, the team can keep their IPP player on their 53-man roster. If they waive the player, he goes through the NFL's waiver system, which allows him to be claimed by another team. If he clears waivers, the team can sign the player to their practice squad. If they do, they may elect to take an exemption for the IPP player, giving them an extra spot on their practice squad. If they utilize the exemption, that player cannot be signed to the active roster of any team during the season. If the exemption is declined, the player is treated like any other practice squad player, and can be promoted to a team's active roster. If the player chooses to sign with a team other than the one to which he was assigned, that team may not claim the exemption.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
All right, off the cuff without great thought draft grades:

(2) Keon Coleman: B+ (Bump the pick from a B up to a B+ because of the tradedown value)
(2) Cole Bishop: A-
(3) DeWayne Carter: B
(4) Ray Davis: B
(5) Cedric Van Pran-Grander: B+
(5) Edefuan Ulofoshio: B
(5) Javon Solomon: B
(6) Tylan Grable: D
(6) Daequan Hardy: B+ (graded up for return value - path to a roster spot)
(7) Travis Clayton: F

Overall I thought it was a very safe draft that will produce many useful players. I hated the Grable and Clayton picks because I see zero path to them making the roster and if they show any promise they'll just be plucked away, plus this "take shots at athletic tackles at the end of the draft" strategy has yet to produce a rosterable player. I'd rather have traded those picks for anything else.

Overall I give the draft a solid B.

International Pathway Program details:

The NFL has specific regulations for players that sign through the IPP. The teams to which each IPP player is assigned are allowed 91 players[10] on their off-season rosters, one more than those teams that are not participating in the IPP that year. At the point when these rosters need to be cut to 53 (at the end of pre-season), the participating teams must decide the status of their IPP players.[11][12][13]

First, the team can keep their IPP player on their 53-man roster. If they waive the player, he goes through the NFL's waiver system, which allows him to be claimed by another team. If he clears waivers, the team can sign the player to their practice squad. If they do, they may elect to take an exemption for the IPP player, giving them an extra spot on their practice squad. If they utilize the exemption, that player cannot be signed to the active roster of any team during the season. If the exemption is declined, the player is treated like any other practice squad player, and can be promoted to a team's active roster. If the player chooses to sign with a team other than the one to which he was assigned, that team may not claim the exemption.
Are drafted players eligible for the IPP options?

Reactions: buffalowing88

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
All right, off the cuff without great thought draft grades:

(2) Keon Coleman: B+ (Bump the pick from a B up to a B+ because of the tradedown value)
(2) Cole Bishop: A-
(3) DeWayne Carter: B
(4) Ray Davis: B
(5) Cedric Van Pran-Grander: B+
(5) Edefuan Ulofoshio: B
(5) Javon Solomon: B
(6) Tylan Grable: D
(6) Daequan Hardy: B+ (graded up for return value - path to a roster spot)
(7) Travis Clayton: F

Overall I thought it was a very safe draft that will produce many useful players. I hated the Grable and Clayton picks because I see zero path to them making the roster and if they show any promise they'll just be plucked away, plus this "take shots at athletic tackles at the end of the draft" strategy has yet to produce a rosterable player. I'd rather have traded those picks for anything else.

Overall I give the draft a solid B.
"plus this "take shots at athletic tackles at the end of the draft" strategy has yet to produce a rosterable player"

We've only drafted one tackle at the end of the draft and that was Luke Tenuta who had a 4.93 RAS score. He wasn't athletic at all.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
The fact that everyone is so mum on why Rice fell tells me either, as @Husko said, he was just overhyped because of his dad to begin with. Or...I don't know maybe he's a prick. His interviews aren't exactly humble haha and this goes back to his high school stuff. I don't blame him since he grew up with Jerry as his dad but maybe his "average" talent on the NFL level is offset a bit by his personality.

If it was something that personnel and insiders felt comfortable stating, they already would have indicated why he dropped. That leads me to believe its a personality thing.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
"plus this "take shots at athletic tackles at the end of the draft" strategy has yet to produce a rosterable player"

We've only drafted one tackle at the end of the draft and that was Luke Tenuta who had a 4.93 RAS score. He wasn't athletic at all.
There you see! 0 rosterable players! You just proved his point! The strategy is so badly executed that they even fail to pick the guys!

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
Bummer draft, not that I have any idea what I'm talking about. Feels like they've built a regular season darling that will struggle in the playoffs (again). I guess it was always a reload year, but the prior off-season moves actually had me hopeful it'd be more

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Bummer draft, not that I have any idea what I'm talking about. Feels like they've built a regular season darling that will struggle in the playoffs (again). I guess it was always a reload year, but the prior off-season moves actually had me hopeful it'd be more
I think there's a logic to starting a hard reset with a good foundation. Once that is in place they can swing for the fences. Going for a big trade when they lack cap space and not plugging all the wholes on the roster would have been worst. After next years draft I bet they are a very complete team again with some edge. The running game combined with the big receivers will give the team an edge in many matchups.

We're all addicted to the big Josh Allen plays, it's among the most extreme stuff I've seen in sports alongside speedway and show jumping. It's super human stuff and I want to see those crazy passes but there are other ways to win games.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
From the people that brought you Tommy Doyle, Jack Anderson, Luke Tenuta, and Nick Broeker.

Maybe one of these times the last round athletic freak developmental OL will hit and make all these dart throws worth it.

As @Husko just commented, the Bills have routinely targeted these large athletic freaks on the O-Line in the late rounds in the hopes that they can coach them up.

hasn't worked yet, although Tenuta was plucked away before we could work with him and Doyle did look promising before injuries killed any chance he had at a career

Spencer brown, no?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Interesting he specifically mentions “have a great relationship with Josh Allen”…

Wonder if Frank Gore sr. had anything to do with this? I have to think he must have spoke highly of the bills or even advised his son to sign here. I think Gore sr. has a lot of respect for the Bills front office and coaches.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Interesting he specifically mentions “have a great relationship with Josh Allen”…

Wonder if Frank Gore sr. had anything to do with this? I have to think he must have spoke highly of the bills or even advised his son to sign here. I think Gore sr. has a lot of respect for the Bills front office and coaches.
He also complements Cook really well. Happy to have him.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Alright. So this is my way early, post-draft, pre-UDFA 53 man roster prediction

QB - 2 - Josh Allen, Mitchell Trubisky
RB - 4 - James Cook, Ty Johnson, Ray Davis, Reggie Gilliam
WR - 6 - Curtis Samuel, Khalil Shakir, Keon Coleman, Mack Hollins, KJ Hamler, Justin Shorter
TE - 3 - Dalton Kincaid, Dawson Knox, Quinton Morris
OT - 4 - Dion Dawkins, Spencer Brown, La'el Collins, Ryan Van Demark
OG - 3 - O'Cyrus Torrence, David Edwards, Will Clapp
C - 2 - Connor McGovern, Sed Van Pran-Grander
TOTAL OFFENSE: 24

DE - 5 - Groot, Von Miller, AJ Epenesa, Casey Toohill, Javon Solomon
DT - 5 - Ed Oilver, DaQuan Jones, Austin Johnson, DeShawn Williams, DeWayne Carter
LB - 6 - Matt Milano, Terrell Bernard, Nicolas Morrow, Baylon Spector, Dorian Williams, Edefuan Ulofoshio
CB - 6 - Rasul Douglas, Christian Benford, Taron Johnson, Kaiir Elam, Cam Lewis, Daequan Hardy
S - 4 - Cole Bishop, Mike Edwards, Taylor Rapp, Damar Hamlin
TOTAL DEFENSE: 26

K: Tyler Bass
P: Matt Haack
LS: Reid Ferguson

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes