GDT: WWE SMACKDOWN PRESENTS BACKLASH (Sept. 11, 2016) - Kingpin vs. Phenomenal

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I'm a AJ Styles mark but man he just did something incredible. He literally came into the WWE so Vince could job him out to his main stars and it was quite evident that his career was progressing into that role when he lost against Jericho at WM.

He wins over Vince by giving Reigns his 2 best matches to the point that he beats Cena cleanly in a feud and wins the WWE title. That is the 2 biggest achievements in WWE today besides main eventing Wrestlemania, which truly is possible for Styles in 2017. AJ did all of this in 8 months, its truly incredible.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Oh c'mon. The card on paper was weak but so many matches exceeded expectations.

Exceeded expectations? That's a pretty myopic view.

When you give performers time and space to tell a story it'll be better than the micromanaged, overscripted, sterile garbage we've seen the past 10 years.

Perhaps some people should stop being narrow-minded marks and let the wrestling happen BEFORE we criticize it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Amazing how good the wrestling can be when you give it time, and leave out all of the periphery frills.

AJ Styles is the HBK of this generation, before he's done damn near everyone's he's ever fought will have had their best match against him.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Exceeded expectations? That's a pretty myopic view.

When you give performers time and space to tell a story it'll be better than the micromanaged, overscripted, sterile garbage we've seen the past 10 years.

Perhaps some people should stop being narrow-minded marks and let the wrestling happen BEFORE we criticize it.

The build was poor. It's not our fault that WWE did a poor job of promoting the show. We gave the show props because it delivered. I don't see anything wrong with that.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I think Aj held that match up. Ambrose's offense was just so generic. Meanwhile AJ is doing flips, creative counters, literally flying almsot head first into ring posts. The man just has it.

IT

More importantly i called every single match correctly. DOUBLE WIDES FOR EVERYONE BAYBAY!

Too bad "The fridge that runs the place" is too big for a username.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I still want Cena-AJ 3 for the title. I don't care about the spammed finishers, those 2 bring out the best of each other.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
We can't just ignore Dean's contribution. It takes a lot of talent to go 30 minutes with AJ with very few rest spots.

He brought his a-game tonight. Now he can work off of that and change his character as he builds himself back up in the midcard.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We can't just ignore Dean's contribution. It takes a lot of talent to go 30 minutes with AJ with very few rest spots.

He brought his a-game tonight. Now he can work off of that and change his character as he builds himself back up in the midcard.

His best match since the Rumble. He kept up with the pace and was on point.

Both guys were bumping like bosses too.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
That was just a solid PPV. The ~2 and a half hours (minus the pre-show) was a great time. If they run Smackdown LIVE! PPVs on that time frame, I'm a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad