GDT: WWE SMACKDOWN PRESENTS BACKLASH (Sept. 11, 2016) - Kingpin vs. Phenomenal

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I don't know what these dudes on the LAW are talking about. I thought the crowd was hot all night.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Had hockey to play.. just catching up with the Ambrose/Styles match. Boy... AJ has worked really well as a heel, but he seems to be the mega face draw, too. Ambrose needs to be a heel so bad. Really surprising crowd.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Big Dave coming up. Someone mentioned that the acoustics in that arena suck and why the crowd might of sounded cold.

They did sound into it mostly, but some of their reactions just seemed different to me. I never expected anything but a house show crowd to do dueling Ziggler/Miz chants.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Big Dave thinks it was bogus to advertise Orton on this PPV when he wasn't cleared, and they might of been desperate to draw tickets and viewers. ******** on Sasha's promo now.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Big Dave here... i'll throw some tidbits.

- Broken Dave (lol) starts off the show and they discuss content some more. Dave said there is too much content and he's just not going to watch it live because there is just way too much content. So unfortunately Dave has not seen the PPV as LAW is going.

- Orton pulled from the show. Big Dave says literally the call was made today. Dave sort of calls WWE out for advertising him while they knew he wasn't fully cleared.

- Sasha Banks promo - LAW ripping it hard. Dave thinks it's terrible. Big Dave says they are so big on getting Stephanie over and **** all over the scripting. Big Dave even said the people writing it knew it was bad, but it was even worse on live.

- The switcharoo to MMA/CM Punk. Nothing really said here. Pretty status quo stuff. Gall being a star, nothing really said.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They did mention that they heard that her comment about collecting the cans to get tickets to a show was a stolen AJ Lee story.

Basically they were all baffled, and also didn't understand why a babyface would do this either.

Big Dave also sandbagged the Backlash card a bit. Doesn't sound like he has high expectations going in.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I almost didn't watch either so I can't blame him. It's too much content.

Thank god for on demand and PVRs. I can't remember the last time I watched a full episode of Raw.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I almost didn't watch either so I can't blame him. It's too much content.

Thank god for on demand and PVRs. I can't remember the last time I watched a full episode of Raw.

Honestly, I usually get 2 hours in and tune out. Smackdown is the perfect length.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
As I was late watching the main event, I have to say a few things.

- Man what a ****ing wrestling match. Dean does not get enough credit for his ability to wrestle. I thought the chemistry and the story told were tremendous. Very underrated wrestling match. I read your reviews of the match, and it still went over the expectation. That was a top 10 match of the year, easily IMO.

- The acoustics did sound weird. It sounded like there was a microphone but only in one section instead of for the entire building. It sounded so weird.

- AJ Styles.. is WWE Champ. I re-watched his 2016 Rumble debut immediately after. I think we are all just so happy for the guy.

Oh and how good is Mauro at calling a match? Seriously? So good.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Really solid main event. I liked it less than most of you here, but still a quality match. Hilarious when the crowd booed the Lunatic Lariat :laugh: Made me happy. **** that stupid bounce off the second turnbuckle too.

Hate that Wyatt was dead on the ground with Kane standing over him.

So happy for Slater and Rhyno. Could've gone with the FA gimmick longer sure, but the guy's earned the heck out of this moment.

Oct 18, 2011
watching backlash now...

i find becky to be a total cornball, she's a good wrestler but her babyface promo's sound so fake and you know what it doesn't help her that WWE stacked the deck in raw's favor with women by giving them all of the other top female talent. She doesn't have alot to work with on that show that's for sure

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Kudos to Mauro for pulling the main event along in terms of commentating
Guy is so damn good
Hopefully he soon starts calling the crossover ppvs more than Cole (like they let him at summerslam in the main event)

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
watching backlash now...

i find becky to be a total cornball, she's a good wrestler but her babyface promo's sound so fake and you know what it doesn't help her that WWE stacked the deck in raw's favor with women by giving them all of the other top female talent. She doesn't have alot to work with on that show that's for sure

If you've seen her outside wrestling in any way you'd know shes a cornball there too. It's one of the things that make her attractive to people besides her looks.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Can we all just agree Alexa looks like a total star ? I may be biased because I've liked her for a long time now down in NXT, but she's constantly getting better in the ring, she can cut a decent promo (though that can always use work on), and she has such a great look
Please don't squander her wwe

Happy for Becky, but where does she go on from here ? Would have liked a heel to win for her to chase, but I guess the roster is a but thin

Usos heel turn is good for them
I'm still not very interested in them, but they're So much better than the bland babyfaces they have been for ages own
Their offense is a bit more interesting now
Wasn't that difficult to predict they'd go over Hype Bros though

Ziggler and Miz was good
Was honestly expecting a worse match out of this, but both guys really delivered
Miz is great, and they're doing a good job of building up Ziggler again with these types of matches in my opinion

Bray and Kane/Orton
As a huge Bray mark, this is just disgusting
It's not as bad as I make it out to be, but there's so many ways you can go about things to let Orton stand tall/hit an RKO
Let Bray beat Kane before letting Randy stand tall if you demand it

Slater and Rhyno are absolutely gold BAYBAY
I found this funny how since we rarely if ever see Slater's finisher (the ddt he used and uso pulled him out of the ring) that commentary had no idea and only afterwards made it out to be a big deal :laugh:
So happy for Slater though

AJ bumps like a madman for everyone
Him getting slingshot into the ring post looked painful :laugh:
Dean held his own, but I feel like something needs to change there
He needs to go Moxley on us please
I miss the cold, calculated Ambrose of the shield days

AJ is the wwe champion though
What a night
Ppv was better than I expected

Oct 18, 2011
glad the miz kept the IC title, he's made it somewhat relevant and this match got the time it needed to get over and i like that he cheated to win

Oct 18, 2011
kane beat bray wyatt on ppv right in the middle of the ring in the year 2016

if there's one thing about wyatt, there is no 50/50 booking, it's lose a lot and win once in a while when it matters

Oct 18, 2011
so instead of heath slater cutting a meaningful promo about how tonight's match is the biggest of his career( in kayfabe it is) we get more vince toilet humor. because nobody should care, lets laugh at heath for having diarreah instead

Oct 18, 2011
heath slater is over gotta give the guy credit he made the most of this opportunity and got the fans behind him, good match that got the time it needed, amazing how much more the fans care when you give the talent time to tell a story, instead of wrestling 3 minute fast matches

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->