GDT: WWE Backlash (21st May 2017) - Nakamura’s in-ring debut!

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I seriously hope WWE doesn't ***** out and flip the belt back to Orton on Tuesday.

Like you decided to do this whether people like it or not, so ****ing stick with it for a bit.

IDK if it was the right move, but Jinder at least is semi compelling. Can seemingly cut a decent promo, is a believable heel, not bad in the ring. They did something similar with JBL. No name midcarder into a main eventer basically overnight. Worked okay.

The question is where do they go from here?

Edit: His theme is lowkey fire too. Perfect fit.

They'll see viewership drop below 2m and switch the title back next Tuesday is my guess.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We always complain about the same guys always being champion... Here's a new guy. Give it a chance to work

AJ Styles was a new guy and it's safe to say many fans want that. All we're getting now is jobber turned WWE champion because Vince said so and stands something to gain from an ulterior motive. JBL had been mentioned and I am scared to death that's what they're gonna do with Mahal.

JBL was a fantastic heel in the sense of just pissing everyone off because he reminded everyone of president Bush but he was easily one of the worst WWE Champions in history from a booking standpoint. I think the only time he didn't go over without his boys running interference or Heidenreich screwing Undertaker was Survivor Series 04 when he faced Angle and Big Show and Eddie's rematch in the steel cage match. I have to check my facts but to my count he defended his title 7 times between PPV and Smackdown and 5 times his reign was artificially extended due to some kind of shenanigans.

It was a horse **** championship reign redeemed only by well JBL played his character. if I'm gonna get month after month of the Bollywood Boys screwing over people like Styles then I'm through with WWE until the belt comes off Mahal.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Jbl had some really bloody matches. The Eddy match was a bloodfest. So was cena and jbl. I think there were a few more.

Edit. Plus the big show bbl match was bloody.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'd be fine with Jinder as champ and I would even tune back in to watch it, if they built him up. But no.. they had him lose on television for years and then just rando shot. Build that story and i'll invest.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I'd be fine with Jinder as champ and I would even tune back in to watch it, if they built him up. But no.. they had him lose on television for years and then just rando shot. Build that story and i'll invest.

That was my thinking as well.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Man, **** Twitter. I was so excited to watch Backlash this morning because I was busy last night. Was saving it and looking forward to it. Jump on Twitter for a second last night and the big spoiler from last night was in the trends. :facepalm:

THE MAHARAJA MOTHER****ERS!!! I NEVER DOUBTED :yo: :D

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
The thought of tens of thousands of elementary school kids imitating Nakamura in school yards around the world brings me great joy. :D

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Up to the Breezango match, so far this PPV is great. The Nakamura debut was pretty great I thought. :D

Smackdown is so infinitely better. They do such a better job than RAW of making all the characters matter.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Man, **** Twitter. I was so excited to watch Backlash this morning because I was busy last night. Was saving it and looking forward to it. Jump on Twitter for a second last night and the big spoiler from last night was in the trends. :facepalm:

THE MAHARAJA MOTHER****ERS!!! I NEVER DOUBTED :yo: :D
That's your own fault lool

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Man, Breezango/USOs was great. Fandango is so freakin' talented. When he's allowed to do his thing in the ring, he's awesome. This already is approaching my favorite PPV of the year.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I don't care what you guys say, Jinder is getting huge reactions now. This promo from him is epic.

I hate the whole race angle but I love everything else about him. I know this is soulless corportism to capitalize on an emerging foreign market. But I don't care. It's ushering in something new and different.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I don't care what you guys say, Jinder is getting huge reactions now. This promo from him is epic.

his promo was garbage and he got "WHAT"ed into oblivion. but whatever makes you happy. maybe we put Curt Hawkins as IC champ or have Ellsworth beat Lesnar for the Universal next

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Christian never won the WWE Championship. Let that sink in.

People laughing when Jinder won = priceless. I haven't liked Orton in years, so it doesn't both me.

But when Grandma Breeze and the Pre-Show winner gets bigger reactions than your World Champ.......

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
his promo was garbage and he got "WHAT"ed into oblivion. but whatever makes you happy. maybe we put Curt Hawkins as IC champ or have Ellsworth beat Lesnar for the Universal next

You didn't mark for them rolling out the Indian carpet out for him? :laugh: I think I am highly entertained by Jinder in the same way [mod]. The sheer absurdity of it makes me mark out. I realized I'm wired differently from most of you. :laugh: And I was a huge Jinder fan since 3MB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Christian never won the WWE Championship.

Let that sink in.

I'm sorry but I will never get IWC love for Christian. Yeah he's alright IC-tier but for re-zel?

It goes downhill from there.

:laugh: I think I'm enjoying this so much because it's early in the day and I'm fast forwarding through the crap.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
You didn't mark for them rolling out the Indian carpet out for him? :laugh: I think I am highly entertained by Jinder in the same way [mod]. The sheer absurdity of it makes me mark out. I realized I'm wired differently from most of you. :laugh: And I was a huge Jinder fan since 3MB.

I thought the rug thing was funny, remarked at the time, other than that im disinterested in the entire thing. hoping Randy takes it right back tomorrow

hmm, maybe this was WWEs plan. make me finally WANT Randy to win the title :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Man, having a good ring announcer really makes wrestling so much better. It's such a small detail but it can really set up a match to be a barn burner. I say over and over how much I love Greg Hamilton as ring announcer on Smackdown. He got the crowd FIRED UP for this AJ/Owens match.

In order to be a WWE fan you have to learn to tune things out or you can't watch the product. Michael Cole and non-hype ring announcers are things that literally no longer register in my consciousness anymore. But having a ring announcer who's hype like Hamilton adds sooooo much.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I thought it made Dolph look so weak. I tend to agree but I thought Nakamura came out looking like a million bucks which was the point. What are your qualms?
The match was meh. It should have been Nakamura going in, doing his sports, killing Ziggler and winning easily. It should have been a glorified squash match.

It wasn't. Nakamura was going at 20%, Ziggler was Ziggler and took far too much of the match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad