Post-Game Talk: WTF? Kane passes, Fatty McLargeass is solid: Jets Too Legit To Quit in Washington!

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Agree with so many here, that was a nice game for the team last night.

Kane: Looked like he is taking steps to become the player we all hope and need him to be. Has been hitting, skating, passing, and playing in both ends of the ice. If he keeps this up, and actually builds on it (I think he even has more to give), he is going to be something special.

Burmi: Guy doesn't have a point, but has been great for us IMO. Especially in the last 2 games. He's great on the PK, and an unreal skater. Not worried too much because I think the offense will come, but I am very high on Burmi. The last two games have been a perfect example to me how someone looking at stats and saying that Burmi is disappointing really isn't watching the games.

Little: Small sample size, but I liked his game on the wing. Maybe it's simpler for him (remove the centre responsibilities), and he is a smaller guy, but I really liked his game going up and down the boards. And 7 shots in his first game on the wing in a long time? Many of us have mentioned before, but I don't think the eventual emergence or Scheifele or Burmistrov to centre, or us signing a UFA centre means we don't need Little. I think there could be a place for him on the wing going forward (contract willing).

Wheeler: Nice to see him get one and hopefully that will get him going.

Ladd: Same as Wheeler. Played pretty good, but I think these guys both have more to give.

Antro: Doesn't get enough credit sometimes. But looked good with Ladd and Little last night. He may not get up and down the ice all that fast, but he's decent in our own zone, a very good puck distributor, and is very good with the puck behind the net.

Olli: Hasn't put up points, but has played pretty well overall. I've seen a few questionable passes here and there, but he's also been good at carrying the puck out of our zone and establishing possession in the offensive zone I've thought. When he starts to really click with Kane and put up points it is going to really help.

Scheifele: Doesn't look too out of place IMO. He's defiantly not hurting us out there. I can see this being a tough decision for TNSE.

Buff and Enstrom: Another good game for them I thought. Both have been minute warriors for us so far. Buff was over 30 minutes in Boston? Question: Has anyone seen the Buff we saw at the beginning of last year yet? The one that would be fore-checking and setting up behind the other teams goal? I think from the half way point last year and into this year we are seeing Buff trying to reel himself in a bit. He's still going to pinch, but it hasn't look like it did during the 1st few games last year. Enstrom has been very good as well IMO.

Hainsey and Stuart: Not bad, but I would say they are just treading water. Stuart is being Stuart and leaving it all on the ice, but can't be on the 2nd pair. And Hainsey to me is only an adequate #4 at the best of times, and that's when paired with a good #3. But both played well last night I thought.

Clitsome and Postma: Not horrible, but still a little scary. Postma is getting better than his 1st night. He's got nice offensive skills though. Would really like to see Redmond get in the lineup but can't see them putting Redmond and Postma together (yikes). Any chance Redmond could play with Hainsey and Stuart with Postma?

Pavs: Getting better each game IMO. Didn't like the Turris goal against Ottawa, and while he made a lot of saves in Boston, he looked a little out of position at times, he looked pretty decent last night. I would have liked to have seen the team not let up so much on the last PK last night and give the Caps that 2nd goal for Pavelec. I don't think either of the two goals were on Pavs in the end.

Last but not least:

Noel and the coaching staff: Gotta give Noel some props for breaking up the lines and trying a few new things (Antro up with Ladd and Little, Little on the wing, etc). Also, no way to tell at this point, but the PK has looked better so far than last year (last years collapse and pray for 2 minutes plan), so I am going to assume that Perry Pern has been instituting something different which has seemed to work better so far.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
only 3 SOG, 2 less than Ladd, Little and Jokinen

only 1G and 1A

he keeps passing it instead of shooting

I wish he had come to practice 3 days early instead of two... what a slacker :rant:

/sarcasm
I hope Evander continues to follow the Kessel curve:

Phil Kessel
Drafted:5th overall

Year 1 - GP: 70 - Goals: 11 - Assists: 18 - Points: 29
Year 2 - GP: 82 - Goals: 19 - Assists: 18 - Points: 37
Year 3 - GP: 70 - Goals: 36 - Assists: 24 - Points: 60

Evander Kane
Drafted: 4th overall

Year 1 - GP: 66 - Goals: 14 - Assists: 12 - Points: 26
Year 2 - GP: 73 - Goals: 19 - Assists: 24 - Points: 43
Year 3 - GP: 74 - Goals: 30 - Assists: 27 - Points: 57

I am not a Kessel fan, but I would love to see Kane become an 80+ point player, especially with his nasty power forward edge.

Duir

Liked the game the Jets played. Defensive zone break outs were pretty well clean alright. Postma looked reserved and eased a couple short break out passes, overall played pretty good. Schief did not look out of place and can see him staying up. His positioning is pretty well on target in the D, and in the O he looks ready to jump in, but also ready to hustle back.

Hainsey did a great job a few times at eliminating options for Ovechkin in the Jets end. Never had an opinion before on Riberio but after tonight that guy is a whiney *****. Yeah it should have been called and he made his point at the face off, but to carry on for the next two periods and then get kicked out AFTER your teams goal? I see a new scouting report on him coming out in teams dressing rooms this morning :D

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Last season after three games the Jets were 0-3; this season they are 1-1-1, a much better start. They've now a foundation from which to work. If they can just keep battling at this rate then if they ever go on a hot streak (like in December of last season)... it will mean more than simply just battling to get back into contention.

cocorico

Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
Buff and Enstrom: Another good game for them I thought. Both have been minute warriors for us so far. Buff was over 30 minutes in Boston? Question: Has anyone seen the Buff we saw at the beginning of last year yet? The one that would be fore-checking and setting up behind the other teams goal? I think from the half way point last year and into this year we are seeing Buff trying to reel himself in a bit. He's still going to pinch, but it hasn't look like it did during the 1st few games last year. Enstrom has been very good as well IMO.

Hainsey and Stuart: Not bad, but I would say they are just treading water. Stuart is being Stuart and leaving it all on the ice, but can't be on the 2nd pair. And Hainsey to me is only an adequate #4 at the best of times, and that's when paired with a good #3. But both played well last night I thought.

Clitsome and Postma: Not horrible, but still a little scary. Postma is getting better than his 1st night. He's got nice offensive skills though. Would really like to see Redmond get in the lineup but can't see them putting Redmond and Postma together (yikes). Any chance Redmond could play with Hainsey and Stuart with Postma?

Buff and Enstrom: leading scorers on the team, responsible defensively (thanks to Toby)

Hainsey and Stuart: handling the 2nd pairing very well so far: they were not scored on in the 1st two games on the road (ES or PK) with over 40 minutes on-ice in 2 days. Stuart stood up Ovechkin several times last night one-on-on and also knocked him down. 11 blocked shots between them against the Caps

Clitsome and Postma: improving, but neither is as reliable as Hainsey and Stuart. Postma has been putting the puck on net and jumping up when appropriate

Last edited by a moderator:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Burmi: Guy doesn't have a point, but has been great for us IMO. Especially in the last 2 games. He's great on the PK, and an unreal skater. Not worried too much because I think the offense will come, but I am very high on Burmi. The last two games have been a perfect example to me how someone looking at stats and saying that Burmi is disappointing really isn't watching the games.

Pavs: Getting better each game IMO. Didn't like the Turris goal against Ottawa, and while he made a lot of saves in Boston, he looked a little out of position at times, he looked pretty decent last night. I would have liked to have seen the team not let up so much on the last PK last night and give the Caps that 2nd goal for Pavelec. I don't think either of the two goals were on Pavs in the end.

Last but not least:

Noel and the coaching staff: Gotta give Noel some props for breaking up the lines and trying a few new things (Antro up with Ladd and Little, Little on the wing, etc). Also, no way to tell at this point, but the PK has looked better so far than last year (last years collapse and pray for 2 minutes plan), so I am going to assume that Perry Pern has been instituting something different which has seemed to work better so far.
Agree with pretty much everything, but I wanted to add a few tid bits here:

Burmi: Advanced Stats people really like him.

Pav: I really liked that he didn't have to carry the team last night. He looked good, but he didn't have to make a ton of crazy saves or stop much anything dangerous.

The PK: The best thing to happen to the PK has been Burmi and Antro on the first unit. They are really really good as opposed to Glass and Slater who were really really bad. Burmi may already be one of the best penalty killers in the league.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
nice post Guerzy and I agree and your friend is right scelaton we did play big.

I have a few morning after thoughts.

I believe we are seeing the first glimpse of Chevy's vision for what he wants our team to be like. Great to talk about it but much better to watch it in action.

I wonder if our new Sports psychologist helped on this road trip ;). We exercised some demons.

Noel coached a good game. I like how he put Clitsome and Postma with Kane Wheeler and Jokinen. It was a form of sheltering (garret ? ;)) and Postma is very good at engaging and jumping in the rush.

Imagine Trouba (2 years from now) and Bogosian with last night’s forward grouping. :help:

I also think a 6'5" 220 lb (once he fills out) Adam Lowry will fit this system like a glove at some point.

If you would have told me last Saturday when I was leaving the MTS centre with my tail between my legs that we would get 3 out of a possible 4 points in back to back games in Boston then Washington with Pavs for both I would have done cartwheels.

Buff being fit is a huge bonus especially with Bogo out.

Saw Pavs playing soccer (on a TSN feature) before the game with some of the boys and he didn't look fat he is just a big guy. He could be more fit for sure but I didn't see a problem as much as I saw an opportunity.

Good night bad night aside to me the Jets feel like a team that can play within themselves and compete.....last year it felt like we needed Wheeler (or some other player) to play out of their head or we had to ride the high of the home crowd. This year it feels more team based and sustainable because of better balance across four lines.

Pittsburgh will be very tough but in some ways I am looking forward to the test. Let’s see how they handle our size down low and physicality?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I sympathized with Ribeiro a little bit after he was hit in the face/neck, because he did get a stick to the throat that required a tracheotomy a few years ago.

I lost all sympathy when he wouldn't shut up though. If I wasn't whiny I would've gone to the ref and said "Hey, I've had a serious injury before that resulted from a stick to my neck, if you could watch the sticks that'd be great". Being a total ******* won't get you calls, as we saw late in the game.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I sympathized with Ribeiro a little bit after he was hit in the face/neck, because he did get a stick to the throat that required a tracheotomy a few years ago.

I lost all sympathy when he wouldn't shut up though. If I wasn't whiny I would've gone to the ref and said "Hey, I've had a serious injury before that resulted from a stick to my neck, if you could watch the sticks that'd be great". Being a total ******* won't get you calls, as we saw late in the game.

Agree HS.

That missed call was pretty brutal. How Ribeiro handled it the rest of the game was embarrassing. Sometimes calls don't go your way and you just gotta move on and play the game. He really hurt his team last night. If one of our guys was acting the way he was throughout the game, I would hope Noel would just send him to the room to take his crap off. You win some, you lose some, but you gotta play on and help your team.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
what did you guys think of Wright? not gonna lie i was a little intoxicated watching the game so i dont remember him much

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
@CoachsCornerCBC: Jets played perfect road game. Good for them. WSH players should be embarrassed. Not many guys worked up a sweat. They should check their underwear. All the guys except Hendricks. Him and Thorburn had a beauty. A lot of empty seats there.

(two tweets put together)

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I am glad our next opponent is Pittsburgh and we have a good 2 days off here to get some rest and prepare. I hope we do not sit on these last 2 games and get too confident or feel too good about ourselves. If the boys come out Friday with the same effort and mentality as they did vs. Boston and Washington, it will put a lot of faith in me.

Sabonis

Feb 3, 2008
Did someone mention Nikolai Antropov? Did someone mention how unbeatable he looks behind the goal and against the boards? Seriously, he was one of our best players in those three games. He's effective and does what he does. I'm pretty sure most people STILL didn't see him. Most people still thought "What's Antropov doing with Little and Ladd on the 2nd line?" yesterday. And most people still didn't see what Nik Antropov brings on the ice.

No, of course not..he is easily the most under appreciated player on this team. I watch him pretty closely and he does a lot of things correctly. Burmi seems to get all the credit for the PK, but Antropov did a lot more in this third game.

He isn't flashy, but he gets things done, I wish what he did was noticed more by the fans, and he was given his due.

Last edited by a moderator:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Time to give some love to the Jets tough minutes players:

Ron Hainsey - 8:35 on the PK
Nik Antropov - 6:52 on the PK
Toby Enstrom - 6:09 on the PK

Who would have picked those three to be the Jets PK TOI leaders?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
what did you guys think of Wright? not gonna lie i was a little intoxicated watching the game so i dont remember him much

He didn't look out of place for not having played any NHL games since 2010. Small sample size and the Caps played awful, but he had a couple of decent rushes and wasn't a liability. However, we thought the same of Clitsome after a couple of games.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
A friend texted me during the game and said simply, "they are playing BIG". It's true, even small guys like Slater and Burmi are playing big. It appears as if adding size and just that much more talent has made everyone play bigger and feel more confident.

agree... and love the avatar. fellow deadhead on the HF boards?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

He got caught watching the play on the first goal against, but I thought he looked good. He definitely wasn't out of place considering it was his first NHL action in years.

He is also really really quick for a big dude. He accelerates very quickly. There definitely could be something there. Scouting reports laud his defensive awareness, so I will give him a pass on the error and hope he can clean it up. He has a chance to stick, especially if Scheifele gets sent down.

Kane-Olli-Wheeler
Ladd-Antro-Little
Poni-Burmi-Welly
Wright-Slater-Thor

Peluso as needed.

Noel mentioned pre-game that Wright could get a 3rd line look down the road. He can also play centre. His versatility will be nice if/when injuries happen.

Antro (C/RW), Little (C/RW), Burmi (C/RW) , Welly (LW/C/RW), Wright (LW/C)

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Takes a few shots at him. I like how it seems like they are buddies.

Kane has been back and forth with Slater and previously with Ladd. Looks like he has quite a good time with the guys. It's really nice to see him enjoying the team and life in general.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
He got caught watching the play on the first goal against, but I thought he looked good. He definitely wasn't out of place considering it was his first NHL action in years.

He is also really really quick for a big dude. He accelerates very quickly. There definitely could be something there. Scouting reports laud his defensive awareness, so I will give him a pass on the error and hope he can clean it up. He has a chance to stick, especially if Scheifele gets sent down.

Kane-Olli-Wheeler
Ladd-Antro-Little
Poni-Burmi-Welly
Wright-Slater-Thor

Peluso as needed.

Noel mentioned pre-game that Wright could get a 3rd line look down the road. He can also play centre. His versatility will be nice if/when injuries happen.

Antro (C/RW), Little (C/RW), Burmi (C/RW) , Welly (LW/C/RW), Wright (LW/C)

I loved the way the lines were shaken up and I hope that going forward, we give these a chance to gel even more.

I think I may be alone in thinking at the end of the game, that Sheifele would be staying? I thought he looked good for someone who is probably pretty nervous about his future this year. It looked to me like he would do pretty well after a few more games.

Wright - I was pleasantly surprised. He moves fast for a big guy! Good skating, puck control, speed (and obviously size), for someone that hasn't played an NHL game in a couple of years. With the right coaching, we might have found a hidden gem here. (I know, don't get a head of myself here).

I think everyone has else has summed up my thoughts for the rest of the team, so no sense in repeating it.

Very, very happy with the effort (individual and team) and chemistry of the old and the new.

I would like to see peluso at some point though..... Maybe the Islanders game?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I loved the way the lines were shaken up and I hope that going forward, we give these a chance to gel even more.

I think I may be alone in thinking at the end of the game, that Sheifele would be staying? I thought he looked good for someone who is probably pretty nervous about his future this year. It looked to me like he would do pretty well after a few more games.

Wright - I was pleasantly surprised. He moves fast for a big guy! Good skating, puck control, speed (and obviously size), for someone that hasn't played an NHL game in a couple of years. With the right coaching, we might have found a hidden gem here. (I know, don't get a head of myself here).

I think everyone has else has summed up my thoughts for the rest of the team, so no sense in repeating it.

Very, very happy with the effort (individual and team) and chemistry of the old and the new.

I would like to see peluso at some point though..... Maybe the Islanders game?
I think Scheifele could stay and help the team, but I am not sure what the Jets think is best for his development. That is anybody's guess.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Oh Ribiero got calls all right..lmao

Far from where we need to be to be in the playoffs at seasons end but definitely looking more and more composed each game.

Loved the new line combos. Kane and Wheeler are both so overwhelming on the rush.

Loved the intermission quote from Dreger: "if your going to live the life of a rock star, you had better play like it- and he has so far tonight." Great game from Kane.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Forgot about his surgery, but after years of him diving and faking injuries, I really didn't feel sorry for him at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad