Confirmed Trade: [WSH/TOR] Rasmus Sandin for 2023 BOS 1st round pick and Erik Gustafsson

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Don’t like the deal at all

1st is gonna be late 20’s
Gustafsson can’t play defence. Power play quarterback maybe, but not gio has not spot unless he plays off hand

Only way this work is if holl gets dealt for picks

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Not sure why all leaf fans are confused. It's clear Sandin isn't happy being off the roster and he is the odd man out with the mccabe trade

We have Rielly, McCabe and Gio on our LD, who does he displace over the next couple seasons? He's not someone you keep as "depth" - if you don't have use for him now better to get the 2023 1st.
I am not confused.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Did not see this, at all.

Sandin was clearly going to be the odd man out barring injuries on the blueline so Dubas sends him somewhere he can play but then brings in another LD. Ah, a cheaper, more experienced LD.
After they brought in McCabe I honestly thought they would move Sandin. They weren't going to play him anyway.

Agent37

Jul 13, 2022
Gus has been pretty solid this season in WAS. He can hold the 7D duty or jump in on the third pair and play PP minutes.

I think this is good business for TOR. They clear some cap space, recoup an asset, and still have a warm body NHLer.
Since Carlson went down Gustafsson has basically been the Capitals 1D and Powerplay driver (though you would probably do a better job Orlov was their 1D once Carlson went down). He's been great offensively but defensively is not always great.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Leafs fans dislike it and other fans are like wow a Toronto win. Sandin is going to be a good dman for Washington. This really sucks. He is becoming a solid 2nd pairing guy.

Reactions: Neil Racki

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Very weird move from Toronto pov.
Unless Dubas use that pick in another trade, it's not a good move IMO.
If he does trade back the 1st for a better now defender that's a big win.
Gustafsson can't defend. He's no better then Sandin.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
dayyyyyyyyyymn. Not surprising, but still surprising af.

Nice to re-coup a 1st rounder but I've got a feeling Sandin is going to make us regret trading him. Still has top 4 upside IMO.

Dubas doing him right though. Timmens can play #7 and Benn #8, doesn't make sense to sit Sandin.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
First deal from dubas that I don't love.

We've got too many capable dman.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Very weird move from Toronto pov.
Unless Dubas use that pick in another trade, it's not a good move IMO.
If he does trade back the 1st for a better now defender that's a big win.
Gustafsson can't defend. He's no better then Sandin.

The Leafs don’t need Gustafsson

Rielly
Brodie
Liljegren
Mccabe
Giordano
Holl
Timmins

Top 7

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I guess it's better than letting sandin rot behind other vets and lower his value in the future, so it kind of makes sense.
I honestly think they got good value for Sandin. He's only ever played 3rd pair minutes and he doesn't have impressive production.

I think I undersold Gus. He's been really good in WAS. And if he is in the lineup, he'll be a PP upgrade on Rielly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad