Confirmed Trade: [WSH/TOR] Rasmus Sandin for 2023 BOS 1st round pick and Erik Gustafsson

Jan 21, 2018
And yet another point for Sandin. He’s consistently producing top pairing point production for Washington. Good in his own end to boot. Cap’s absolutely fleeced Dubas!

And yet another -2 for Sandin. He’s consistently letting goals get scored for opposing teams. Terrible in his own end to boot. Cap’s absolutely got fleeced by Dubas!

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Boy trades with the Leafs never die down. We’ll be hearing about this trade for the next decade.
Caps fans will be taking the brunt of leaf fans knee-jerk reactions to habs/boston/isle trolls for years and years to come. Sorry about that.

Maybe steal of the trade of the deadline . This one might haunt leaf fans for years. Very unnecessary trade if you ask me.
Shouldn't it haunt the team, why are you so worried about the fans feelings all of a sudden? :laugh:

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
This trade is gonna bite the leafs in the ass in a year or two, sandin is better than a lot of the leafs d-man but was never gonna get the chance because the leafs would rather play the corpse of giodano and holl over him.

Sandin is better than a lot of the Leafs d-men? Such as?

He had plenty of opportunity this year with all of the injuries to the blue line. Did not make an impact on the PP and wasn’t good enough defensively to see PK time.

A lot of Leaf fans had him and Liljigren pencilled in as their second pairing this year.
Both seemed to struggle under the current coach. We will see how Sandin does going forward but he looks so far like a player who just needed to play more. It happens all of the time.

Both seemed to have struggled under Keefe? How has Liljegren struggled? Guy has been rock solid for the past year and a half. Fan base would’ve been up in arms if we moved Liljegren.

And yet another point for Sandin. He’s consistently producing top pairing point production for Washington. Good in his own end to boot. Cap’s absolutely fleeced Dubas!

And minus 11 over the past 4 games. Been on the ice for 11 of 13 of Washington’s 5v5 goal’s against.

People appear incapable of viewing this objectively. He was not better than Liljegren, he did not outplay Giordano for 3rd LHD, and he was not going to play in the playoffs at all with the addition of McCabe at LHD.

But he is a not a scrub like some people have attempted to portray him. He’s a good player that can develop into a quality 2nd pairing defenseman. He needs to be paired with an elite skating defensive defenseman, like Jensen, if you want to get the most out of him. His current point production is not sustainable but I can see him being a consistent 35-45 point D going forward.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Sandin will become a solid player over time. Lilly rapidly surpased Sandins progress after Sandin was injured last year and Lilly was paired with Gio.

He had to go unfortunately. Best of luck to him. Dubas moved the right D Man at this juncture and received a 1st Rounder..

It also illustrates how much the Leafs D has improved when I see that Sandin played 24+ min for the Caps today.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Still the guy with the most ice time for Washington. Very impressive.
This legitimately seems to have been the Capitals plan all along; give the guy all the minutes in the world and let him do what he will with them. The team is going nowhere fast this season so no reason to bubble wrap him. It’s a better long term strategy to unleash him for every offensive opportunity, tell him to try to figure out the Defensive side on his own, and coach him up on his deficiencies. A lot of times the exact opportunity the Capitals can afford Sandin today is the very specific key to unlocking their potential for Better or for Worse. Gotta take the Training Wheels off. Clearly the Caps Management saw something in the player that they liked and thus far it seems to hold dividends.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
wow, high praise for Sandin to put him above the guy you've trashed for 6 years. He joins that exclusive club with Juolevi and every other defensive prospect ever!
Having an opinion that Sandin will translate into a better player and prospect than Lilegren when they were both Leafs is trashing a player? It would not surprise me one bit that the Capitals did very well here to acquire him for only a very late first rd pick. A very low % trade if the Leafs think they will find a player that will be better than Sandin with that very late 1st rd pick IMO.

Said this 4 years ago.

Projects well into a solid 2nd pairing D man at #3 or #4 in the NHL.
LD Rasmus Sandin - Rogle BK, SHL (2018, 29th, TOR)

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Glad he's doing good in WSH.

Realistically though, we have Lill as our youngbuck D-man who had already cemented his spot in the lineup FT. Sandin never did cement his spot. He also made his situation more difficult by playing hardball in negotiations.

Reactions: Ciao

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Having an opinion that Sandin will translate into a better player and prospect than Lilegren when they were both Leafs is trashing a player? It would not surprise me one bit that the Capitals did very well here to acquire him for only a very late first rd pick. A very low % trade if the Leafs think they will find a player that will be better than Sandin with that very late 1st rd pick IMO.

Said this 4 years ago.

Projects well into a solid 2nd pairing D man at #3 or #4 in the NHL.
LD Rasmus Sandin - Rogle BK, SHL (2018, 29th, TOR)
Interesting statement considering every 1st pick that they have made in each draft run by Dubas has produced a prospect that has the same potential or higher potential than Sandin. Add in the fact that the Leafs will most likely trade this 1st for more assets/picks I would say the % is much better than low.

Weast

May 16, 2011
Sometimes players need a change of scenery. Sandin would not have this opportunity to flourish on the Leafs. Good trade on both ends, as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: Ciao and uncleben

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 9.29.51 PM.png

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
What?

I mean whether you’re simply just stat watching or actually watching the games, I don’t see how you can come to this conclusion either way.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Sandin is one of the guys I was most excited to watch develop.

Didn’t click the way many had hoped with the Leafs, but he’s still got time.

I was initially not happy, but considering the return, hard to fault Dubas for flipping him. Hope he does well in Washington.

Jan 21, 2018
What?

I mean whether you’re simply just stat watching or actually watching the games, I don’t see how you can come to this conclusion either way.

He came to this conclusion because he is a habs fan that is obsessed with Dubas:

I have a feeling Dubas is hoping the 1st can be used to dump Murray. Trading for Murray was a fireable offense.

Hilarious bad trade for Dubas. That one will leave a mark.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Sandin is one of the guys I was most excited to watch develop.

Didn’t click the way many had hoped with the Leafs, but he’s still got time.

I was initially not happy, but considering the return, hard to fault Dubas for flipping him. Hope he does well in Washington.
Yeah, he has rumored to be trying to trade him since at least last draft I believe. This is the best offer he probably has received for Sandin. Considering that probably weren't planning to use him in the playoffs, his value probably would've only decreased by draft time. They also apparently wanted Gustaffson for some time. Seems like a win win, Dubas gets a 31 year old, with better skating and more experience and he gets a 1st to replenish picks lost acquiring O'Reilly and McCabe.

Could be worse, Timmins and Valimaki we're similarly hyped defenders around his age that their teams lost for nothing. At least Leafs got good value for Sandin.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

Couple problems here; let’s examine.

1-You’re referencing Tom Gulitti. Do better, try harder.
2-Name a Capital who has played well defensively in 2023.
3-The Capitals Blue-line literally featured two guys who don’t belong on an NHL roster (Matt Irwin and Gabriel Carlsson) and a guy who has spent the majority of the season in the AHL (Alexeyev).
4-The Capitals are not good. Good players will carry a Minus for the Capitals for the rest of the season as the Capitals are likely to be outscored at Even Strength for the rest of the season.
5-Sandin’s principle role on the Caps for the foreseeable future is to QB the PP (and learn to be a good distributor to #8 while Carlson is out). Guess where PP goals don’t show up?

Evaluating Sandin by his +/- might suit your narrative but it is incredibly naive and not particularly informative.

Sandin is playing De Facto 1D minutes for the Capitals, who are, again, quite bad. He’ll be a Minus for the rest of the season, he’ll also be a 1D. I’d expect that experience will do him plenty of good when the Caps have a semi-competent D-Core next season and Sandin can transition to playing less than super-human 1D minutes on a Lottery Team (which is precisely where he is today).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad