Confirmed Trade: [WSH/NJ] Marcus Johansson to NJ for 2018 2nd, 3rd

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I imagine we try players out of their position before throwing McLeod at 2RW and Noesen at 3RW.

Shero was asked if he was more of a LW/C and said he can do both. He did mention him though in a list of players who could play LW/C so who knows.
I tend to agree... we'll probably be signing someone.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I tend to agree... we'll probably be signing someone.

Can't complain about Shero and his trades but I do hope it's a signing. We have little expendable assets remaining now and I'd prefer to use whatever we have left on the defense. It's by far the bigger priority to progress this rebuild.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Aside form the team on the ice, which is steadily improving.. what exactly are those issues?

If that's all the poster was referring to, not sure i feel that bad for MoJo. Being part of a young team isn't a death sentence.

No, it's not a death sentence and Johansson is young enough to wait out a rebuild. The problem is that it doesn't look like the franchise knows which path to take to become a contender again. IMO, they are closer to the full tank route rather than the rebuild on the fly route. If Johansson helps win a few close games, that's actually a negative - they should go for very high draft picks for a number of years in a row.

The other problem is that the Devils can't attract players to sign there so they can't fill identified holes easily, which is another reason they should rely on drafting ****loads of high end players. BUT, the pressure to compete, especially with 5 years without PO revenue and PO fan retention makes this patient approach very difficult.

And finally, they are in one hell of a division.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
No, it's not a death sentence and Johansson is young enough to wait out a rebuild. The problem is that it doesn't look like the franchise knows which path to take to become a contender again. IMO, they are closer to the full tank route rather than the rebuild on the fly route. If Johansson helps win a few close games, that's actually a negative - they should go for very high draft picks for a number of years in a row.

The other problem is that the Devils can't attract players to sign there so they can't fill identified holes easily, which is another reason they should rely on drafting ****loads of high end players. BUT, the pressure to compete, especially with 5 years without PO revenue and PO fan retention makes this patient approach very difficult.

And finally, they are in one hell of a division.

What exactly do you think we are doing rebuild wise?

We just drafted first overall. Two years ago we drafted 6th. We drafted 4th and traded him for Hall (a first overall).. this ain't no rebuild on the fly. This is very clearly a full fledged rebuild and it's been going on for a few years now, albeit slow at first under Lou.

And the theory that the Devils can't attract players is just bogus and pretty unsupported. Players go to good teams, and when the Devils were consistent contenders.. they had no issues in FA at all. Heck, they signed the biggest FA in NHL history, even if it turned out poorly for them.

Trust me, Devils fans know what rebuilding on the fly is. We did it for like ten years under Lou before it finally came crashing down. This is a full fledged rebuild. Our forwards are set. We need to work on our defense but we're far from needing to draft high for a number of years. We won't be competing this year and MoJo isn't going to hurt us in the draft, especially with the lottery the way it is.

Very few times is outright tanking the way to go and I would strongly advocate it's the wrong way to go for the Devils. They have enough young talent that they need to start building, not tearing down.

I'll give you the division but the timing may work in their favor. Their window isn't close to being open yet so who knows where the rest of the division will be at when it does. Heck, if anything.. the division being so hard helps them right now.

Last edited:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
WTF???????

Disappointed. because I didn't want him to leave. The only player who outplayed his contract last year (with Nisky, I'm talking about big $$$ guys)

Disappointed by the price, yes and no. Everybody knows we are in troubles, so not surprised to not have even a 1st rounder, but disappointed.

We will miss you MoJo.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
it's pretty rough here. I got to take a cold shower today for the first time all year. hopefully tomorrow we can catch that squirrel we've been tracking so I can finally eat.

(or you can live in some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the US)
Shouldve specified. I ment the Devils

lawrence

May 19, 2012
the picks don't even belong to New Jersey apparently.

My gosh this is probably one of the most lop sided trades since, Snow as able to turn Strome into Eberle.

I understand they needed cap room. Just because you need cap room it doesn't mean you give players away like this.

Unbelievable move by New Jersey though.

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
I imagine we try players out of their position before throwing McLeod at 2RW and Noesen at 3RW.

Shero was asked if he was more of a LW/C and said he can do both. He did mention him though in a list of players who could play LW/C so who knows.

Honestly is no one else tired of these situations where we need players to play other positions or were trying to determine their "true" position. Kovy.was great but that was annoying and seemed stressful. Or does this happen on every team? I don't remember this much going on pre.DeBoer. Is this part of the analytics drive?

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Awesome deal for New Jersey. Would have loved this trade for the Islanders instead.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Massive win for Devils. Ridiculous that Caps didn't get better offers.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
This is such a cheap return for top 6 player, that's what salary cap hell will do for the team.

Caps better hope that Vrana is the real deal for them. What's the expected Caps line-up as of now? Hopefully, Vrana will get plenty of ice-time next season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's always great to be able to trade a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a guy in his prime who scored 5 more points than your top scorer.

AkiLumme

May 9, 2017
Ottawa

Instead of paying a 38 year old 3rd line winger 6.25mil for 3 seasons (w/ full NMC) the Leafs could have given up 2 2nd round picks for a really good 26 year old 2nd line winger. Or better yet, given up a 3rd round pick to get Colin Wilson, who has also out-performed Marleau by a significant margin 5v5 in recent years. Both of these players also have contracts expiring in two years which is perfect for a team with young star players to sign in 19/20.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
I don't understand why everyone feels that New Jersey stole Johansson. I mean 2018 is a really good and deep draft (currently). Johansson is a 2nd line guy who gets normally 40+ points. Of course, I'm not saying that he's not worth a 2nd and 3rd (I would say he's worth two 2nd's). Washington must feel really good about this draft that they don't mine having only a 2nd and 3rd in 2018. Also, they didn't have a 2nd in this draft because of Eller.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I don't understand all the mojo love. yes he's a good player but last year was the first year he we reached the potential son thought he had when drafted. So in other words it took a ridiculously good team to bring out the full potential of him. Devils fans should be prepared to see glimpses of really good play and then a lot of underwhelming play at the same time I don't think they should have given him away for nothing. It's kind of the same with Schmidt in the playoffs everybody got big on Schmidt he will be forgotten in a couple years

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't understand why everyone feels that New Jersey stole Johansson. I mean 2018 is a really good and deep draft (currently). Johansson is a 2nd line guy who gets normally 40+ points. Of course, I'm not saying that he's not worth a 2nd and 3rd (I would say he's worth two 2nd's). Washington must feel really good about this draft that they don't mine having only a 2nd and 3rd in 2018. Also, they didn't have a 2nd in this draft because of Eller.

Well, he's a guy who has averaged a 55 point pace over the past 2 seasons, and has averaged a 50 point pace his entire career (excluding his rookie season). He's also coming off a career high 24 goal 58 point campaign and is only 26.

His production would suggest he's a low end 1W / high end 2W (58th among wingers in P/GP since 2011 w/ > 200 gp.) But has the added value of being able to play all 3 forward positions.

Getting a guy like that for 2 draft picks between 40 and 80 is a pretty good deal, as it's unlikely those 2 draft picks play more than 50 NHL games between them.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Because almost everyone else would have offered more.

And because a similar player in Schenn got back a much better return.

AOSC

Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota
WTF???????

Disappointed. because I didn't want him to leave. The only player who outplayed his contract last year (with Nisky, I'm talking about big $$$ guys)

Disappointed by the price, yes and no. Everybody knows we are in troubles, so not surprised to not have even a 1st rounder, but disappointed.

We will miss you MoJo.

My exact thoughts.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I really like our group of forwards. If Shero can add some depth on defense, we can surprise this year. We need some luck and certain players to be better. Cory needs to bounce back, Rico needs to play better and maybe playing wing will help, unless traded. Zacha needs to play more physical and I would like to see at least 40 pts. I have feeling that Nico and McLeod will be fine. As for JQ, He may be used as trade bait as well. If not I believe he'll make the team. I like Boyle and Wood on the 4th line, which could be very physical. Wonder who the other winger will be and hopefully Boyle can get Wood to play a more controlled game and concentrate a bit more on defense.

I love what Shero is doing including not offering max term to Shattenkirk. Now it's up to Hynes. I'm just not sure about the guy and the rest of the coaching staff. We'll see in October.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00