Confirmed Trade: [WSH/NJ] Marcus Johansson to NJ for 2018 2nd, 3rd

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
You PRAY that a 2nd rounder turns out to be someone like Marcus Johansson. Great deal for NJ, IMO.

pray%2Bfor%2Bmojo.jpg

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Not sure many folks here have really watched Marcus Johansson over the years. As long time Caps fan I have. He's Tomas Fleischmann with more speed but less dangle. His game is more suited to the European and International ice, where you have more time and space. You may think highly of his game in October and November, where tight checking and physicality is not as apparent, but come March you'll be cursing him. Yes he's good on zone entries on PPs (note more time and space and thus he can use his speed) but on 5v5 he'll lose puck possession along the boards the majority of times as he can be easily knocked off the puck. He won't win many puck battles along the boards and behind the net. His passing will drive you nuts as he often makes ill advised passes, i.e. drop or blind passes or "tries" to thread the needle through defense. Playing on a line with Kuznetsov and Justin Williams made him look better than he is. His game is as a passenger, that is he benefits from the hard work of others, but he does not drive the play or makes his linemates better.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not sure many folks here have really watched Marcus Johansson over the years. As long time Caps fan I have. He's Tomas Fleischmann with more speed but less dangle. His game is more suited to the European and International ice, where you have more time and space. You may think highly of his game in October and November, where tight checking and physicality is not as apparent, but come March you'll be cursing him. Yes he's good on zone entries on PPs (note more time and space and thus he can use his speed) but on 5v5 he'll lose puck possession along the boards the majority of times as he can be easily knocked off the puck. He won't win many puck battles along the boards and behind the net. His passing will drive you nuts as he often makes ill advised passes, i.e. drop or blind passes or "tries" to thread the needle through defense. Playing on a line with Kuznetsov and Justin Williams made him look better than he is. His game is as a passenger, that is he benefits from the hard work of others, but he does not drive the play or makes his linemates better.

I wouldn't expect him to. He's a 50 point complimentary winger. Should look good next to Hall, a speedy play driving LW who is great 5v5 but mediocre on the PP.

Hall - Zajac - Johansson
Henrique - Hischier - Palmieri

That's a fairly decent top 6 all of the sudden.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm

With 58 points on an ice surface where he "dosnt fit", would he be the gretzky on international ice? I get that Caps fans try to justify this deal somehow and downplay MoJos game, but you guys are not convincing anyone, I think

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Caps still have holes in bottom six, defense and back-up goaltending so far. Carlson needs a new contract next year too.

I'm holding out hope that Carlson comes to NJ next year, fixing the mistake Lou/Conte made in drafting TedenBust Over Him.

Last edited:

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

This is entirely accurate and I'm a Devs fan. Still a steal of a trade because they gave up nothing, but anyone expecting 50+ points from him a season is going to be so disappointed.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Put mojo with someone who can finish and I think this is a good deal.

He's a good player I just think the Caps had to move someone and the have too many over passing players as it is in the top 6. Wilson,Burakovsky and Kuzy needed bigger roles and now they will get their chance.

The Devils got a good deal here provided mojo wasn't just a product of playing on a star powered Caps team. I think he'll look okay with Hall though.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
With 58 points on an ice surface where he "dosnt fit", would he be the gretzky on international ice? I get that Caps fans try to justify this deal somehow and downplay MoJos game, but you guys are not convincing anyone, I think

Not an attempt to justify the deal at all. Just communicating my views of this player from having watched just about every Capitals game for the last few years and attending about 10 games a season. I'm not an analytics guy, so I don't know your Corsi from your Fenwick. As Alan May would say, I'm an eye guy. I go by what I see not what I read. You can look at all the points and whatever else appears on paper, I know what I see and on the Caps board they know I was never a big fan of MOJO as I found him too soft. He would rather pass than shoot. He was just a frustrating player with a capital F. Would I have liked the Capitals to have gotten more for him, most certainly but it is what it is and it opens up a spot for Vrana now.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The cognitive dissonance between criticizing Johansson for being soft and the citing a spot being open for Vrana as a positive amazes me. If you think MoJo is soft, wait until you see Jakub.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I'm holding out hope that Carlson comes to NJ next year, fixing the mistake Lou/Conte made in drafting Josefson Over Him.

Never been more pissed off over a draft pick. Going on 10 years later and I still get annoyed thinking about it. Passing over a home grown RH shot defenseman (a huge need) for a ****ing midget forward.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

He scored 58p kuz scored 59 and Johansson scored more goals than Kuz, so yeah he is absolutly a passenger.

He had almost the same PPG in the playoff as he had in the regulary season.

Btw, Devils will probably not make the playoff either way, and if they do, everything is a plus.

I can not say I share the same view on Johansson, I think he is very underrated.

Not sure what role they will give him in NJ, but one area I can absolutly see him helping them with is being a playmaker in PP.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Nice move by Jersey here. They took full advantage of a cap strapped Washington team. This is what happens if you can't take salary back as part of a trade. Can't help but feel like the Capitals window is closing. Going to be an interesting shakeup of the standings next year.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
it's pretty rough here. I got to take a cold shower today for the first time all year. hopefully tomorrow we can catch that squirrel we've been tracking so I can finally eat.

(or you can live in some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the US)

Only because NYC is next door.....

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Nice. Like this very much. Shero knows how to trade. He's done a lot of good stuff since coming to New Jersey.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Tremendous deal for NJ. Johansson has more value even if they will just deal him at the TDL.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Only because NYC is next door.....

Thats a huge part of it but nj alome also produces a massive amount of high paying jobs on its own. Yet New Jersey is still a richer state per capita than new york and the second richest in the country after Connecticut. What a rediculous unnecessary comment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad