Confirmed Trade: [WSH/NJ] Marcus Johansson to NJ for 2018 2nd, 3rd

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Devils defence is still a completely wreck, but this is really good value for a solid, versatile Top-6 Forward on a very reasonable contract. If they really want to take any sort of step out of the gutters though, they're going to have to do something about that blueline.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Devils defence is still a completely wreck, but this is really good value for a solid, versatile Top-6 Forward on a very reasonable contract. If they really want to take any sort of step out of the gutters though, they're going to have to do something about that blueline.

I would imagine this makes a player like Henrique or Zacha expendable. Package one of those with a pick or maybe even Kovy with some salary retained and they might be able to return at least one very good defender. But it won't make them truly competitive. Not yet. It's still a couple years out before that happens. But they are finally going in the right direction. Shero has been very good to us so far.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Big deal for NJ. Love it.

Don't bother with the disgusting free agents. Get good guys from teams that are dying to shed some salary.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

This was a trade of opportunity. There's no way Mojo was ever going to be had for that cheap except due to Washington ending up in cap hell. When you have that kind of opportunity you have to take it, even if it doesn't fix your biggest problem.

Yeah our D is still a train wreck, but this was a deal you couldn't turn down. My only hope is between now and October a deal for a good young defenseman materializes. But even if it doesn't, there's no way we could have passed on this deal.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can Marcus Johanson shift to centre?....if so, they're a lot stronger down the middle with Johanson and Boyle than they were before July 1st.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Can Marcus Johanson shift to centre?....if so, they're a lot stronger down the middle with Johanson and Boyle than they were before July 1st.

He's better as a winger and that's where the Devils need him anyway. Center depth is Zajac, Hischier, McLeod/Zacha, Boyle.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007

he's played at all three positions, so yes

but he's not that good at winning faceoffs, but so is Zacha so we'll see where he fits in

if the devils C are: Henrique/Zajac/Zacha/Boyle then it is already pretty solid

Johansson should be more of a Cammalleri replacement

imagine if Kovalchuk plays with the devils

Kovalchuk - Henrique - Johansson
Hall - Zajac - Palmieri

(or however devils fans choose to set this up)

this is a pretty solid top 6 right there

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
So now the Cammalleri buy out makes a lot more sense.

This must be who NJ was trying so hard to get, while being lax in FA.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

but he's not that good at winning faceoffs, but so is Zacha so we'll see where he fits in

Hall - Zajac - Palmieri

I imagine Nico will get an opportunity to be 2C out of camp. Henrique isn't really suited as a 2C either, he's better at wing.

Hall - Zajac - Palmieri
Zacha - Nico - Johansson
Henrique - Quenneville - McLeod/Speers
Wood - Boyle - Noesen

or something alone those lines. I imagine we will keep the first line intact for now as it worked well last season and can take the pressure off the young kids to play top minutes.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Hall - Zajac - Palmieri

As much as I'd like Kovy to play here, I'm 99.9999% he will not. He has said as much. I don't think it's even worth imagining at this point. Take Kovy out and add Nico in the top 6 somewhere. Though it's probably more likely that Zacha ends up in the top 6. A lot depends on Nicos camp and first 9 games.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I imagine Nico will get an opportunity to be 2C out of camp. Henrique isn't really suited as a 2C either, he's better at wing.

Hall - Zajac - Palmieri
Zacha - Nico - Johansson
Henrique - Quenneville - McLeod/Speers
Wood - Boyle - Noesen

or something alone those lines. I imagine we will keep the first line intact for now as it worked well last season and can take the pressure off the young kids to play top minutes.

i wonder if rushing Nico in this year would be wise

we've seen way too many young players being rushed in with subpar results (RNH, Hall, Yakupov, Gagner, etc) i know it's all Edmonton players lol but still...

i really think a year or two in the AHL is beneficial for most players unless you're a stud like Crosby or McDavid

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

we've seen way too many young players being rushed in with subpar results (RNH, Hall, Yakupov, Gagner, etc) i know it's all Edmonton players lol but still...

i really think a year or two in the AHL is beneficial for most players unless you're a stud like Crosby or McDavid

Can't play in the AHL. It's also just incredibly rare for #1OA picks to not play in the NHL.

They can take it slow at the NHL level too.

And I dunno, if he can even come close to matching Hall's rookie season.. I'd be pretty happy.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

It's the NHL or Halifax for Nico. Shero has said he expects Nico to be in NJ. However, I don't think anyone is opposed to the idea of sending him back to Halifax if it's clear he's not ready. And he seems like the kind of kid who would find that move a motivating factor instead of pouting about it. It's going to come down to camp and his first 9 games. They should know quickly if he's ready or not.

I think McLeod may be ready for limited NHL minutes.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
It's the NHL or Halifax for Nico. Shero has said he expects Nico to be in NJ. However, I don't think anyone is opposed to the idea of sending him back to Halifax if it's clear he's not ready. And he seems like the kind of kid who would find that move a motivating factor instead of pouting about it. It's going to come down to camp and his first 9 games. They should know quickly if he's ready or not.

I think McLeod may be ready for limited NHL minutes.

Nico will be playing in Bern (SHL) if he doesn't make the NHL.

McLeod is a tough call because he's too young to play in the AHL so it's big leagues or juniors for him. You also have Quenneville knocking on the door after a pretty good first pro season. Probably only spots for two of them (unless McLeod can play RW, but you also have Speers and a few others competing for that slot).

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I don't understand this league and the trade values at all. 26 year old player, 24 goals last year, decent playoffs. Where is Ottawa in this? Where is Montreal? Weird league sometimes when lesser players (Burrows) go for the same or more.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: