Confirmed Trade: [WSH/NJ] Marcus Johansson to NJ for 2018 2nd, 3rd

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
The Caps are going to have a tough time iceing a decent lineup next season, and still have 4 spots to fill (3F-1D). Washington might have to fill out the 3rd and 4th lines with AHLers next season.

Line 1 LW Ovechkin C Backstrom RW Oshie
Line 2 LW Burakovsky C Kuznetsov RW ?
Line 3 LW ? C Eller RW Wilson
Line 4 LW ? C Beagle RW Connolly

1st D-Pair LD Orlov RD Carlson
2nd D-Pair LD ? RD Niskanen
3rd D-Pair LD Orpik RD Chorney

im probably not the one to think that this trade meaning Radulov or Markov to Washington. This would be a huge upgrade whatever who you'll pick

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Guess Washington really needed the...

giphy.gif

Caps space

:laugh: well done :handclap:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Now I'm hoping that Kovy decides to stay in NJ

Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Johansson-Hischier-Kovalchuk
Zacha-Henrique-McLeod
Wood-Boyle-Noesen

We could still use a right winger in case Kovy doesn't sign here if McLeod doesn't impress in camp... but I am happy with the forwards now.

The D needs a LOT of work.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The Devils are good hands with Shero.
Zajac will be a good 3C defensive forward in 2-3yrs behind Hischier, Zacha, McLeod or Quenneville

That is the plan. He is fine shouldering the tough minutes and doing the heavy minutes while the young centers develop.

Once they get going we can transition him down the lineup.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Now I'm hoping that Kovy decides to stay in NJ

Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Johansson-Hischier-Kovalchuk
Zacha-Henrique-McLeod
Wood-Boyle-Noesen

We could still use a right winger in case Kovy doesn't sign here if McLeod doesn't impress in camp... but I am happy with the forwards now.

The D needs a LOT of work.

Want Marc Staal? :sarcasm:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No no, all these does for now is mean we're going to lose games 4-2/4-3 instead of 4-1/5-1. The defense is still a trainwreck.

Yep. The forward group is getting there but the D-group needs to be rebuild, and sadly that's not easy.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
How the hell are Caps fans thinking they can sign Markov or Radulov? Do they not understand the cap situation?

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
Ridiculous. The Capitals could've gotten a better deal than that AND not have to trade him within the division.
These are the kinds of posts that are really stupid. You don't know that at all.

I agree that the valuation on MoJo is poor, but who's to say that this deal wasn't the only one out there for us?

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
im probably not the one to think that this trade meaning Radulov or Markov to Washington. This would be a huge upgrade whatever who you'll pick

9.24m in cap space to sign 5 skaters and 1 goalie. Unless Radulov signs for 2m/year, no, there's no way Washington can afford him.

The Instigator

Feb 6, 2010
The Caps are going to have a tough time iceing a decent lineup next season, and still have 4 spots to fill (3F-1D). Washington might have to fill out the 3rd and 4th lines with AHLers next season.

Line 1 LW Ovechkin C Backstrom RW Oshie
Line 2 LW Burakovsky C Kuznetsov RW ?
Line 3 LW ? C Eller RW Wilson
Line 4 LW ? C Beagle RW Connolly

1st D-Pair LD Orlov RD Carlson
2nd D-Pair LD ? RD Niskanen
3rd D-Pair LD Orpik RD Chorney

Goalie's:
Starter: Holtby
Backup: Grubauer

Scratched List
C Graovac
RW Peluso
C Stephenson
RW Vrana
Jakub Vrana will probably be full time next season, with potentially Riley Barber on the squad as well. It's probably not the most sexy option but giving those guys a chance is something we haven't done yet.

If playing Pittsburgh year in and year out has shown anything, it's that you don't succeed without giving opportunities to guys in the pipeline.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
These are the kinds of posts that are really stupid. You don't know that at all.

I agree that the valuation on MoJo is poor, but who's to say that this deal wasn't the only one out there for us?

Wow. You really think the Capitals could've done worse than a 2nd and a 3rd? Even if they could, I GUARANTEE you that a non-divisional team would be willing to offer that same package.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016

Washington only has $9,239,893 to fill 3 forward spots and 1 defensive spot.

If the Caps sign Radulov or Markov that takes most of the 9+mil that's left.
Not counting the 13th and 14th forwards and 7th defensemen.

Burakovsky is going to take away some of that 9+mil also, so unless the Caps move another player over 4mil, I don't see Washington signing a high priced Free Agent like Radulov, Vanek or even Markov.

If Brian MacLellan can trade Orpik then it would open up a lot of possibilities, until then the Caps are cash strapped.

Washington might be forced to only carrying 12F-6D-2G, and IR or LTIR anyone that gets injured to recall anyone from Hershey.

The Instigator

Feb 6, 2010
Wow. You really think the Capitals could've done worse than a 2nd and a 3rd? Even if they could, I GUARANTEE you that a non-divisional team would be willing to offer that same package.
Potentially, but I'm not going to get in an argument with you about it when you clearly think you know more about the situation than an NHL general manager.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Potentially, but I'm not going to get in an argument with you about it when you clearly think you know more about the situation than an NHL general manager.

Dude. This was a horrible trade for the Capitals. Don't get me wrong. I see what you're saying, but this is not a good trade by any means. It seems like a knee-jerk trade.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Shero on adding more: "Maybe. We have lots of cap space, picks, so there's still a lot of stuff we can do. I think we're in a good spot"

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Yeah they're still a good team but I don't think they're a 1st overall team anymore, we all knew this was gonna happen a couple years ago though right?

Their main window was the last two years. We knew that Kuznetsov would need a new contract this summer and that Alzner and Williams would walk plus they'd have to make some salary trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad