Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Tom Wilson signs extension with the Capitals (7 years, $6.5M AAV)

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I actually thought this was a joke post, but then saw it was 16 pages long. I had no idea Wilson carried that kind of value for what he brings or even brought to the Caps. Genuinely surprised at both the length and the amount.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
He does a bit of a disappearing act when he isn't finding his chances to be physical.

However, I think he still has a career year in him. Skilled player, and I think he can lean into that more, with good coaching.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
It's like the James Neal contract... just longer and for more money.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
It's like the James Neal contract... just longer and for more money.
Except Neal had 2 seasons of PPG+ under his belt before his last 5.75M deal. He also averaged over 50p+ career/82 as Wilson is way worse producing points. If Hitting is all that matters, then the contracts are ok...

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Might be a hot take in some eyes but I think Wilson is a decent hockey player even without his pest-antics.

He is 29 right now, in 5 years he'll be 34. If he eats and trains well he can still be a useful player then, definitely not unthinkable for an athlete in the 2020s. Who cares about the last year or two - the Capitals will very likely not be in cap trouble by then.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
now, do you think that there is a difference between wanting to acquire a rental and giving an oft-injured aging power forward a 7 year big $$ contract?
Lucic 2.0. Surprised he made so much even on his previous contract. His numbers are not that great. Only one 50 point season.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Dunno. He's a useful player, true. But the guy will turn 30 next season, and he's signed for the next 8 years. This contract will be impossible to move if he becomes a 4th liner in 2 or 3 years, which isn't even that unlikely.
Woof. Very unlikely, I'd say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad