Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Tom Wilson signs extension with the Capitals (7 years, $6.5M AAV)

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Like I said, 100% agree with you. But, well, there's the argument. You gave a much better rebuttal than I could've though, thx for that =D
Oh I know you were doing the Devil's Advocate thing, I just thought I'd bring both guns anyway because it's the stupidest Caps-related thing I've seen lately.

To be fair there was a blowout win against Boston where Washington had plentiful PPs and left Ovechkin out for the full duration to chase goals. It is a factor.
They do that anyway, pretty much always have in the Forsythe era of PP coaching. The powerplay very rarely gets disrupted, ever, because reps and execution are better in games than practice.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Choo choo here come that money train, ah ya get paid you overrated f***. Go full Lucic, do it, history thy shalt repeat thyself! By the powers of David Clarkson and Bobby Holik, may this man stay effective going into his 30s! Ye!
Are you ok?

You’re saying the Caps would’ve traded Wilson and retained 50% salary? Is that a joke?
I think they are saying if the Caps wanted to move WIlson after this signing there would not be much interest without retention. And I agree

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Are you ok?

I think they are saying if the Caps wanted to move WIlson after this signing there would not be much interest without retention. And I agree
Depends, signing bonus structure in the last few years could make him a potentially viable target in cap dump teams. I'm not 100% on how all that works but if the Caps were to pay his signing bonus in the second to last year and then trade him to a team that needs cap hit over paid salary it should still work out positive for them.

actually I don't even know what those bonuses might be, I was told signing but it could be something else we don't know yet. If it's at all performance laden then that's an easy win

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Depends, signing bonus structure in the last few years could make him a potentially viable target in cap dump teams. I'm not 100% on how all that works but if the Caps were to pay his signing bonus in the second to last year and then trade him to a team that needs cap hit over paid salary it should still work out positive for them.

actually I don't even know what those bonuses might be, I was told signing but it could be something else we don't know yet. If it's at all performance laden then that's an easy win
Would need the perfect situation for that. Not something to count on

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I misinterpreted the post, while there’s truth to that it all just depends on the direction the Caps go and how he plays the contract out. It’s entirely too early to speculate that, if he continues to produce a cost controlled Wilson with a rising cap could still be a commodity for a contender

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
It was more impressive to see him claim that career .4ppg Tom Wilson has "similar production" to 5 years younger career .7ppg Pierre Luc Dobois. Holy cow the delusion is out of control.
Wilson has 0.66 points per game in the last five years. That's a more useful point of reference. Hell, in the last 3 years PLD has 0.72 points per game versus Wilson's 0.68. What a HUGE difference.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

They’re all signing bonuses. Wilson does not qualify for any other type of bonus clause such as a performance bonus.

Your hypothetical trade proposal would be $6.3m in cash for $13m AAV, a little over 2x. For teams simply looking to take contracts to hit the cap floor 5X+ ratio is the more expected rate. For example Weber is $23.5m AAV for $3m = 7.8X.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
They’re all signing bonuses. Wilson does not qualify for any other type of bonus clause such as a performance bonus.

Your hypothetical trade proposal would be $6.3m in cash for $13m AAV, a little over 2x. For teams simply looking to take contracts to hit the cap floor 5X+ ratio is the more expected rate. For example Weber is $23.5m AAV for $3m = 7.8X.
Alrighty, well never mind then

Thank you, contract king, because I actually needed that cleared up

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Initially I though the opposite, but seeing those last 2 years at 4.5 per as a SB. Yikes
Yeah, better we had signed him for $11.6M to have two, (2), Fk’ing 0+2 PTs in the Playoffs.

Edit: Fun Fact: Wilson absolutely pants’ed a guy in traffic who’s going to cost your team $34.8M over the next three seasons and, just for you, I’m predicting no notable playoff success (I mean you got sent home after 7 Games this season). Over this contract Wilson will cost the Capitals $45.5M for, at worst, the same level of overall championship success. Who wins? I get to watch Wilson run roughshod through your head (and that of your team) and you get a guy with a nice flow who appears content to collect a check and rest on the laurels of better players he played with once. Dems da breaks.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pld459666

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
You’re saying the Caps would’ve traded Wilson and retained 50% salary? Is that a joke?

No, I did not say that.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Is this really a guy you need to worry about locking up long-term at that kind of cap hit?

Seems like a weird move, especially since the Caps are kind of in no-mans land moving forward.

Reactions: Beau Knows

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
A lot of people seems to have crystal balls. Dude will be untradable, or injured, or not injured etc.

The truth is that only time will tell the value of this contract. That doesn't mean that it was a bad contract to hand out, with the motivation that TW is a fan favourite, cup-winning homegrown guy with captaincy material and a big profile. It makes sense from that perspective, the rest is just wild speculation.

Reactions: Neil Racki

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Wilson has 0.66 points per game in the last five years. That's a more useful point of reference. Hell, in the last 3 years PLD has 0.72 points per game versus Wilson's 0.68. What a HUGE difference.
Take age and injury history between both… I see Wilson drop off harder and sooner than PLD.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Probably doesn't age well but I can't see this goofball in any other jersey.

Congrats Caps fans, I assume you're happy?

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
A lot of people seems to have crystal balls. Dude will be untradable, or injured, or not injured etc.

The truth is that only time will tell the value of this contract. That doesn't mean that it was a bad contract to hand out, with the motivation that TW is a fan favourite, cup-winning homegrown guy with captaincy material and a big profile. It makes sense from that perspective, the rest is just wild speculation.

Exactly, and add in that if he wanted to test the free agency someone propably offers even more.

For a shorter contract like 4-5 years it might even go full 8 mills in free agency next year when the cap goes up almost 10 mills and dozens of teams have that opening.

It was what both sides wanted. Long term commitment.

Most GMs are not really worried about the years 4-7 of these kind of contracts anyways. If you are still there to worry about the backslash, you have propably done your job well. And theres always the LTIR loophole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad