Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Tom Wilson signs extension with the Capitals (7 years, $6.5M AAV)

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I mean has the guy had a season yet that he’s worth that money?
You familiar at all with the 2018 Season or Playoffs? Some good things there I’d suggest you’d study up on.

Also you might want to study up on what $6.5M buys you in todays NHL. I’d venture I can find a worse contract than this today on all 31 other NHL teams and probably in under 30 seconds.

I agree, but I won't be surprised if Tom Wilson out-performs his cap hit for the next 2 or 3 years before tapering off.
This is certainly not based on historical precedent of these two players.

It’s also almost a certainty that Pierre-Luc Dubois will never JUSTIFY, let alone OUT-PERFORM his contract.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Will also be brutal when he gets suspended for half of the season one of these years.

Just a matter of time.
He’s on record that he won’t play against the Blues in pre-season ever again so that reduces the likelihood of a lengthy suspension considerably. You’re welcome.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You familiar at all with the 2018 Season or Playoffs? Some good things there I’d suggest you’d study up on.

Also you might want to study up on what $6.5M buys you in todays NHL. I’d venture I can find a worse contract than this today on all 31 other NHL teams and probably in under 30 seconds.

This is certainly not based on historical precedent of these two players.

It’s also almost a certainty that Pierre-Luc Dubois will never JUSTIFY, let alone OUT-PERFORM his contract.
If you have to go that far back then I don’t know what to say. You’ve said it for me

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
If you have to go that far back then I don’t know what to say. You’ve said it for me
You asked if Tom Wilson had a single season where he was worth that kind of money. In 2018 the name Tom Wilson was etched on the Stanley Cup after a playoff where he had 15PTs in 21GMs. Yeah Tom Wilson is easily worth every contract the Capitals have ever given him. You not knowing or understanding that is not someone else’s problem.

You’re an Oliers fan. Seriously? Have McDavid or Draisaitl ever had a season where they’ve made $5.5M and won a Stanley Cup? Who’s worth what now? I suppose worth is relative. I’d pay the $5.5 for a Cup over the $12.5M or $8.5M for a bunch of regular season awards but maybe that’s just me.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
You asked if Tom Wilson had a single season where he was worth that kind of money. In 2018 the name Tom Wilson was etched on the Stanley Cup after a playoff where he had 15PTs in 21GMs. Yeah Tom Wilson is easily worth every contract the Capitals have ever given him. You not knowing or understanding that is not someone else’s problem.

You’re an Oliers fan. Seriously? Have McDavid or Draisaitl ever had a season where they’ve made $5.5M and won a Stanley Cup? Who’s worth what now? I suppose worth is relative. I’d pay the $5.5 for a Cup over the $12.5M or $8.5M for a bunch of regular season awards but maybe that’s just me.
This has got to be the dumbest posts in this thread bar none.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
This has got to be the dumbest posts in this thread bar none.
Uh oh, the Oiler fans feelings are hurt.

If you don’t think Tom Wilson was worth $2.0-5.2 (what he was getting paid then) or $6.5M (what he will be paid now) in 2018 when he was a huge part of the Capitals winning the Cup (again the premise that was being passed), then your opinion can be summarily dismissed. This point is not arguable.

The simple fact is this; that poster asked if Wilson was ever worth what he’s about to be paid. As an Oilers fan who has not seen their team win in over thirty years you seem to be saying Wilson isn’t worth what he’s being paid. I can tell you I was there, I watched it, and Wilson was every bit worth the money he was/is being paid.

I’ll make it easier for you so as to not provoke your fragile sensibilities. When the Capitals won the Cup Wilson made $2M and got paid $5.2M after winning the Cup but the distinction is academic. Zach Hyman, Evander Kane, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Jack Campbell all made roughly $5M to NOT WIN A STANLEY CUP for Edmonton THIS SEASON. Was Wilson’s 2018 season worth that much? Was it possibly worth the $6.5M he’s about to be paid. I’d venture yes, but again I’d suppose that’s not for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

well now that just seems silly!

id never take Tom Wilson over Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl

Wilson could be making 950k and i wouldnt do it!!

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
well now that just seems silly!

id never take Tom Wilson over Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl

Wilson could be making 950k and i wouldnt do it!!
Way to miss the point I suppose. The assertion was that Tom Wilson was never worth being paid $5M - $6.5M. I can assure you, as I said, that Wilson has easily been worth his contract in the past and I see no reason he can’t be worth it in the future. Did he have a single season where he was worth $6.5M, yeah I’d say pretty confidently he did.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Uh oh, the Oiler fans feelings are hurt.

If you don’t think Tom Wilson was worth $2.0-5.2 (what he was getting paid then) or $6.5M (what he will be paid now) in 2018 when he was a huge part of the Capitals winning the Cup (again the premise that was being passed), then your opinion can be summarily dismissed. This point is not arguable.

The simple fact is this; that poster asked if Wilson was ever worth what he’s about to be paid. As an Oilers fan who has not seen their team win in over thirty years you seem to be saying Wilson isn’t worth what he’s being paid. I can tell you I was there, I watched it, and Wilson was every bit worth the money he was/is being paid.

I’ll make it easier for you so as to not provoke your fragile sensibilities. When the Capitals won the Cup Wilson made $2M and got paid $5.2M after winning the Cup but the distinction is academic. Zach Hyman, Evander Kane, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Jack Campbell all made roughly $5M to NOT WIN A STANLEY CUP for Edmonton THIS SEASON. Was Wilson’s 2018 season worth that much? Was it possibly worth the $6.5M he’s about to be paid. I’d venture yes, but again I’d suppose that’s not for everyone.
Yes the guy who wrote a single sentence feelings are hurt not the guy who has to reply to every post condemning this contract with multiple paragraphs lol.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Yes the guy who wrote a single sentence feelings are hurt not the guy who has to reply to every post condemning this contract with multiple paragraphs lol.
If I were an Oilers fan I think I’d hope for my team to get their house in order before I start questioning decent contracts given out to proven Top 6 performers and winners (when it matters) but again I understand that’s not for everyone.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
If I were an Oilers fan I think I’d hope for my team to get their house in order before I start questioning decent contracts given out to proven Top 6 performers and winners (when it matters) but again I understand that’s not for everyone.
Oh there you go again getting in your feelings.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida

Well, they signed Zach Hyman who makes $1mil less per year than Wilson now does and just scored more points last season than Wilson has in his last 2 combined. Seems pretty good to me.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Well, they signed Zach Hyman who makes $1mil less per year than Wilson now does and just scored more points last season than Wilson has in his last 2 combined. Seems pretty good to me.
Zach Hyman is 31. I wonder if he just magically became an 83PT player and if it’s sustainable? Also given the two teams he’s played for and the relative success they’ve both had, Hyman is a particularly poor example. Is that $1M less they’re paying him going to win them a Cup? I guess they can cross their fingers and close their eyes.

Holy f*** a few posters in here are unhinged ahahahaha. Like dude relax Tommy Willy isnt going to top you off no matter how much you glaze him in here.
Your comment is that special (though not rare, unique, nor funny) combination of stupid and disgusting. Go top yourself off.

Reactions: Voight

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Zach Hyman is 31. I wonder if he just magically became an 83PT player and if it’s sustainable? Also given the two teams he’s played for and the relative success they’ve both had, Hyman is a particularly poor example. Is that $1M less they’re paying him going to win them a Cup? I guess they can cross their fingers and close their eyes.

Your comment is that special (though not rare, unique, nor funny) combination of stupid and disgusting. Go top yourself off.
imagine being this mad on HF boards . com

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Good on them for keeping him. That contract will be brutal though and anchor him to a rebuilder.

He got his cup so I think Wilson just wanted more financial security.

He's part of their identity as a club and will be even more so when Ovi retires. The length might not make sense on the ice years from now but off it and in the business of the organization it's got a logic to it.

Probably the next guy to wear the C when Ovy hangs em up.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Easily the worst contract I've ever seen. Even worse is that the only person who benefits from this is somebody who shouldn't even be allowed in the NHL and only exists to permanently injure opposing players.

You a Rags fan by chance?

When hes 31?

at 6.5M AAV?

Odd people deciding 29 is old and 6.5M is a cap killer.

Easy to hate, easy to root for.

We'll see. I imagine if we still suck in 2-3 years (and theres few reasons to think otherwise), he gets flipped at the deadline for a nice haul.

Seriously. $6.5mil/year isn't really that bad, cap will be going up a lot going forward.

Reactions: Neil Racki

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I’m not seeing what the big deal is. The Caps have maybe 3 decent years left and Wilson has a pretty reasonable cap hit for what he brings. After 3 years it’s going to be some dark times so you might as well make the best of these next 3 years.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
imagine being this mad on HF boards . com

Holy f*** a few posters in here are unhinged ahahahaha. Like dude relax Tommy Willy isnt going to top you off no matter how much you glaze him in here.

Imagine being this pathetic (^) anywhere.

Your projection is as weak as any of your comments. It’d be sad if it wasn’t so stupid.

• Haha

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Dunno. He's a useful player, true. But the guy will turn 30 next season, and he's signed for the next 8 years. This contract will be impossible to move if he becomes a 4th liner in 2 or 3 years, which isn't even that unlikely.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Worth every penny. So glad to have him as the next captain.

Great leader, in dressing room, stands up for teammates, ultra physical, fast, plays special teams and in all situations and is a unique player

Heard similar from other teams fans when he signed last contract. Wilson has been in the heads of other teams fans, players and management since he entered the league.

“Wilson…Wilson…Wilson” (urinatingtree voice)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad