Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Evgeny Kuznetsov re-signs (8 years, $7.8M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
That's a lot of guap for a guy who went from being nearly a ppg player last year to a 60 point player this year. Not to mention that he has been trash in the playoffs.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Thought he looked a lot better in the playoffs this year, but yeah that is a lot of money. Still they do have a loaded top 6

Ovi-Backstrom-Oshie
MoJo-Kuzey-Burakosky

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
20 players managed to have PPG season (with min. 41 points) in last 4 seasons. Only 8 of them managed to have 2 or more PPG seasons. Only Crosby, Malkin and P.Kane managed to have PPG in each season.

Scoring is not what it used to be. PPG season is quite a feat right now.

This past season had 7 above PPG who played over 70 games and then Malkin who had 72 in 62.

Last season had 4 over PPG with 70+ games

It is not as easy as once was but still for someone with 20 goals as a career high without any PPG seasons and coming off 59 point season is high cost. This contract is very risky.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Loaded top six or not, so many players think only about money and not about team. A simple 2 MIL less could make a big difference from one of the top players.

I get why they do it though. Nothing certain, cash out while they can stuff. Nhlpa probably pressures them, but then it screws the little guys so I'm not sure.

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie
Johansson-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Vrana-Eller-Connolly
Graovac-Beagle-Barber

Orlov-Niskanen
Orpik-Carlson
Djoos-Chorney

Holtby
Copley

Ouch, that depth, holy hell. This lineup is a shell of last year's lineup. This team with 20 skaters has $1.175 million in cap space, so they can't even afford to run with a 23 man roster.

Not sure this lineup is accurate, however, the Caps can still lose in the second round with the lineup.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I'm looking up and down the Caps roster and something has to give, right?

They simply don't have enough left to keep everyone unless there's something I'm missing. Are they eligible for the second buyout window to get rid of Orpik? If they keep this up, Grubauer or Burakovsky is going to get offer-sheeted.

I'm looking at their roster, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of easy places to cut fat. Ovechkin is a non-starter. Same for Holtby. Kuznetsov, Orlov, and Oshie just re-signed so they seem like unlikely targets. Wilson, Beagle, Connolly, and Chorney are too cheap to make a big dent. Niskanen, Johnansson, and Carlsson seem too important.

Who does that leave to trade? A buyout of Orpik is almost inevitable if allowed, but that still doesn't leave a lot of room. If they can re-sign Grubs for under 1.5M I'd be shocked. Bukarovski is going to get 2.5M-3.5M at least. That still leaves them around 4-5 players short and capped out.

If they don't find a dumping ground for Orpik, what are their options? Dumping Eller for nothing probably doesn't fix the situation either.

Could get very interesting.

Edit: Mo Jo gone. there it is.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Loaded top six or not, so many players think only about money and not about team. A simple 2 MIL less could make a big difference from one of the top players.

I get why they do it though. Nothing certain, cash out while they can stuff. Nhlpa probably pressures them, but then it screws the little guys so I'm not sure.

Yea, no big deal giving up 2 million. Everyone really needs to read Avery's article for the players tribune where he talks about how much players actually end up with after each season.

Salary is almost halved by taxes depending on where you live. In NYC for example it is 50% and possibly even more depending on where they live. Then you also pay into escrow which is more than 15% of their gross. Then they pay agents/managers/lawyers etc another 10-20%. So at the end of the day a guy who is getting paid 6 million per year is probably taking home around 1-2 million per year net. That has to last them for the rest of their lives. It's certainly doable, but it doesn't make giving up 2 million smart or easy.

Again, they are certainly making a lot of money, but when these guys are retiring, most people are really starting to move up in their careers. It's a massive difference in lifestyle and one that takes significantly more assets to live on in the future. These players should be taking every dollar they can. It's up to the teams to show restraint.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
This past season had 7 above PPG who played over 70 games and then Malkin who had 72 in 62.

Last season had 4 over PPG with 70+ games

It is not as easy as once was but still for someone with 20 goals as a career high without any PPG seasons and coming off 59 point season is high cost. This contract is very risky.

20 players, not ppg seasons:
3 players (Crosby, Malkin, P.Kane) having ppg season each year (3x4 = 12)
1 player (Seguin) having ppg season 3 times (1x3 = 3)
4 players (McDavid, Benn, Tavares, Ovechkin) having ppg season 2 times (4x2 = 8)
12 players (Backstrom, Datsyuk, Getzlaf, Giroux, Hall, Kucherov, Marchand, Neal, Perry, Scheifele, Thornton, Zetterberg) having just one ppg season (12x1 = 12)

Total of 35 ppg seasons in last 4 years.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
no, numbers that aren't even real yet aren't doing a thing.

The Toews and Kane contracts did this. They had some cups under their belt, and they negotiated together in the same offseason just to destroy any leverage Bowman had. Now players are looking at Kane and Toews not as money for what they achieved in the past, but for what they can produce today.

The McDavid numbers are the driving factor -- Bob McKenzie explained this.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Is the next lockout before Laine's next contract?

Why does what a player make have anything to do with the cap now, owners still get 50%, so how teams spend their money is irrelevant. The cap is set, if teams want to spend all their cap on 10 players so be it, the fans will deal with it, no requirement for a lock out, 50% is 50%. Are we of the belief that we need a cap on individual salaries, never going to happen.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That Connolly contract looks even better now. :laugh:

8 contracts over 5m. I don't think we need to worry about what Washington will be doing over the next couple of seasons. :laugh:

Reactions: GoCaps2004
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad