Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Evgeny Kuznetsov re-signs (8 years, $7.8M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I am absolutely aware of that. People thought that the Leafs would have an issue with Phaneuf's salary. He had a NMC. He's gone. People thought Lupul's salary would be a problem. That has also been taken care of.

1 or 2 year contracts are easy to move. If the contract is that bad, you throw on a 3rd round pick and a cap floor team will take it. I also think Marleau would be on board to a Lupul year if it came to that. Don't want to taint that Hall of Fame legacy.

However, an 8 year deal is not easy at all. He's going to be here for 5-6 years easy. How many of those years do you think he'll be one of the top 16 players in the NHL? I will guarantee you that it won't be all of them. And how many of those 8 years do you think you'll look at his contract and say "man, that contract was a steal this year"? I think it will be 0. At best I think you'll have a few years where you say "he was accurately paid". And that's not the kind of contract you want to be giving out. Especially when you're eating up some RFA years there

He ranks 7th in ES scoring through the last 2 seasons and is combined +45 (tied for 2nd) in those years, only 1 behind league leader in Ryan McDonagh. In overall points in the last 2 seasons, he's tied for 18th. This season he is going to get PP 1 minutes with the big guys finally now that Johansson is moved which will only increase his role and likely his production aswell.

As mentioned, this deal ate just 1 RFA year. 7 of these are UFA years.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
He ranks 7th in ES scoring through the last 2 seasons and is combined +45 (tied for 2nd) in those years, only 1 behind league leader in Ryan McDonagh. In overall points in the last 2 seasons, he's tied for 18th. This season he is going to get PP 1 minutes with the big guys finally now that Johansson is moved which will only increase his role and likely his production aswell.

As mentioned, this deal ate just 1 RFA year. 7 of these are UFA years.

Aren't 2 of those years RFA? I thought UFA status hits when you've either played 7 years in the NHL or hit 27. He's played 4 years in the NHL, but is 25 as of May 19th. So wouldn't he have 2 seasons?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Obviously an 8 year, big money deal carries a lot of risk. With that being said, he's a very good player, worth $7.8 mil/year in today's NHL, and fairly young. If he stays healthy, and doesn't drop off significantly in the second half of this deal, then it works out just fine. Like any long deal, injuries could turn this into an albatross contract, but I think it's a risk worth taking for the Caps.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
being paid more than tarasenko after only 1 single great season is pretty stupid/weak on the capitals part.

i doubt he would have got this in ufa or in arbitration. i shed no tears for this team as they lose good players for no return because contracts like this screw up the pay grade for everyone

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Aren't 2 of those years RFA? I thought UFA status hits when you've either played 7 years in the NHL or hit 27. He's played 4 years in the NHL, but is 25 as of May 19th. So wouldn't he have 2 seasons?

you are correct he would be rfa this year and next... team could have taken him to arbitration where i estimate he wouldnt get more than around 6.5 using parinin or gradeau as compables

then let him hit ufa at 27. even if he scores 160 points in next 2 years he isnt likely to get more than 8 as an ufa. no one gets more than 8

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
you are correct he would be rfa this year and next... team could have taken him to arbitration where i estimate he wouldnt get more than around 6.5 using parinin or gradeau as compables

then let him hit ufa at 27. even if he scores 160 points in next 2 years he isnt likely to get more than 8 as an ufa. no one gets more than 8

They could not have taken him to arbitration, he would have signed in the KHL instead. GMBM confirmed that Kuznetsov had KHL offers they had to match. Unlike Kucherov last year, Kuznetsov said he would take the KHL money if contract negotiations dragged on.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

No one gets more than 8 in free agency because no one deserving of more than 8 becomes a free agent.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
being paid more than tarasenko after only 1 single great season is pretty stupid/weak on the capitals part.

i doubt he would have got this in ufa or in arbitration. i shed no tears for this team as they lose good players for no return because contracts like this screw up the pay grade for everyone

Tarasenko's contract was a much higher % of the cap when signed

Kuznetsov had 2 great seasons

Kuznetsov put up more points than Tarasenko before they each got the big contract. He also took a bridge unlike Tarasenko

So much stupid as always :shakeshead:

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Tarasenko's contract was a much higher % of the cap when signed

Kuznetsov had 2 great seasons

Kuznetsov put up more points than Tarasenko before they each got the big contract. He also took a bridge unlike Tarasenko

So much stupid as always :shakeshead:

Uhhh nope.

When Tarasenko signed his contract the salary cap had been set to 71.4m. Tarasenko's contract accounted for 10.5% of it.

The cap now is 75m, and Kuznetsov's contract accounts for 10.4% it.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I don't think this is a terrible deal.. It really has the capitals in a terrible cap situation though.. Not a fan of some of the re-signings they have done, though I guess they had little choice

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Uhhh nope.

When Tarasenko signed his contract the salary cap had been set to 71.4m. Tarasenko's contract accounted for 10.5% of it.

The cap now is 75m, and Kuznetsov's contract accounts for 10.4% it.

Thanks for doing the math.

It seems like a lot of fans have a hard time understanding this concept. I'm not saying that Tarasenko and Kuznetsov deserve the same salary (though I think an argument could be made to support that), but a lot of people are saying it is ridiculous that Tarasenko makes less than Kuznetsov (or that Backstrom does, as another example). But when you look at percentage of the cap, you can see why he does. If Tarasenko signed now, he'd get the same salary as Kuznetsov (based on percentages). I think most players, agents, GMs, etc. get this concept and they don't look at comparables based on salary any longer (like they used to). Instead, they look at cap percentages.

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
Seems fair if he can be close to a ppg guy. Why'd his numbers dip to 59 points this year? His playoffs leave a lot to be desired too. Although caps have no choice $8M is a lot for him. I don't think he's better than Tarasenko who makes less.

this! and the other issue i have is that Radulov today signed for 2mil less. what are these GMs thinking? man, it's almost like everyone of them except few are going bonkers

Nucks N Canes

Jun 22, 2011
this! and the other issue i have is that Radulov today signed for 2mil less. what are these GMs thinking? man, it's almost like everyone of them except few are going bonkers

1.55 M less, Radulov is five years older and plays a less valuable position. Radulov has also had his commitment questioned a few times.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If Kuznetsov put just 60 points per season... that a bad contract. Yeah 60 points is great, but 7,8 millions? really hahaha.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I think the money is about right. I'm just not so sure about the player. I'm not so sure how good Kuznetsov is. But the Caps know him best so they must believe he is pretty darn good.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Johansen can't use the KHL and the Olympics as leverage like Kuzy did. He'll get less, even though he's statistically comparable to Kuznetsov.

GMBM had his hands tied behind his back by Kuzy and SKA.

I'm sorry but thats not a valid answer. If thats your answer then your GM is awful.

Why doesn't every NHL player say that they're leaving for the KHL so that they can cash in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad