Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals sign Zdeno Chara (1 year, $795k + $730k in Performance Bonuses)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Despite the endless hate he gets Carlson is the best D on both teams right now (hopefully becomes a little more obvious with an experienced head coach), and Orlov is the 3rd best after Carlson and Letang. Capitals pairings are also designed to compliment each other in the same way they did during the cup year.

As promising as Pettersson and Marino are they're very green at this point and I wouldn't be surprised if they buckle especially when the playoffs roll around. Schultz and Dillon being vets slotted in for roles they've been playing for a long time may have the edge.

Finally Capitals 3rd pairing of Chara-Jensen has an edge on pretty much any 3rd pairing in the league and should be able to play dependable minutes. Chara is not what he once was but he's still a 4-5 with more intangibles than any D in the league.
Ita going to be a tough year for.Chara with the condensed schedule. I think you are vastly over rating his ability at this point in his career. He was completely over matched by the speed of playoff hockey

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ita going to be a tough year for.Chara with the condensed schedule. I think you are vastly over rating his ability at this point in his career. He was completely over matched by the speed of playoff hockey

Vastly? I would say 5 6 rather than 4 5 but thats not vast. The Caps have a background with Brooks Orpik who is a Chara style player.

The schedule is an issue only if the Caps force Chara to play all those back to backs. They have Siegenthaler and have no need to force that issue

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Vastly? I would say 5 6 rather than 4 5 but thats not vast. The Caps have a background with Brooks Orpik who is a Chara style player.

The schedule is an issue only if the Caps force Chara to play all those back to backs. They have Siegenthaler and have no need to force that issue
Thats my point. You are penciling him in on the 3rd pairing and he will be lucky to play in 60% of the games this season.

And he will be a train wreck in the post season

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Thats my point. You are penciling him in on the 3rd pairing and he will be lucky to play in 60% of the games this season.

And he will be a train wreck in the post season

We will see eh? 60% is harsh. A train wreck is as well. Did you think Orpik was a trainwreck?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Orpik was good during that stanley cup run but I thought I remember some of their fans not happy with him at first. Maybe I'm wrong.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I dont care about Orpik. WTF does Orpik have to do with Chara?

The role for Chara will be the same as what Orpik did. Orpik was slow. He played a big game. He created fear. The Caps dont need him to be John Carlson or Chris Pronger. Just Brooks Orpik.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orpik was good during that stanley cup run but I thought I remember some of their fans not happy with him at first. Maybe I'm wrong.

Many Caps fans didnt want Orpik and didnt understand what he meant to the team. The cup run made that clear. Now that he is retired his culture role and leadership became more clear.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The role for Chara will be the same as what Orpik did. Orpik was slow. He played a big game. He created fear. The Caps dont need him to be John Carlson or Chris Pronger. Just Brooks Orpik.

Orpik could still make passes fairly consistently
while Chara's passing is pretty much shot.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
They arent the same player though, so it's irrelevant. Also, trust me, no one feared Chara. All they had to do was skate around him

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Wow...Boston thinks he can't play anymore. He can't. So the Caps after wasting the last two years bring the 44 year old pylon to help on defense who wouldn't come unless he was promised a big role.

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Might as well just feed Ovi all game and go for Gretzkys record. You aren't winning many games.

Hilarious.
I know. Totally. Cant believe they also have him that huge guaranteed salary to boot! Idiots. Sad to think they are paying him all coin (and wasted salary space) when they have so little depth on D.

Tragic, really.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I know. Totally. Cant believe they also have him that huge guaranteed salary to boot! Idiots. Sad to think they are paying him all coin (and wasted salary space) when they have so little depth on D.

Tragic, really.
It is very telling though looking at Boston left side on D and knowing they still didny want him

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sure, just dont tell me Chara is feared and is going to be skating every night

If he doesnt play hard, then he wont play. I have confidence that he will. I think I was pretty clear that he would get nights off for some back to backs. Big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad