Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals sign Zdeno Chara (1 year, $795k + $730k in Performance Bonuses)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I still find it bizarre that the B's couldn't find a spot for him. It's not like they are loaded with talent in the back end. I would totally get it if he stood in the way of some good young Dmen coming up, or was demanding a lot of money.

Bruins have done a pretty good job over the past 15 years at idenfying young talent on the backend. They feel like it's time for Zboril, Vaak, Lauzon, and Grzelcyk to get their chance to prove themselves.

I love Chara and what he's meant, but that same drive to excel and be great is also what is clouding his judgement here. He feels like he can still be on the top pairing but it was painfully obvious that age has fully caught up to him and his game. He's still elite in with keeping gaps with that reach and in small spaces that require physicality ( in front of the net, board battles, scrums ) but ask him to skate for or with the puck, and he is woefully exposed.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Yeah...that guy that was their captain...that guy that won multiple cups with them and took cheap deals to make it work for them.

Chara should have been "straight up" and asked for all his money up front instead of deferred bonuses.

he took deferred bonuses on this deal with Washington. What are you even talking about.

Boston offered him the same money and told him he would split time with younger players. He didn’t want too and moved on. That’s called being straight forward. What would have been gutless would have been to tell him he’d have the same roll and then start benching him with out warning.

Reactions: wintersej

varano

Jun 27, 2013
he took deferred bonuses on this deal with Washington. What are you even talking about.

Boston offered him the same money and told him he would split time with younger players. He didn’t want too and moved on. That’s called being straight forward. What would have been gutless would have been to tell him he’d have the same roll and then start benching him with out warning.
Get some knowledge man. Look up his last deal with the Bruins. If you don't know you don't know, but don't tell me I don't know what I'm saying

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Get some knowledge man. Look up his last deal with the Bruins. If you don't know you don't know, but don't tell me I don't know what I'm saying

10.5 million dollars between his 41 and 42 year seasons with full NMC’s.

How dare they.

They gave him easily obtainable bonus money to keep that years cap hit down since they were up against the cap and the bonuses roll over because it's an over 35 contract. It's almost like you are making things up because you hate the Bruins.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
what? I don’t even .....

so much wrong here. Nothing is right. Not one comment.

pens top 4D is better? How? Their top
6? What?

as everyone has stated here, Chara won’t play w Schultz.
This isn't hard ... pens top 4 D , letang dumo, petterson and Marino are currently better than what the caps have.... the top 6 especially at C are better... zucker Jake Kapanen rust all Capable of 20 plus and Jake maybe 45 in a good year... caps are deeper in bottom 6 and that will come in handy come playoff time but won't win them a awful lot more games in the reg season.
As for chara not playing with Shultz this is ridiculous... stupid... that completely proves my point.. that clearly means one of the 2 plays on the second pairing!!!! And you think by that then that the caps top 4 ( 2 pairs) are better than pitt??? So what is it ??? Point proved ... chances are Shultz gets hurt or chara sits , kinda like you know Boston wanted....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lol that's not the argument but okay.

Guy was saying the Bruins never offered him a contract. That was false.

I guess the Bruins are gutless for being straight up with a player.

There are contract offers and then there are contract offers meant to be rejected. I am confident that the Bruins were aware Chara expected to play and had no interest in signing on for a VIP spot in the nacho line.

Its playing word games. They didnt want him to play for them. Chara is going to play for the Caps. The Caps are going to play the Bruins a lot. It has the real capacity to be ugly, considering how well the Bruins do against the Capitals generally speaking.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This isn't hard ... pens top 4 D , letang dumo, petterson and Marino are currently better than what the caps have.... the top 6 especially at C are better... zucker Jake Kapanen rust all Capable of 20 plus and Jake maybe 45 in a good year... caps are deeper in bottom 6 and that will come in handy come playoff time but won't win them a awful lot more games in the reg season.
As for chara not playing with Shultz this is ridiculous... stupid... that completely proves my point.. that clearly means one of the 2 plays on the second pairing!!!! And you think by that then that the caps top 4 ( 2 pairs) are better than pitt??? So what is it ??? Point proved ... chances are Shultz gets hurt or chara sits , kinda like you know Boston wanted....

Lets talk after 20 games. Happy New Year.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Sorry. You think that's a joke?
It is hilarious that a long time member and face of the franchize type of guy of the Bruins is now a Capital giving the Caps a lot of the flair and taking it away from the Bruins.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
varano said:

Basically what he is saying is he does not know what he is saying and he keeps saying what he does not know.

I thought it was proven a few days ago this was a mutual split. Yet some ppl still are lagging or stuck on the first few pages.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I still find it bizarre that the B's couldn't find a spot for him. It's not like they are loaded with talent in the back end. I would totally get it if he stood in the way of some good young Dmen coming up, or was demanding a lot of money.

Actually that is exactly why he was told he would sit and play a lesser role because of the young guys coming up and needing ice time.
Lauzon, Zboril and Vaakanainen to go with Carlo, McAvoy and Grezlcyk. Bruins have drafted pretty good for the defense position.

down the line Jack Ahcan, Mason Lohrei and Cooper Zech

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Actually that is exactly why he was told he would sit and play a lesser role because of the young guys coming up and needing ice time.
Lauzon, Zboril and Vaakanainen to go with Carlo, McAvoy and Grezlcyk. Bruins have drafted pretty good for the defense position.

down the line Jack Ahcan, Mason Lohrei and Cooper Zech
exactly, and they need to make decisions on those guys for expansion draft and who to keep going forward. Chara and the Bruins have been pretty transparent about why he left, not sure why people in this thread continue to struggle with it.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
exactly, and they need to make decisions on those guys for expansion draft and who to keep going forward. Chara and the Bruins have been pretty transparent about why he left, not sure why people in this thread continue to struggle with it.

They avoided the facts that both Chara himself and Sweeney explained it was all upfront and mutual and in a rather expedited fashion to be transparent. Alas we still see the nonsense thrives, there is nothing to see.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

no man. Caps top 6 isn’t worse. I’m not going to go man by man, but I don’t need to. Ovy, Kuz, Wilson, Vrana, Backs, Oshie. Stop.

Carlson, Orlov, Dillon, Schultz/Chara. I’d take all 5 of those over the Pens top 4. Carlson over Letang. Orlov over whomever you want as your 2. Dillon over same argument at 3. Your 4 is debatable, over whomever you want to take as the Caps 4th. I’m not buying your arguments at all.

and yeah. Caps are deeper. And heavier. And stronger.

so let’s not get into it.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah...that guy that was their captain...that guy that won multiple cups with them and took cheap deals to make it work for them.

Chara should have been "straight up" and asked for all his money up front instead of deferred bonuses.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Lol, Caps have 8D, they can still play 6 NHL defensemen with Carlson, Orlov, Dillon, Jensen, Siegenthaler, and van Riemsdyk and never use either of the players you think is making your point for you.

And good luck arguing those forwards.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Zdeno signed with WAS and rolled the dice. He was not guaranteed any ice time or minutes like he was in BOS.

Apparantly CHARA thinks he has more in the tank than accepting a limited role with the Bruins, we shall see.

I think he will come out motivated but will not be able to keep up to today’s game especially with WAS who is an offensive team first mentality.

Im thinking after the first 15 games you will see Zdeno being scratched as an extra quite often.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
As a Pens fan, I understand WAS signing Chara. I don’t like Chara and Dillon being on two separate pairings as they are probably two of the prime examples of players that consistently get beat wide offensively by speed.

The other thing that really sinks the Caps D for me is Schultz. Dude was worse than JJ the past two years, granted significant injuries, but I do not see him suddenly reverting to PIT success levels

This is a guy who was supposed to be a secondary offensive threat for the Pens on the 2nd PP and at 5v5 and he had one PP goal over his entire three year contract and less than 30 points at 5v5.

For reference, the worst contract in the league we brought in, in Matheson had 20 goals and 30 assists at 5v5 in that same period.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

crab

Jan 26, 2019
no man. Caps top 6 isn’t worse. I’m not going to go man by man, but I don’t need to. Ovy, Kuz, Wilson, Vrana, Backs, Oshie. Stop.

Carlson, Orlov, Dillon, Schultz/Chara. I’d take all 5 of those over the Pens top 4. Carlson over Letang. Orlov over whomever you want as your 2. Dillon over same argument at 3. Your 4 is debatable, over whomever you want to take as the Caps 4th. I’m not buying your arguments at all.

and yeah. Caps are deeper. And heavier. And stronger.

so let’s not get into it.

A 4-5-6 of Pettersson, Matheson and Ceci is not just awful it also cost $10.20M. Letang is also regressing quickly as his physical traits diminish and he has to rely on his questionable decision making.

Add this all together and it’s really funny to see Penguins fans question the Capitals defense when they will be watching that train wreck all season.

Reactions: Ridley Simon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad