Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals sign Sergei Shumakov to ELC [1 year, $925K]

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Like Edmonton? Weak on the wings and can use all the help we get. Cmon Sergei it's not a hard choice!
Yeah, he would have the chance to play with McDavid and Draisaitl for two seasons. If he does well, he can cash in during Free Agency.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
One team that for sure doesn't need him is Winnipeg. But I want him anyway, just so none of you can have him.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Nice pickup for them. Does he have one or two years at ELC price before he can cash in more?

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
so NOW, officially, he is a capital? Seems like a good fit - I have a suspicion Washington lucked into cheap and free talent

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Overall, I think how much he relied on his physicality is probably going to hurt him, at first at least, since life crashing the net isn't the easiest one in the NHL, if you are barely 6 feet tall especially.

Ah, so he’s another Nikita Soshnikov?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Ah, so he’s another Nikita Soshnikov?
Nah, Soshnikov was never really a skill player, even at KHL level. Shumakov is skilled he just thinks he's Rick Nash-like power forward sometimes which I don't think is gonna work in the NHL and he will have to adjust because he's got the skill just not the size or skating.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Overall, I think how much he relied on his physicality is probably going to hurt him, at first at least, since life crashing the net isn't the easiest one in the NHL, if you are barely 6 feet tall especially.

I don't think I want him crashing the net, that's not really part of his game. I agree there is a natural transition period from the KHL to NHL (see Kuznetsov) but the key to that is not getting away from what made you successful in the KHL but simply finding what components of it work in the NHL and strengthening them.

Kuzy's first few seasons were filled with him trying to out dangle guys or try moves that only KHL plugs bite on. Once he realized the rink was smaller, the play was tighter, and the players were better he was able to elevate the skills that made him truly great and get away from his lazy tendencies.

That's the KHL thing for me. The talent disparity is so great over there you have these guys who are dummying guys with lazy tactics so when they come over here they keep trying it and get roasted.

Reactions: smitty10

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
so NOW, officially, he is a capital? Seems like a good fit - I have a suspicion Washington lucked into cheap and free talent
This is a curious sentiment.
Did Chicago LUCK into Panarin?
Edmonton LUCK into Justin Schultz?
Pittsburgh LUCK into Zack Aston-Reese?
Rangers LUCK into Vesey, Shattenkirk?
Leafs LUCK into Tavares, Gardiner?
Players that are Free Agents by the rules of the League can choose to sign and play wherever they so desire. It’s not Luck, it’s not necessarily Unfair, It Is What It Is. The Capitals have rarely been the benefactors in these exchanges but have recently fomented a culture of winning and have embraced and cultivated a strong contingent of European players. At the end of the day it’s not Luck, nor is it Surprising. In fact, it’s practically Logical.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
That's the KHL thing for me. The talent disparity is so great over there you have these guys who are dummying guys with lazy tactics so when they come over here they keep trying it and get roasted.
Radulov, anyone?
The thing that separates those players that find success in NA from those that do not is often attitude and maturation. Coaches in the NHL often seem to realize exactly the points you are making but the player rarely does. If the players act like immature adolescents and think things are going to come easy for them, they’ll get passed by the game. If they learn to endure and adapt like Kuzy did, indeed the sky is the limit.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
This is a curious sentiment.
Did Chicago LUCK into Panarin?
Edmonton LUCK into Justin Schultz?
Pittsburgh LUCK into Zack Aston-Reese?
Rangers LUCK into Vesey, Shattenkirk?
Leafs LUCK into Tavares, Gardiner?
Players that are Free Agents by the rules of the League can choose to sign and play wherever they so desire. It’s not Luck, it’s not necessarily Unfair, It Is What It Is. The Capitals have rarely been the benefactors in these exchanges but have recently fomented a culture of winning and have embraced and cultivated a strong contingent of European players. At the end of the day it’s not Luck, nor is it Surprising. In fact, it’s practically Logical.
No I would consider a free asset "luck" as usually the free agents own preference, something the team cannot entirely control, is a factor.

In all those cases the organizations competently did their due diligence to try and sign the player and in all instances the teams were lucky that the player they wanted to sign mutually wanted to sign with them. Tavares for instance had a great many suitors, the leafs did all they could to sign him, but at the end of the day luck played a role - the leafs fortunately were going after a player who had a lot of incentives to sign with them. The San Jose Sharks did their due dilligence too, they made all the logical correct moves (supposedly offering the most money) but at the end of the day Tavares wanted to play in Toronto, something "lucky" for Toronto. Quibble over my choice of words all you like :)

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
What role is he pegged for in Washington? I see a lot of possible NHL forwards there (Ovi Backstrom Kuzy Oshie Burakovsky Vrana Eller Wilson Connolly Stephenson DSP Boyd Walker that’s 13 already), so where does he fit into their lineup?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What role is he pegged for in Washington? I see a lot of possible NHL forwards there (Ovi Backstrom Kuzy Oshie Burakovsky Vrana Eller Wilson Connolly Stephenson DSP Boyd Walker that’s 13 already), so where does he fit into their lineup?
Caps had the revolving door of one top 6 wingers (Vrana ended up getting there in the finals) so he is obviously aiming for that spot. We will see where he ends up playing though, Vrana is a good player who needs to start getting minutes at some point.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
This seems like a good decision for both parties. Caps have nothing to lose, Shumakov goes to one of the perceived better teams around the league. The Russian factor also makes it a good fit.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Boyd and Walker are hardly sure things. They may not even beat out Dowd and Gersich. There are also a few other ones vying for slots (like AJF).

Caps have too many forwards. I could see a deal or 2. Connolly is probably the one most at risk of losing a top 9 slot to Shumakov. But bigger than that, Burakovsky is an RFA and may need to be dealt. We will see.

It’s a good problem to have, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see some deal near end of camp or early in the season, depending on how the kids play.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This seems like a good decision for both parties. Caps have nothing to lose, Shumakov goes to one of the perceived better teams around the league. The Russian factor also makes it a good fit.

Perceived? Reigning champs with pretty much entire roster back plus some kids kicking in the door?

LOL. Don’t need “perceived” in there right now, do we?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad