Post-Game Talk: Wrapup : Game 3 CHI @ DET

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Just for fun, I'm curious if anyone else was disappointed with some of the things going on at JLA last night.

1. Don't throw octopi that disrupts the game. It's just not cool, it could give the other team an advantage, and that could be a jinx. You throw octopi during the national anthem and in the waning seconds if the game is clearly locked up. A 2 goal game with a minute and a half left isn't cool.

2. Playing "Don't Stop Believin'" with a minute and a half left in a 2 goal game. This is another thing reserved for when the game is locked up and the arena is in party mode. The game was not locked up at that point. Jinxing us again.

(For the record, jinxes are the dumbest thing ever, except as applied to Red Wings playoff hockey)

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Just for fun, I'm curious if anyone else was disappointed with some of the things going on at JLA last night.

1. Don't throw octopi that disrupts the game. It's just not cool, it could give the other team an advantage, and that could be a jinx. You throw octopi during the national anthem and in the waning seconds if the game is clearly locked up. A 2 goal game with a minute and a half left isn't cool.

2. Playing "Don't Stop Believin'" with a minute and a half left in a 2 goal game. This is another thing reserved for when the game is locked up and the arena is in party mode. The game was not locked up at that point. Jinxing us again.

(For the record, jinxes are the dumbest thing ever, except as applied to Red Wings playoff hockey)

The first, yes. Kept giving the Hawks time to rest since they didn't have a timeout.

Aug 6, 2012

As long as the puck isn't in play throwing an octopus on the ice won't result in a penalty and its an awesome tradition. Some guy actually missed last night and it landed on someone near the glass :laugh:. One of these days I'm going to throw one.

I think the reason they played it so early is because that was the last commercial break and yeah I thought it was kind of early but luckily it didn't hurt.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007

strongly agree with both.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
If Detroit wins game 4, I don't know how I'll react. I'll probably be scared and nervous they'll blow a 3-1 series lead until they clinch the 4th.

Hopefully Detroit can just win the next 2

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Do people really believe the second point?

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

Jinxes don't exist, and expecting others to abide by your superstitions is a bit unreasonable.

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
When was Al allowed to start spinning them above his head again? Didn't the NHL ban this for a while?

It's still banned and the Wings get fined like $10k everytime he does it. However it is Detroit; our notorious reputation of being the city that breaks every rule created applies here.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Jinxes don't exist, and expecting others to abide by your superstitions is a bit unreasonable.

That's usually how I feel. I usually have a few superstitions when the playoffs roll around though (although, no, I don't REALLY believe in them)

BUT, effecting the game at a critical point is not cool. You shouldn't be throwing an octopus with 2 minutes left when they aren't even going to commercial (IIRC one of them was after an icing). We should all know better than that

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
It's still banned and the Wings get fined like $10k everytime he does it. However it is Detroit; our notorious reputation of being the city that breaks every rule created applies here.

Actually, it isn't banned.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...=771j3dyQ+AQCnttsrVgjwWD4sfSxMX0h+vLkaxJ94c0=

They could get fined for it back when the ruling first came out, but now its ok to twirl the octopus at the zomboni entrance. Its been like this since the playoff run in 2008.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
That's usually how I feel. I usually have a few superstitions when the playoffs roll around though (although, no, I don't REALLY believe in them)

BUT, effecting the game at a critical point is not cool. You shouldn't be throwing an octopus with 2 minutes left when they aren't even going to commercial (IIRC one of them was after an icing). We should all know better than that

Yeah some of them were just stupid, like the one that was thrown when the Hawks were down 3-1 without a time-out and no extra time to plan an attack and some idiot gives them an extra minute or so. :shakehead

I hope that A-hole got a hefty fine.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
Yeah some of them were just stupid, like the one that was thrown when the Hawks were down 3-1 without a time-out and no extra time to plan an attack and some idiot gives them an extra minute or so. :shakehead

That A-hole didn't get fined, but I know I was pretty irate with him. The Hawks starters were resting while they were cleaning up the octopi, and that is what made me upset the most. I wish the crowd would have tossed him out on the ice instead. :D

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Why was it banned?

There was some crap about guts flying around, but the octopi are (or at least should be) boiled so they hold together well enough to be thrown at all. Bettman's an ass, that's really why they tried to kill it.

I just chalk it up to confusion. When was the last time we made it this far and had a reason to chuck anything at the ice other than our frustrations?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
We have two wins in round two. Last time we made it this far, I believe it was those heady days of May 2011. It was a different era for sure, but after all the suffering of the two years in-between we're finally back.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
We have two wins in round two. Last time we made it this far, I believe it was those heady days of May 2011. It was a different era for sure, but after all the suffering of the two years in-between we're finally back.

There are many Wings fans that have the "cup or bust" attitude, and I am fine with that. The deeper we make it into the playoffs and come up short is going to hurt more than if we got booted in the first round.

For example, imagine how it would feel to make it to the Cup finals and lose to the Pens in 6 games. Heck, that would piss me off to no end, but there are many fans who would take that even worse than I would.

At this point, I am enjoying the ride. If we beat the Hawks and advance to the next round, that would be freaking awesome.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I am managing my expectations. We've already exceeded my wildest dreams for the season so I can stomach an exit at this point. I'm really excited for next year already. Deleyser, Full season of Gus, Tatar back up, hopefully Helmer healthy. We can go a lot further this year and hope we do but beating Ducks and now leading Chicago is icing on the cake for me

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
There was some crap about guts flying around, but the octopi are (or at least should be) boiled so they hold together well enough to be thrown at all. Bettman's an ass, that's really why they tried to kill it.

I just chalk it up to confusion. When was the last time we made it this far and had a reason to chuck anything at the ice other than our frustrations?
Wasn't it that Our opponets compained about it and then they banned it?
There are many Wings fans that have the "cup or bust" attitude, and I am fine with that. The deeper we make it into the playoffs and come up short is going to hurt more than if we got booted in the first round.

For example, imagine how it would feel to make it to the Cup finals and lose to the Pens in 6 games. Heck, that would piss me off to no end, but there are many fans who would take that even worse than I would.

At this point, I am enjoying the ride. If we beat the Hawks and advance to the next round, that would be freaking awesome.
I would much rather lose in Conference finals than in the finals to the Pens.

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
I would much rather lose in Conference finals than in the finals to the Pens.

Not me, just simply to get more playoff games/experience under the kids' belts.

And it'd be crazy if this team actually made it to the SCF. Pens are going to have to deal with Boston, that should be a good series.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Not me, just simply to get more playoff games/experience under the kids' belts.

And it'd be crazy if this team actually made it to the SCF. Pens are going to have to deal with Boston, that should be a good series.

Losing in the SC finals to Boston/Sens/Rangers would be fine, but losing to the Pens would kill me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad