Confirmed Trade: [WPG/VAN] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Heading into American thanksgiving, this is looking like highway robbery for the Jets. Schmidt is playing some of his best hockey with Morrissey, playing 22+ minutes a game as a top pair RHD and pacing for 60 points on the year. Not to mention he is under contract for another 3 years after this season.

No idea what Vancouver was thinking letting this guy go for a 3rd
Don’t really care about losing Nate Schmidt. The guy we really miss is Tanev.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
HFboards was right about him only getting a 3rd. His partial NT plus the optics of flipping him 1 year later didn't improve his value one bit.

He should have been traded for Roslovic but he wouldn't waive his NT at that point.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He actually rejected a trade to the Jets but Stastny convinced him to come over.

Yeah I thought I heard that. Not to say Ottawa would 100% be on his list but I would not be surprised if we are. Arena in the middle of nowhere, cold winters, high taxes, tough media, struggling team, very few veterans, etc.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Heading into American thanksgiving, this is looking like highway robbery for the Jets. Schmidt is playing some of his best hockey with Morrissey, playing 22+ minutes a game as a top pair RHD and pacing for 60 points on the year. Not to mention he is under contract for another 3 years after this season.

No idea what Vancouver was thinking letting this guy go for a 3rd
Gotta love posts like this :laugh:

First Canucks fans get told millions of times he’s not worth anything more than a 3rd and most people agreed, and then he proceeds to get moved for it because that was his value at the time and now you don’t know what Vancouver was thinking..he’s playing above expectations, we traded him for what his value was at the time. Pretty simple

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
He actually rejected a trade to the Jets but Stastny convinced him to come over.
According to Schmidt himself during an interview after he arrived in Winnipeg. He was not asked to waive for Winnipeg and never rejected a trade to Winnipeg before going to Vancouver or before ending up in Winnipeg.

Fortunate for the Jets, as he has looked great so far.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Being a Minnesota guy, you would think he would be fine with moving to Winnipeg. Maybe those years down south made him soft?

Reactions: JarvisFunk

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
According to Schmidt himself during an interview after he arrived in Winnipeg. He was not asked to waive for Winnipeg and never rejected a trade to Winnipeg before going to Vancouver or before ending up in Winnipeg.

Maybe not officially asked, but even if he was I doubt that's something he'd want to share with the city that he has to live in for the next 3-4 years.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

Yup and he’s going to admit to his new team and fan base that he didn’t want to play there.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
i liked him in Van, but I think too much was asked of him -- playing on his off-side, needing to be the #1D basically, on a blueline that had one young star who is all O, and otherwise a bunch of bottom pairing guys. As has been said, it's an indictment of Green, as this year's results contimue to be -- this team should not be this bad. Glad it's working out for Schmidt, we got the pick back so can't complain, and his stock was hardly up when we moved him...

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Didn't love him in Van but I probably liked him more than most.

Team sucked, minor league coach, moron GM. Just not the environment for one to thrive in.

Not surprised he's bounced back in another situation.

Reactions: Grantham

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Maybe not officially asked, but even if he was I doubt that's something he'd want to share with the city that he has to live in for the next 3-4 years.
Well it was more, that he wasn't asked about it. He volunteered the information to set the record straight. I can't see a guy bringing the subject up, so he could directly lie about it. It's far more likely he would have just side stepped the question, or not bother to address or since he want asked about it.

I guess it's a catch 22 situation. If he says he rejected the trade, everyone goes "see he rejected the trade". If he says he didn't reject the trade them it's "of course he's lying about it". But if you have your mind made up, don't let the only factual statements we have about the situation change your mind.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

On a team where the veteran leadership have at times been much too intense, he's a very welcome addition. Some mistakes defensively, but a huge add in puck moving out of the zone, and working out really well on the #1 pairing with Morrissey.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Well it was more, that he wasn't asked about it. He volunteered the information to set the record straight. I can't see a guy bringing the subject up, so he could directly lie about it. It's far more likely he would have just side stepped the question, or not bother to address or since he want asked about it.

I guess it's a catch 22 situation. If he says he rejected the trade, everyone goes "see he rejected the trade". If he says he didn't reject the trade them it's "of course he's lying about it". But if you have your mind made up, don't let the only factual statements we have about the situation change your mind.
I mean, it was reported for days before it happened that he wasn't interested in waiving for Winnipeg and then afterwards it was reported that Stastny sold him on the city and team. Also you have a weird definition of a "factual statement". Are you saying it's a fact that it's a statement? Because I guess that's true, but we don't know whether the statement itself is factual or not. I don't have my mind made up and I'm not saying it's true one way or the other just saying what was reported and pointing out a potential reason why he could have said what he did. But hey don't let that get in the way of making a weird passive aggressive send off to your post.

Reactions: BatVader

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Wasn't sold to start, but he's grown on me a lot. Can still be a tire fire in his own zone but he's looked better than he did at the start of the season in that regard.

Reactions: Grantham

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

He did say that he asked for a day or two to think about it and called a few friends to find our more about the situation in Winnipeg.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
According to the anti-Maurice squad on the Jets forum, we deploy an “inferior system”. Accordingly, I would surmise Schmidt’s improved play to smoke and mirrors and not related to any Jets systems. :sarcasm:

To be fair to those people, i've never really thought of Maurice as a particularly strong, or rigid "systems coach" either. But that's what makes it particularly condemning of Travis Green. It's not like Schmidt needs to play under a Barry Trotz or whatever, to be successful. He just needs a coach like Maurice who tends to be able to get the most out of most of his players, deploy them in a way that makes sense and plays to their strengths, and in a system that provides enough support and coherent design to have them play as a unit together. While also helping to cover up for some deficiencies in his rosters at times. Just a good solid coach, operating a team with NHL caliber structure.

Green isn't providing a strong "win as a unit" structure. And he's not getting the most out of his players either. He's just...useless all around. :dunno:

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
He did say that he asked for a day or two to think about it and called a few friends to find our more about the situation in Winnipeg.
True. Which is understandable on his part. The post I was replying to was trying to pass off rumours that he turned down a trade to Winnipeg as fact, when the only statement we have from anyone directly involved in the trade, Schmidt himself, was that Winnipeg had never been presented to him as an option to okay or turn down.

Reactions: larmex99

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Gotta love posts like this :laugh:

First Canucks fans get told millions of times he’s not worth anything more than a 3rd and most people agreed, and then he proceeds to get moved for it because that was his value at the time and now you don’t know what Vancouver was thinking..he’s playing above expectations, we traded him for what his value was at the time. Pretty simple
His value was shit, because your team is shit. This isn't rocket surgery.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad