Confirmed Trade: [WPG/VAN] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah my 4 year old was afraid to take a D*#* there personally

giphy.gif

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Was really excited when we traded for him but just didn’t work out for Nate. He seems like a great personality, no hard feelings. Hope it works out for him in Winnipeg

Reactions: Cogburn and David71

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
He just never fit in with the team and some people thrive where the media doesn't report how many dumps you've taken and the fans don't hold rallies and fly banners bemoaning management. He also wanted the minutes Quinn was getting and our group seems very serious all the time, like a bunch of nerdy virgins, while Nate probably still goes to keggers. Benning has trimmed 25 million in cap while only adding 12 in a flat cap world and did it at the cost of a 2nd while receiving a 3rd.

Haha I lol’d at the nerdy virgins comment. This organization loves their boring, squeaky clean family guys (with Virtanen being an obvious exception for unknown reasons). No normal dudes like Schmidt allowed.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I’m a bit perplexed by this myself. Very likable guy, our best defender last year. No idea why he wanted out.
He's probably losing his marbles over his playoff exits in Vegas, so missing the playoffs in Vancouver probably meant existential meltdown.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Heading into American thanksgiving, this is looking like highway robbery for the Jets. Schmidt is playing some of his best hockey with Morrissey, playing 22+ minutes a game as a top pair RHD and pacing for 60 points on the year. Not to mention he is under contract for another 3 years after this season.

No idea what Vancouver was thinking letting this guy go for a 3rd

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Heading into American thanksgiving, this is looking like highway robbery for the Jets. Schmidt is playing some of his best hockey with Morrissey, playing 22+ minutes a game as a top pair RHD and pacing for 60 points on the year. Not to mention he is under contract for another 3 years after this season.

He didn’t exactly succeed there. They, if I recollect, only paid a 3rd for cap reasons to Vegas. Just recouping their pick is my guess.

Reactions: CanuckCity

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Im very annoyed that ottawa trade for him considering the shitshow state of ottawa's defense when the sens ice their 'regulars'

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Ya it’s too bad it didn’t work in Vancouver, it still isn’t clear why but he wanted out. While he didn’t look great last year, we sure could use a good defensive defenseman right now.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Yeah he was just not a good fit here. We have enough and better transition defensemen here. What we needed was a shutdown guy and he isn't that.

Oh, and also we suck at hockey.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
He didn’t exactly succeed there. They, if I recollect, only paid a 3rd for cap reasons to Vegas. Just recouping their pick is my guess.
He wasn't great but there is a lot of talent in that franchise and they just underachieve year after year. Benning has lucked into a core capable of playing competitive hockey but they... just don't.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012

No surprise. Do I get internet points for calling this as soon as the deal happened?

The coaching staff in Vancouver is embarassing. As soon as Schmidt goes to a team with a proper system, he succeeds. Back to being a top pair defensemen, again

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He played solid defense for the Canucks last season, just cant fit in playing that type of defense for the Canucks. Couldnt get rid of him soon enough. Hughes and OEL are next...

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

I call this the "Green Effect". He makes good defensemen play so, so, so, so, so, so, so much worse by using them in ways they would never normally have to play.

I am stoked he is back to his old self in Winnipeg though, for him, for the fans, for the organization and for showing how terrible Green and Benning are at their jobs.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I call this the "Green Effect". He makes good defensemen play so, so, so, so, so, so, so much worse by using them in ways they would never normally have to play.

I am stoked he is back to his old self in Winnipeg though, for him, for the fans, for the organization and for showing how terrible Green and Benning are at their jobs.

Yeah. Schmidt's immediate return to looking like a quality, minute-munching defenceman who can contribute at both ends again...is a pretty scathing indictment of Travis Green. He just doesn't have a coherent system with proper support. Seems to expects his defenders to largely freelance and make it up through individual effort and creativity. A lot of very good defencemen just cannot thrive or even survive in that sort of environment.

It's painfully clear from his immediate resurgence, it's not even that Schmidt is a "system defenceman" who needs a certain fit to thrive. He clearly just needs..."a system". And Travis Green ain't got none. :dunno:

So at least this Schmidt debacle has put than on full display i guess. And didn't really "cost" them anything in particular for the one-year trial run that didn't work, but more or less recouped the asset cost on the way out. Don't think it really should've been necessary, as it seemed kind of evident to begin with. But hey...throw more evidence on the pile until it finally buries him i guess?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah. Schmidt's immediate return to looking like a quality, minute-munching defenceman who can contribute at both ends again...is a pretty scathing indictment of Travis Green. He just doesn't have a coherent system with proper support. Seems to expects his defenders to largely freelance and make it up through individual effort and creativity. A lot of very good defencemen just cannot thrive or even survive in that sort of environment.

It's painfully clear from his immediate resurgence, it's not even that Schmidt is a "system defenceman" who needs a certain fit to thrive. He clearly just needs..."a system". And Travis Green ain't got none. :dunno:

So at least this Schmidt debacle has put than on full display i guess. And didn't really "cost" them anything in particular for the one-year trial run that didn't work, but more or less recouped the asset cost on the way out. Don't think it really should've been necessary, as it seemed kind of evident to begin with. But hey...throw more evidence on the pile until it finally buries him i guess?

Almost everything up to this point is a scathing indictment of Green. I can't figure out how he has gotten this much leash.

Reactions: tgo0 and biturbo19

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What's funny to me is how much praise Benning got for acquiring him for just a 3rd over a year ago, and sure that's fair, but then after a year in Vancouver's system shipping him back out for a 3rd was considered perfectly reasonable value. Now he's back to where he was in Vegas, a guy that would more typically cost a late 1st to acquire, who became available only for a 3rd because of the big Covid cap crunch.

Just really indicative of how Benning's handled asset value in his 8 seasons with the Canucks. 1st round value, 3rd round return.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

According to the anti-Maurice squad on the Jets forum, we deploy an “inferior system”. Accordingly, I would surmise Schmidt’s improved play to smoke and mirrors and not related to any Jets systems. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Heldig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad