Confirmed Trade: [WPG/VAN] Jordie Benn for 2021 6th round pick

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

What benefit is there in avoiding expansion draft damage if you're never good enough to compete anyway?

Never good enough to compete? Were were in the WCF not long ago. Then we had our entire D-core leave for various reasons.

We have the forwards. We have the goaltending. We need some MASSIVE upgrades on defense. Those upgrades were nowhere to be found at the deadline.

In your heart of hearts, would you be happy if we traded Heinola and a 1st for Ekholm?

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Never good enough to compete? Were were in the WCF not long ago. Then we had our entire D-core leave for various reasons.

We have the forwards. We have the goaltending. We need some MASSIVE upgrades on defense. Those upgrades were nowhere to be found at the deadline.

In your heart of hearts, would you be happy if we traded Heinola and a 1st for Ekholm?

Right, we used to be strong contenders, but right now we aren't good enough, even though our playoff path this year would have been easier than ever before. We do/did not need to trade a 1st and Heinola to get a reasonable upgrade. But failing to somehow upgrade the defense for fear of losing someone to expansion this year is silly, we threw away the best opportunity we were ever going to get. Someone said this to me here previously - if we make roster decisions based on the fear of losing DeMelo to expansion, we are not contenders.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Right, we used to be strong contenders, but right now we aren't good enough, even though our playoff path this year would have been easier than ever before. We do/did not need to trade a 1st and Heinola to get a reasonable upgrade. But failing to somehow upgrade the defense for fear of losing someone to expansion this year is silly, we threw away the best opportunity we were ever going to get. Someone said this to me here previously - if we make roster decisions based on the fear of losing DeMelo to expansion, we are not contenders.

Everyone keeps saying that this year would be our easiest path but it is still not that easy. With our D-core, this isn't even close to our best chance. When we have a seasoned Stanley and a brand new Heinola and Samburg we will be a much more formidable force. I just don't see what was available that we missed out on.

Edit: I will add, I thought that it was a matter of protecting Stanley. I wouldn't feel bad about losing Demelo and don't think that he's worth not making a trade for. I just don't see what was out there that we missed. Chevy said there were deals in the works but they never panned out. That leads me to believe that it would've taken an overpayment to upgrade our d from harsh to meh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad