Confirmed Trade: [WPG/VAN] Jordie Benn for 2021 6th round pick

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Not that I disagree about the draft, but who would you have used the first on? Hall? Mantha? Foligno?

They already got Dubois for the scratched Laine and....ok Roslovic is doing well, but wasn't about to do that in Winnipeg.

A great D could have been worth it, but more forwards, especially big, heavy players or top notch scorers (if Hall rebounds) aren't what the Jets needed.

They're one good defenseman away from a WALK to the conference finals. Give up the farm.

At the very least you need to give up a 1st for Savard.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
What are they waiting for? Wheeler to be old and washed up? Dubois' contract to expire? To get back in a division with Colorado, Vegas and St Louis?

They've blown so many opportunities to win. God forbid they might have traded the pick they used to draft Logan Stanley! Heck, they might even have beat Vegas in the semis
With the way the team has been playing this year. One acquisition isn’t going to put us over the top. If he would have found a decent deal that is more then a rental I think he would have gone for it. I like Chevy’s conservative approach. Deadline rentals is the most overrated thing in hockey.

Last edited:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Chevy needs to be fired.

You get a gift wrapped path to the conference finals and you're scared to give up a 1st in a garbage draft???

Gutless

By all accounts the pick was available, the sticking point was Heinola/Perfetti.

They've blown so many opportunities to win. God forbid they might have traded the pick they used to draft Logan Stanley! Heck, they might even have beat Vegas in the semis

The Stanley pick was acquired at the deadline for Ladd.

Anyhow they have added at the deadline and got goalied anyway. Can't do it every year.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Good depth pickup for Jets but super disappointed they didn't load up more. I think they can easily beat montreal and Edmonton but I think they needed to add more to be able to the Leafs.

That defence just wont be good enough

Reactions: BruinsBtn

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Good smart move by Jets to shore up depth on D for cheap. Benn was good for us here. His tools are limited, but he’s steady when he not asked to play beyond them. Also adds good physicality and stands up for teammates.

Good first pass. Was actually one of the better partner for Hughes this year because of his smarts.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Hughes best numbers have been with Benn
shocking I know

Hughes plays like absolute trash with Myers and replacement level with Hamonic...... Correction everyone plays like trash when paired with myers.

But the sample size was big enough with Benn about a third of season, and he makes simple plays, and is a decent 6/7 defenseman.
He allows other defenseman to play their game.

Reactions: John Agar and hn777

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Meh, price was right for some insurance, the real upgrades will be Samberg in for Forbort and Heinola in for Poolman?

From an outside perspective with no dog in either fight? I don’t mind this trade especially if it’s pennies on the dollar. Like you said “insurance” purposes. Not only are injuries being a possible thing for a playoff bound Jets squad. But we also saw the covid issues on the Canucks. Just finding enough bodies seems to be a problem in the NHL right now.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
They're one good defenseman away from a WALK to the conference finals. Give up the farm.

I agree.

Savard is the only player traded that meets the criteria (good enough to help walk Winnipeg through the division), and Tampa Bay paid that first, third and fourth. Worth it, with the various retentions, but my guess is that the Lightning beat the Jets to the punch.

Murray from New Jersey (injury prone, but effective when healthy), Manson (or someone from Anaheim), or someone else from Columbus like Jones (if they're embracing a rebuild, but then would need a lot more than a first) would fit that top 4 D role, or better, but most UFA, RFA or other players that meet criteria belong to teams still fighting for a playoff spot. I agree they should have gone for a D, at least from the outside, and not been afraid to open the vault or back the truck up. My concern is where would they point those resources.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

I agree.

Savard is the only player traded that meets the criteria (good enough to help walk Winnipeg through the division), and Tampa Bay paid that first, third and fourth. Worth it, with the various retentions, but my guess is that the Lightning beat the Jets to the punch.

Murray from New Jersey (injury prone, but effective when healthy), Manson (or someone from Anaheim), or someone else from Columbus like Jones (if they're embracing a rebuild, but then would need a lot more than a first) would fit that top 4 D role, or better, but most UFA, RFA or other players that meet criteria belong to teams still fighting for a playoff spot. I agree they should have gone for a D, at least from the outside, and not been afraid to open the vault or back the truck up. My concern is where would they point those resources.

Reactions: BruinsBtn

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
What are they waiting for? Wheeler to be old and washed up? Dubois' contract to expire? To get back in a division with Colorado, Vegas and St Louis?

The year they went to the semi's against Vegas, they did give up their first round pick to get Stastny.

They drafted Stanley two years before that, after they missed the playoffs badly. Also they aren't a D away from a walk to the conference finals. I think you are overestimating the Jets here. Not surprising considering you aren't even sure who are in their division in a normal year.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The year they went to the semi's against Vegas, they did give up their first round pick to get Stastny.

They drafted Stanley two years before that, after they missed the playoffs badly. Also they aren't a D away from a walk to the conference finals. I think you are overestimating the Jets here. Not surprising considering you aren't even sure who are in their division in a normal year.

If you think they're going to get a better opportunity than this year, you're badly mistaken.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Chevy needs to be fired.

You get a gift wrapped path to the conference finals and you're scared to give up a 1st in a garbage draft???

Gutless

Scared to give up a 1st???? Don’t think so! Chevy has proven he’s willing to sacrifice 1st round picks for upgrades his team needs and he has stated today that the “Big swings” he tried for were not even traded today so it’s not like some other team scooped him. Prices we’re just too high.

It’s widely considered that he had offers out there for Manson, Oleksiak and possibly Zadorov.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

Chevx

Jul 5, 2017
Planet Earth

Ok but the point is that you must value your 1st when you are in the WPG situation - as said earlier in this thread, Jets have difficulties to sign UFAs so the (only) way to get decent players is by paying the price for them in a casual trade. That being said, you cannot waste your 1st when you are not in a win now mode. WPG will be in that position when Heinola, Samberg and Perfetti are NHLers, which will be sooner than later. Though it means Wheeler will be far behind his peak.

If there was a certainty of Manson extending for reasonable money then yeah I would give up 2021 1st, 2022 2nd and a prospect (I think Ducks would use Reichel nicely), maybe toss in a conditional 3rd this year if WPG "WALKS to the conference finals".

Nov 24, 2006

The lost 4-2 to the Senators last night, after being up 2-0. They are at least 2 top-4 D away from anything. I think Chevy knows this.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Not sure why there’s so much hate here, Benn has been very good this year. He’s been playing with Hughes for the most part and he’s been able to keep up okay. This is a good deal for Winnipeg, and it helps Vancouver too as we have Juolevi (and Rathbone) who both need playing time on the left side.

Reactions: hn777

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Chevy didn’t want to go home empty handed, so he picked up a scrap off the floor as a souvenir.
Should have kept our pick and used it to draft a bottom 6, depth AHL forward.
This was a completely useless move.

Last edited:

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Benn was surprisingly good in Vancouver this year. He plays better on the right side even though he is a LHD. The Vancouver spent all last year trying to convert him to a LD and only out of necessity (Tanev being allowed to leave) eventually allowed him to play on the right side.
Anyway, he has been more than serviceable this year and it was a bit of a shock, given how bad he looked the year before.

Reactions: John Agar and hn777

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
I am happy with this Benn adds some grit, experience and can fill some of the hard minutes we don't want JM or Pionk playing too much off (PK and vs 4th line). This will free up our more skilled D men to focus on playing with and against the better players.

I don't doubt Chevy saw what Toronto is doing and with the fact our ownership likely isn't looking to throw money around during a season where almost no revenue is coming in. A long playoff run could cost a lot more, especially without fans in the stands and merch being purchased.

I see next year as our year to go. Sign Copp and Lowry with the Statsny/Perrault cash, let some of our younger guys get into the 3rd-4th line roles.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
For those saying we should have loaded up, the expansion draft is on the horizon. We would be losing someone we don't want to if we picked up anything more than a cheap rental.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4