Confirmed Trade: [WPG/NJD] Tyler Toffoli (50% retained) for 2025 2nd round pick and 2024 3rd round pick

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I like this, but we also don't need this. But I personally love this for the Jets. We have a solid NHL vet who can play in the top six and brings their A-game in the playoffs. Surprised we got him that cheap though.

Jets better not have made a deal with the Devil.

But this is how our lines will be going into the playoffs healthy. What I love is the combination of veteran and young players.

Connor-Scheifele-Vilardi
Ehlers-Monahan-Toffoli
Niederreider-Lowry-Appleton
Perfetti-Iafallo-Barron

Morrissey-DeMelo
Dillon-Pionk
Schmidt-Miller
Samberg

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I like this, but we also don't need this. But I personally love this for the Jets. We have a solid NHL vet who can play in the top six and brings their A-game in the playoffs. Surprised we got him that cheap though.

But this is how our lines will be going into the playoffs healthy. What I love is the combination of veteran and young players.

Connor-Scheifele-Vilardi
Ehlers-Monahan-Toffoli
Perfetti-Iafallo-Barron

Morrissey-DeMelo
Dillon-Pionk
Schmidt-Miller
Samberg

Hellebuyck
Brossoit
No chance Perfetti is in over Namestnikov. At all.

4th line will be Barron- Namestnikov- Iafallo.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
I don’t get this trade for NJ. There trying to fix their goaltending and are clearly not giving up by acquiring goaltending. But than they trade their best goal scorer on the year? Doesn’t make any sense. This is a great move by the jets. Puzzling one for NJ.

Reactions: Kimota and dez

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don’t get this trade for NJ. There trying to fix their goaltending and are clearly not giving up by acquiring goaltending. But than they trade their best goal scorer on the year? Doesn’t make any sense. This is a great move by the jets. Puzzling one for NJ.

They're a longshot to make the playoffs and they couldn't come to an agreement on an extension with Toffoli (largely due to a difference in term), so they trade a pending UFA in Toffoli and get picks in return that could be used in part to acquire a starting goalie. If Toffoli hits the open market and can't find the term he's looking for, perhaps he circles back with NJ this summer. There was no way they could have him on the roster post-TDL without an extension in place and risk losing him for nothing.

The Allen trade was for him to serve as backup next season as well as limit the number of games for Daws and Schmid this season in order for both to maintain their waiver eligibility as long as possible. Once either goaltender hits 60 games, they'll have to clear waivers in order to be sent down - Schmid currently has 52 NHL games while Daws is at 44. This allows both goalies to start next season in the AHL which is probably best for their development, while being able to be called up and sent back down in case of injury.

The Vanecek trade was purely to shed his salary for next season.

Now the Devils can acquire a starting goalie over the summer, have Allen as the backup and Schmid and Daws in the AHL to start next season.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Nice trade for the Peg. Love Toffoli, guy can score and is a great guy to have around. Jets have picked off 2 very good former Habs in Monahan and Toffoli.

And Jesus people, buy a ticket and see a game.

Villert

Dec 29, 2009
And Jesus people, buy a ticket and see a game.

Not what it's about. Not even close. Gave up my tickets when they started releasing mini-packs for x games with access to the playoffs and food/benefits for less per game than season ticket holders.. This combined with absolutely no loyalty to season ticket holders (in fact, downright rudeness for the most part) and making it impossible to sell or transfer tickets without being bent over backward just felt too much like a big middle finger. Concessions and all the other costs combined with covid/inflation obviously didn't help anyone either.

Otherwise agree, though. Hated playing against Toffoli and Monahan against the Habs, especially Toffoli knocking us out and completing the sweep. Really excited for what this means for the Jets going forward and hoping everyone meshes well and it leads to a deep run.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love

I think NJ wanted to get out of the Vanacek contract (one more year). He might bounce back, but he probably needs to be out of NJ.

I'm not entirely sure they sign Kahkonen this summer (UFA). But between him and Allen this year, they can let Daws and Schmid go back to the AHL

Acquiring Allen is for next year. But also above, to let the kids go back to the AHL this season.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I'm a big fan of The Toff

Slow skater, but it doesn't matter, since he has solid hockey IQ and he's always well positionned
Can play both wings
Can play both PP and PK
He has a wicked wrist shot, really precise
Plays top 6 and will never feel out of place, even against top players
He's a gamer, rarely had bad games with the Habs

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
LOL!
I'm the opposite. If the Jets can make it to the WCF I am hopping they meet the Knight. I want to see them beat them in the PO's and get that monkey off their backs. Also beating the current SC champion would be a great boost to the team going into the final.
I feel like if the JETS ever managed to beat Vegas in a series, that would be their Stanley Cup. Beating such a foe that’s been a thorn in their side would unfortunately satisfy them and the then the Stanley Cup Final would be a letdown.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Vegas?
The only way we meet them is in the 3rd round. BTW I think the team to beat for the Jets to make it to the final is Dallas not Col, Van, Edm or VGK. I'd match the Jets with against any of those team but Dallas is the one team I have major doubts the Jets can beat.

Yep. Dallas is the rock to Jets' scissors

Or the paper to the jets' rock

...or the scissors to the jets' paper....

Or the....

Well. I could use pokemon starters as an analogy as well lol

They have our number this year

Reactions: Deno

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Connor-Scheifele-Vilardi
Ehlers-Monahan-Toffoli
Perfetti-Iafallo-Barron

Morrissey-DeMelo
Dillon-Pionk
Schmidt-Miller
Samberg

Hellebuyck
Brossoit
Which players do you consider young? Why is Sammy number 7?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I get why it might seemed like a mixed signal, but perhaps publicly they didn't want to admit that the playoffs were a long shot after the team took a dive in the weeks leading up to the deadline. The math just wasn't favorable.

- Get something for the impending UFAs (Toffoli/Miller)

- For the sanity of the rest of the team, don't force Daws/Schmid into the lineup for the rest of the season. It's arguable that the bigger part of the Kahkonen/Vanecek swap was freeing up the cap space for next season. Unfortunately they knew that it would take several days for Jake Allen to get his work visa, so he won't be an option until this weekend. Allen being under contract at least pencils in a 1B option for next season while they try to find a starter. Realistically both goalie trades were more about next season with some theoretical short term benefit.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Thread kinda has gone all over the place but a glurge of thoughts from NJD perspective

Disappointing return on Toffoli but they held out playoff hope late and would have used him essentially as a self-rental. Seems like Toffoli is bent on getting a contract with term and presumably NMC for the early years as he seems tired of getting shuffled all over the place. Whether he commands that in the open market is debatable and if the situation takes a Tataresque turn where he sorta finds out the hard way the Devils would be in on trying to bring him back over the summer.

Sharangovich has played well for Calgary with a better opportunity based on style and where he fit in the mix in NJ. The question for Calgary will be if he is happy enough to sign there for a long-term extension or will he instead walk into UFA. If the latter then this thread will get the answer of what his value is as a playoff-team rental this time next year

The Devils essentially are clearing the decks goalie-wise. They wanted Allen earlier in the year (but Allen didn't waive his NTC because he thought he would be blocked by Daws/Schmid. Seeing the reality of the situation at this point he waived when the Devils came back calling. With 50% retained my SJ it makes Allen a cheap veteran backup for next year while giving Fitz some more room to move. Kahkonen is basically a games-eater it looks like as Fitz didn't make it sound like there was any interest in him beyond this year (dunno if more. 920 games like the first with the team would change that opinion). The value in that for the Devils is that Daws has like 15 games left on his waiver exemption and Schmid only has like 8. So off to the AHL they go for the rest of the season to preserve that ahead of next season (side note supposed Schmid now wants to be traded). And they get out of the boat-anchor final year of Vanacek without having to do a buyout. The statistics may not improve over the rest of the year but the situation is more workable than where they were at.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Thread kinda has gone all over the place but a glurge of thoughts from NJD perspective

Disappointing return on Toffoli but they held out playoff hope late and would have used him essentially as a self-rental. Seems like Toffoli is bent on getting a contract with term and presumably NMC for the early years as he seems tired of getting shuffled all over the place. Whether he commands that in the open market is debatable and if the situation takes a Tataresque turn where he sorta finds out the hard way the Devils would be in on trying to bring him back over the summer.

Sharangovich has played well for Calgary with a better opportunity based on style and where he fit in the mix in NJ. The question for Calgary will be if he is happy enough to sign there for a long-term extension or will he instead walk into UFA. If the latter then this thread will get the answer of what his value is as a playoff-team rental this time next year

The Devils essentially are clearing the decks goalie-wise. They wanted Allen earlier in the year (but Allen didn't waive his NTC because he thought he would be blocked by Daws/Schmid. Seeing the reality of the situation at this point he waived when the Devils came back calling. With 50% retained my SJ it makes Allen a cheap veteran backup for next year while giving Fitz some more room to move. Kahkonen is basically a games-eater it looks like as Fitz didn't make it sound like there was any interest in him beyond this year (dunno if more. 920 games like the first with the team would change that opinion). The value in that for the Devils is that Daws has like 15 games left on his waiver exemption and Schmid only has like 8. So off to the AHL they go for the rest of the season to preserve that ahead of next season (side note supposed Schmid now wants to be traded). And they get out of the boat-anchor final year of Vanacek without having to do a buyout. The statistics may not improve over the rest of the year but the situation is more workable than where they were at.
What? When did Schmid say he wants to be traded?

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
12. Alex Killorn’s four-year, $6.25M AAV deal in Anaheim definitely is a target point for free-agent wingers. It loomed large over the Tyler Toffoli negotiations in New Jersey, with the Devils mindful of term. Winnipeg was very aggressive on Toffoli and made sure they did what they could to get him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What? When did Schmid say he wants to be traded?

Assuming he cited this article. Schmid didn't say he wanted to be traded, but his agent allegedly expressed some hope that he would be after contract extension talks fell through. We'll see what happens, team probably will have to decide between Daws/Schmid by next year at any rate.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

Assuming he cited this article. Schmid didn't say he wanted to be traded, but his agent allegedly expressed some hope that he would be after contract extension talks fell through. We'll see what happens, team probably will have to decide between Daws/Schmid by next year at any rate.
Well then, it would have been nice to trade him last offseason when someone would have given the Devils something for him. Now his value is zero, wouldn't even move the needle in a package.

I don't put a lot of thought into what an agent thinks though, they're solely thinking of $.

Reactions: My3Sons

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
3 games and 2 periods in Toffoli has 3g 1a playing on the second line with Monahan and Ehlers. This gives the Jets 2 very solid scoring lines, even with Vilardi out.

Toffoli is fitting in perfectly with Monahan and Ehlers like a glove. He has played with Monahan in the past and was roommates with him in junior. A lot of talk of the Jets wanting to sign Toffoli after the season and if I were Chevy I would gladly pay 4 yrs at 6 mil per with a NMC. Monahan I would do something very similar, maybe 3 years though and at 5.5 with a limited NTC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad