Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Nikolaj Ehlers signs extension (7 years, $6M AAV)

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Not necessarily true, if they replicate their 60+ seasons they will make over 7. Ehlers had 38 in 72 his rookie year.

102 in 154 is a lot less than 125 in 160 when it comes to contracts.

Agreed. 6 mil is their floor right now. If they replicate their season's it'll probably up it to at least .5
If they play even better, another mill might be in the talks

Ehlers is a discount, not market value necessarily

Last edited:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Another 8 year rental...
Better trade him before it is too late...

Good deal for the Jets...
But I wonder which one of Trouba or Wheeler will get moved over the next year or so to make room for the other ones extension + Laines next contract...

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
all my notifications said $42M/6 years which I thought was a little high but fair compared to Pastrnak, the correction to 7 years makes it a good deal imo

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Good deal for the Jets

That's a steal for the Jets. I'd definitely say Ehlers and Nylander and Marner are very comparable. I doubt Nylander and Marner take 6M, they know how much money the Leafs make and how much more expensive it is to live in Toronto than the Peg.

This also have the chance to play more hockey to show they're worth more.

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
The same people saying Nylander will get the same as Ehlers are the same people saying he will be a bonafide 2C lol, either he's a winger and gets this fantastic contract or he asks for Draisaitl money and role, can't have both...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Does Chevy have some dirt on Ehlers? What a great signing.

Ehlers and Scheif both locked up to incredibly team friendly contracts.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Especially if the player can play center. I think that factors into contract negotiations, as guy who can play center adds more flexibility for the forward lineup. I don't know a lot about Marner, but I've heard a lot that Nylander can play center. If he plays center this season and is successful (put up points) he could be looking at 8m, IMO. Even if he doesn't play center, just the fact that he can should add more $$$'s to his contract. Marner is proabably closer to 7m. But who really knows; these are just guesses, and so much can happen.

But this contract is incredibly good for the Jets. Ehlers needs to improve defensively, but I think he's smart enough to do that, and he's admitted on TSN that he's going to work harder on it.

Coaches have commented specifically on this, that Ehlers 200 foot game improved the most of anyone on the team. The reason we are seeing Ehlers and Laine together again is that he feels Ehlers defensive game has improved so much he doesn't have to worry about playing the 2 young guys together.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Honestly, I think there is a "Winnipeg Tax" but it is mainly for Free Agents. If you're looking at the Jets/their market and the city from the outside, it's totally understandable why a popular FA wouldn't want to sign with the Jets if he has other options that have at least a similar successful hockey team.

Regarding players that are already part of the franchise/city/team: Yeah, I don't think they seem to want extra cash to stay part of this group.

Ehhhhh how many big name money FA's are there every year? It's not the best way to build a team. You can end up signing the next David Clarkson. What we will primarily use FA for is filler and complementary pieces. So far, we haven't had an issue with that. Look at a guy like Perreault. He took money right at his price point to play here.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
If Ehler just scores on 50% of his missed breakways, this will be a fantastic contract!
:sarcasm:

Reactions: koth

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Seems steep for a player with another year on their ELC and one year of production warranting something like this number. I don't like this recent trend of offering huge deals with another year still on the ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad