Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Nikolaj Ehlers signs extension (7 years, $6M AAV)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
he should have waited till after this season to sign an extension. he could have probably made more.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Nicely done. I don't think he is worth 6m per season yet*, but if he puts up 60 points this season, or near there, than that's a great contract for the next 7 years. Well done by WPG to get him signed to a deal now, rather than wait and let the price tag get even higher.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Steal, i look at this contract then look at Eichel's.. head scratcher. I get that Eichel is a center but that still doesn't justify a 4M difference between the 2.

There is a giant difference between a superstar franchise building block and a top 6 complementary player. Laine is going to get the Eichel treatment, because that's what you do with your cornerstones.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Great deal for the Jets. Ehlers is a fantastic player... you guys definitely got you money's worth with this one.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Cost of this level of player on today's NHL.

Now two more players will be signed for veteran minimum to fill out the roster in future.....

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Jets now have 2 of the best contracts in the league with Ehlers and Scheifele.

Really? Ehlers has scored up to this contract for one season and is now signed to it for 7 years starting next year. It may prove to be a nice deal but I don't see how it's one of the best contracts in the league.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
Really? Ehlers has scored up to this contract for one season and is now signed to it for 7 years starting next year. It may prove to be a nice deal but I don't see how it's one of the best contracts in the league.

OOh Ehlers Sweet natural hattrick disagrees! :bb:

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
It wasn't a natural hat trick. A "natural hat trick" means they scored all three goals in one period.

FiveHoled

Jul 2, 2016
West Coast
He's not even on this deal yet. Great game from him, but my concern is that this starts next year and goes far into the future based on a very limited sample of success.

Fairly certain the Jets aren't too concerned about it and are willing to take on the risk contently. Chances are much higher that he will outperform this contract than under perform. There is risk with any signing.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Fairly certain the Jets aren't too concerned about it and are willing to take on the risk contently. Chances are much higher that he will outperform this contract than under perform. There is risk with any signing.

Sure. They wouldn't have offered the contract if they were extremely concerned about it. But this forum wouldn't exist if we were all willing to take the fact that a team is comfortable with something to mean that thing can't possibly be a mistake to any degree.

There is risk in any signing, but there's a good deal extra risk in a signing when its a 7 year deal signed on year 2 of an ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad