Proposal: [WPG/MTL] (Deadline)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
mtl would want a confirmed 1st round pick for patches so i'd assume they won't do this

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Pacioretty, who admitedly is having a subpar year, is definitely an upgrade on both Perreault and Connor regardless of what you think. Look at his stats in the last five years, the dude is an elite scorer. He hasn't magically declined at his age especially when he hasn't suffered any major injuries recently.
why is he having a bad season this year? Is he playing with Danault for the most part or with Drouin? Why do his playoff numbers suck too?

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
Jets are doing well but we certainly don’t want to rush things. Roslo looks like a keeper and our winger depth is fantastic. Also what would it cost for Mete?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Pacioretty, who admitedly is having a subpar year, is definitely an upgrade on both Perreault and Connor regardless of what you think. Look at his stats in the last five years, the dude is an elite scorer. He hasn't magically declined at his age especially when he hasn't suffered any major injuries recently.

Lets say your right and max is hypothetically 20% better then MP or Connor. That still isn't worth what you want in the OP, not even close. Wingers to us are our strongest position, along with RHD. Don't offer us any wingers or RHD in any deal......we want to ship out bottom 6 wingers possibly. Jack is our future 2C and is ripping up the AHL. BL is also a very strong bottom 6 winger, one we want to promote eventually but we're too staked on wing now......last thing we need is another winger who isn't a significant up grade over what we have now and is a UFA in 1.5 yrs.

No interest in Max....zero interest....last thing we need. Go sell him off to a team in need of scoring (not us) and wingers (not us). You literally are trying to sell him to one of the teams that need him the least....thus what we would offer you for him would be pennies of the dollar.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If management, feels we have a legit. shot at the cup and run into injury troubles, maybe we'll move one of the big guns on the farm. But really,if a top 6er gets hurt, we have Perrault (or possibly even a chance for Roslovic) waiting. then a Petan or Lemiuex callup to fill any IR holes. If a bottom 6er gets hurt, we have a lemieux/Petan call up.

I think you'll see tinkering at best. Like a couple of years ago when guys like Tlusty, Stempinak, Harrison, etc were brought in.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Not remotely interested. The Jets have some big money contracts coming up to Laine, Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebucyk and possibly Wheeler, and smaller raises to Lowry, and Armia.

The only way that is possible and have a competitive roster is to fill in other spots with guys like Roslovic, Lemieux, Petan, etc.

0 interest in trading away young talent like that right now. Small tweaks could be made at the deadline to add some depth (mainly on D), but the Jets also have Matthais and Dano for depth, and Roslovic who is playing extreamly well in the AHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Winnipeg doesn't need another winger. They have Kyle Connor, Nikolaj Ehlers, Blake Wheeler and Patrik Laine as their Top 6 Wingers. They even have a solid Bottom 6 lineup, with the likes of Matt Perreault and Joel Armia on the wings. Winnipeg would likely have no reason to do this trade. They need Roslovic for when Little slows down.
This poster gets it...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Patches is good, but he's not a significant enough upgrade on LW to trade a bunch of valuable futures for him. If the Jets were to give up valuable prospects and picks, it wouldn't be for a LW.

Reactions: Hunter368

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
To Montreal: Jack Roslovic, Shawn Matthias (cap dump), Brendan Lemieux, conditional pick (1st if Jets reach WCF, 2nd if Jets qualify for playoffs, 3rd if they miss).

To Winnipeg: Max Pacioretty and Tomas Plekanec (at 3M).

Is this realistic or I'm asking too much as a Habs fan?

Dude, do you even research what a team need? Jets have 4 (3 if you put Laine on the right side, but I think he is better on the left side).

We dont need Pacthes atm, Connor is horrible snake biten, he should have twice the amount of goals with a normal "luck".

Only thing I can see would intresse is Mete as of this time, Drouin would be more of we really have, but Droiun sure would be nice...

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
I think Montreal could face a dilemma with Plekanec. If he's only worth a mid-round pick, with retention, then I'm not sure he'll get traded even assuming Montreal never climbs out of the toilet pit they've turned their season into.

He's a lifer. He likes Montreal. It's just a business, and even Koivu finished his career elsewhere, but I don't think he's someone you toss for a mid-round pick. Doesn't seem worth it to me. Finish the season and assess his interest in coming back on a much lower contract and probably smaller role.

But if he's worth a decent prospect or a good-ish draft pick, then retain and FAX THAT TRADE SHEET.

Reactions: Aspirine

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Easy no from the Jets, Max offers us absolutely nothing. Literally he might be our 4th line LW......our current top 9 are out producing him and that includes MP who has been injured. I would give up anything for Max, not giving up any futures for a guy who isn't even a clear top 9 LW on our team. Easy no thx from the Jets, not in a million years do we give up the OP offer.

First you won’t deal Myers and a 1st for Karlsson and now you are saying Pacioretty would be your 4th line LW.

I’ve never seen a poster with a stronger “what have you done for me lately” outlook.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
First you won’t deal Myers and a 1st for Karlsson and now you are saying Pacioretty would be your 4th line LW.

I’ve never seen a poster with a stronger “what have you done for me lately” outlook.

Do I need to embarrass you in this thread also? You’re a glutton for punishment I see. Do I need to post the chain of posts to prove you wrong again? Never stated anything about Myers & 1st and you know that after I and multi others proved you wrong. Now that’s done....

No interest in Max for 1.5 years, he doesn’t offer us any significant upgrades in our top 9. You like him so much trade for him for your Leafs. Wingers is the absolutely last thing we need, especially near ufa ones who come at the cost of young talent

Reactions: Pongs21

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Do I need to embarrass you in this thread also? You’re a glutton for punishment I see. Do I need to post the chain of posts to prove you wrong again? Never stated anything about Myers & 1st and you know that after I and multi others proved you wrong. Now that’s done....

No interest in Max for 1.5 years, he doesn’t offer us any significant upgrades in our top 9. You like him so much trade for him for your Leafs. Wingers is the absolutely last thing we need, especially near ufa ones who come at the cost of young talent
I’m mostly interested in how a 30/60 player for the past 4 years is suddenly a 4th liner. It will be amazing if you don’t win a cup with that lineup.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Jets are doing well but we certainly don’t want to rush things. Roslo looks like a keeper and our winger depth is fantastic. Also what would it cost for Mete?
There realistically isn't a cost for Mete. We need him to turn into our 2D for Weber, and he's realistically the only LHD prospect we have that can do that.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
This entire post is for 4lightAM

To Montreal: Jack Roslovic, Shawn Matthias (cap dump), Brendan Lemieux, conditional pick (1st if Jets reach WCF, 2nd if Jets qualify for playoffs, 3rd if they miss).

To Winnipeg: Max Pacioretty and Tomas Plekanec (at 3M).

Is this realistic or I'm asking too much as a Habs fan?

Jack our future 2C to replace our aging current 2C Little. After Jack we have no one to replace Little in the pipe line.

Brendan developing into a nice gritty bottom six winger that can score a bit.

Very Possible 1st Rd pick, valuable to a draft & develop team. Chevy cherishes them and he should.

Both Shawn & Tomas are dumps or close to it.

Max is a aging LW with a past history of scoring 60+ points but is struggling this year despite quality mins and playing a near full season to-date. He also will be roughly 31 yrs old UFA in 1.5 years when his contract expires. Will he bounce back or is this the start of his decline at around the often referred to as the magic 30 age? Unknown, but the best predictor of the future is the recent past......this season to-date would not look good about his future then. But I will adknowledge maybe a change of teams next year at the age of 30 he bounces back to 60+ points.....it's a possibility but certainly a big risk he won't.

LW Ehlers 34 15-10-25
LW Connor 28 10-9-19
LW Perreault 22 9-10-19

that's not a position I'd pay much to upgrade

This is my point, currently all of our top 9 LW are out producing him. Connor & MP are out producing him with less games played. As MCPW states accurately, LW is not a position on our team that we would pay much to upgrade b/c were strong there already.

Easy no from the Jets, Max offers us absolutely nothing. Literally he might be our 4th line LW......our current top 9 are out producing him and that includes MP who has been injured. I would give up anything for Max, not giving up any futures for a guy who isn't even a clear top 9 LW on our team. Easy no thx from the Jets, not in a million years do we give up the OP offer.

You will notice here I stated and I quote "he MIGHT be our 4th line LW" and the point stands true as of this season. "Might" meaning nothing is guaranteed this year, top 6/9 is not being gifted to him this year b/c his production this year is not better then our winger who played less games and some had less quality mins (MP). Again as I stated above, maybe he bounces back next year to his old form but it's a big gamble to trade away great youth.

Lets say your right and max is hypothetically 20% better then MP or Connor. That still isn't worth what you want in the OP, not even close. Wingers to us are our strongest position, along with RHD. Don't offer us any wingers or RHD in any deal......we want to ship out bottom 6 wingers possibly. Jack is our future 2C and is ripping up the AHL. BL is also a very strong bottom 6 winger, one we want to promote eventually but we're too staked on wing now......last thing we need is another winger who isn't a significant up grade over what we have now and is a UFA in 1.5 yrs.

No interest in Max....zero interest....last thing we need. Go sell him off to a team in need of scoring (not us) and wingers (not us). You literally are trying to sell him to one of the teams that need him the least....thus what we would offer you for him would be pennies of the dollar.

Here I post saying ok, let's say Max offers us a 20% upgrade over Connor or MP once we trade for him.......that minor upgrade isn't worth trading away our future 2C, 1st potentially, Brendan.

Not remotely interested. The Jets have some big money contracts coming up to Laine, Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebucyk and possibly Wheeler, and smaller raises to Lowry, and Armia.

The only way that is possible and have a competitive roster is to fill in other spots with guys like Roslovic, Lemieux, Petan, etc.

0 interest in trading away young talent like that right now. Small tweaks could be made at the deadline to add some depth (mainly on D), but the Jets also have Matthais and Dano for depth, and Roslovic who is playing extreamly well in the AHL.

Huffer points out accurately how we have big contracts coming up, last thing we need to do is trade out multi ELC for a aging vet winger contract and near UFA who will want a big raise.

I’m mostly interested in how a 30/60 player for the past 4 years is suddenly a 4th liner. It will be amazing if you don’t win a cup with that lineup.

Ok, we're going to find out your true intent here, right now.

I've quoted each related (not cherry picking one post out of a conversation) post in this thread written by me, or the OP or other Jets fans explaining why Max doesn't offer us much if anything......certainly best case for Max not worth the OP. Read above. I've explained my POV & opinion along with highlighted most of the other Jet fans opinions in this thread we all agree OP makes no sense for the Jets. Max is of little interest to us, wingers are the last thing we need....along with RHD.

Now you explain why you think the Jets should do the OP trade, give details b/c all us Jets fans want to hear your opinion. While you're posting your reply, considering your so eager to give your opinion in a Jets thread, post what your Leafs would give up for Max.

Reactions: Pongs21

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's my personal belief that besides goalies, left wingers have the least amount of value for players in the NHL. It just seems much harder to find a good RW then it is a LW and Centers and Defense are always at a premium

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We're not at the point where we'll be trading young prospects for older players. Picks (not a 1st) for depth rentals, sure.

We're still one of the younger teams in the league.

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
We're not at the point where we'll be trading young prospects for older players. Picks (not a 1st) for depth rentals, sure.

We're still one of the younger teams in the league.

Devil’s advocate here, why not go for it all while we do have so many productive players on elcs?

Not saying Patches is the right fit but food for thought

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Devil’s advocate here, why not go for it all while we do have so many productive players on elcs?

This organization has publically stated multi times there are no short cuts being taken, they are planning the long game, big picture. Trading away our future 2C who is killing it in the AHL is not thinking long term or big picture. I could see the Jets eventually trading away a 1St or a BL like player for a rental maybe even this year......but not our best prospect & future 2C. He's too good, we've invested a lot of coaching & seasoning into to get him where he is now and Little is getting older and may of lost a small step this year. Chevy has also stated multi times a team won't getting ahead while in the process of filling one hole we create another hole equally big/critical. Trading away Jack creates a huge hole at 2C as early as next season. My 0.02

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

With the youth this team currently has, there is absolutely no reason to mortgage the future to go for it with a team who has not made the playoffs once with its current core. Our window is a long one due to us having a lot of young studs in the lineup, accompanied with Roslovic, Lemieux and co. in the pipeline. Trading for Patches now means that we will be worse off when the cap crunch hits us.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Trading for Patches now means that we will be worse off when the cap crunch hits us.
No it doesn't. Patches is signed only for 1 more year and his cap hit is only 4.5M. There would be absolutely no problems fitting his cap hit for next year. Not even in the case that Cheveldayoff suddenly stopped being Cheveldayoff and throws money at Morrissey. More likely he'll have to sign a bridge deal like Trouba did or he will sign an affordable long term contract. Also little more than a week ago Bettman said next seasons salary cap will be somewhere between 78-82M, at least 3M more cap space than this years 75M.

So I'll say it once more, there would be zero problems fitting Patches cap hit. All the other reasons are still valid why the Jets would not do this trade, even if I think the value is fair in a vacuum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad