Proposal: [WPG/MTL] (Deadline)

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No it doesn't. Patches is signed only for 1 more year and his cap hit is only 4.5M. There would be absolutely no problems fitting his cap hit for next year. Not even in the case that Cheveldayoff suddenly stopped being Cheveldayoff and throws money at Morrissey. More likely he'll have to sign a bridge deal like Trouba did or he will sign an affordable long term contract. Also little more than a week ago Bettman said next seasons salary cap will be somewhere between 78-82M, at least 3M more cap space than this years 75M.

So I'll say it once more, there would be zero problems fitting Patches cap hit. All the other reasons are still valid why the Jets would not do this trade, even if I think the value is fair in a vacuum.

He was not referring to cap this year, which would be no problem. He was referring to the long term.....Max would be a huge problem if we tried to resign him along with all our young stars/players

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
No it doesn't. Patches is signed only for 1 more year and his cap hit is only 4.5M. There would be absolutely no problems fitting his cap hit for next year. Not even in the case that Cheveldayoff suddenly stopped being Cheveldayoff and throws money at Morrissey. More likely he'll have to sign a bridge deal like Trouba did or he will sign an affordable long term contract. Also little more than a week ago Bettman said next seasons salary cap will be somewhere between 78-82M, at least 3M more cap space than this years 75M.

So I'll say it once more, there would be zero problems fitting Patches cap hit. All the other reasons are still valid why the Jets would not do this trade, even if I think the value is fair in a vacuum.
Roslovic, Lemieux and the good prospect we would miss out on are our best shots at replacing the forwards we will lose to the cap crunch. Giving them up now would be foolish, unless we were to acquire a long-term solution at a position of need. Pacioretty is neither.

And, for the love of every God that exists: DO NOT BRIDGE MORRISSEY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, EVER.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Roslovic, Lemieux and the good prospect we would miss out on are our best shots at replacing the forwards we will lose to the cap crunch. Giving them up now would be foolish, unless we were to acquire a long-term solution at a position of need. Pacioretty is neither.

And, for the love of every God that exists: DO NOT BRIDGE MORRISSEY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, EVER.

Agreed

Sign Josh for 8 years asap

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Winnipeg politely declines. I think the value is quite good, but there are clear flaws in this one.

If there is a position at which we definitely do not need help, it is LW. Moreover, Patches is locked up for another year, no? Considering our cap situation, that is an enormous no.

I'm not totally opposed to adding Plekanec at half, but if that costs us anything more than a mid round pick, I'm not paying that price.

For Montreal, I see why they would make this deal, although I think they'd rather want picks/younger prospects.

You do realize Martin hanzal was traded at the deadline for a 1st +. YES, he is younger, but he doesn't bring WAY more then Plekanec to the table... Plekanec would fetch a 1st to a contender or a 2nd + Prospect at the deadline if traded with retention just because you WANT that kind of guy on your 3rd line winning those improtant faceoff during the playoffs

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Have seen Roslovic play 4 times with the Moose. Kid is going to be a real playa.......Jets simply have to hang on to him. If anything, we need another D or C.....not wingers.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
You do realize Martin hanzal was traded at the deadline for a 1st +. YES, he is younger, but he doesn't bring WAY more then Plekanec to the table... Plekanec would fetch a 1st to a contender or a 2nd + Prospect at the deadline if traded with retention just because you WANT that kind of guy on your 3rd line winning those improtant faceoff during the playoffs
Cool. Do you realize that bad deals happen?

As I said - if a rental Plekanec costs us anything more than a mid round pick, count me out. I am comfortable seeing someone else overpay at the deadline, as opposed to paying the premium to add to our fourth line.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
This entire post is for 4lightAM

Jack our future 2C to replace our aging current 2C Little. After Jack we have no one to replace Little in the pipe line.

Brendan developing into a nice gritty bottom six winger that can score a bit.

Very Possible 1st Rd pick, valuable to a draft & develop team. Chevy cherishes them and he should.

Both Shawn & Tomas are dumps or close to it.

Max is a aging LW with a past history of scoring 60+ points but is struggling this year despite quality mins and playing a near full season to-date. He also will be roughly 31 yrs old UFA in 1.5 years when his contract expires. Will he bounce back or is this the start of his decline at around the often referred to as the magic 30 age? Unknown, but the best predictor of the future is the recent past......this season to-date would not look good about his future then. But I will adknowledge maybe a change of teams next year at the age of 30 he bounces back to 60+ points.....it's a possibility but certainly a big risk he won't.

This is my point, currently all of our top 9 LW are out producing him. Connor & MP are out producing him with less games played. As MCPW states accurately, LW is not a position on our team that we would pay much to upgrade b/c were strong there already.

You will notice here I stated and I quote "he MIGHT be our 4th line LW" and the point stands true as of this season. "Might" meaning nothing is guaranteed this year, top 6/9 is not being gifted to him this year b/c his production this year is not better then our winger who played less games and some had less quality mins (MP). Again as I stated above, maybe he bounces back next year to his old form but it's a big gamble to trade away great youth.

Here I post saying ok, let's say Max offers us a 20% upgrade over Connor or MP once we trade for him.......that minor upgrade isn't worth trading away our future 2C, 1st potentially, Brendan.

Huffer points out accurately how we have big contracts coming up, last thing we need to do is trade out multi ELC for a aging vet winger contract and near UFA who will want a big raise.

Ok, we're going to find out your true intent here, right now.

I've quoted each related (not cherry picking one post out of a conversation) post in this thread written by me, or the OP or other Jets fans explaining why Max doesn't offer us much if anything......certainly best case for Max not worth the OP. Read above. I've explained my POV & opinion along with highlighted most of the other Jet fans opinions in this thread we all agree OP makes no sense for the Jets. Max is of little interest to us, wingers are the last thing we need....along with RHD.

Now you explain why you think the Jets should do the OP trade, give details b/c all us Jets fans want to hear your opinion. While you're posting your reply, considering your so eager to give your opinion in a Jets thread, post what your Leafs would give up for Max.

Just out of curiosity - do you actually think Pacioretty is a 4th liner on the Jets like you said?

Isn't now a good time to gamble on a rental 30 goal scorer, while your players are on ELCs? You won't be able to acquire 1st or 2nd liners (who are 4th liners on the Jets, because this years stats outweigh career numbers and defensive ability) and add them to your team as easily in 3 years. I believe the Jets could contend this season, but it will be more difficult once you have Laine, Morrissey and Trouba all on their 8 year deals...unless you bridge them which has been a disaster in many cases where players of that level are bridged.

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Devil’s advocate here, why not go for it all while we do have so many productive players on elcs?

Not saying Patches is the right fit but food for thought

Eh, bcause we won't be facing a cap crunch anytime soon, so there is no reason to add older more expensive players to go for it now. I'd like to see some success in the playoffs before we trade our top prospect, 1st rounder + for 29+ year old players. Ignoring Wheeler, our core is ~24 and under. Scheif, Ehlers, Laine, Mo, Trouba, Helle, Lowry.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Just out of curiosity - do you actually think Pacioretty is a 4th liner on the Jets like you said?

Isn't now a good time to gamble on a rental 30 goal scorer, while your players are on ELCs? You won't be able to acquire 1st or 2nd liners (who are 4th liners on the Jets, because this years stats outweigh career numbers and defensive ability) and add them to your team as easily in 3 years. I believe the Jets could contend this season, but it will be more difficult once you have Laine, Morrissey and Trouba all on their 8 year deals...unless you bridge them which has been a disaster in many cases where players of that level are bridged.

Go read my post again.....I even quoted & put it in capitals. I stated he “might” be a 4th LW on the Jets which is true based on the facts and performances this year. He would be a tough fight to earn a top 9 role on our LW barring injuries, certainly not a given like in the past. I acknowledged in my post that he “may” bounce back next year under a team/start, but it’s a big/huge risk due to his age/contract status if the cost to get him is a key prospect like Jack. I never stated his is “only a 4th liner”, there is a difference. I see virtually no chance of us resigning Max due to our upcoming cap concerns. So this means he’s purely a rental for 1.5 years.

So I’m not disagreeing with your point of adding pieces to assist us in a playoff push this year.....I’m agreeing with you on that point. Where were disagreeing is what is acceptable to give up to get additional pieces for our push. Giving up our best and only replacement 2C prospect who is replacing Little possibly next year is too much imo.

IMO the expendable/replaceable pieces we have to trade are:

- Armia

- Lowry

- Copp

- Tanev

- Myers (once Trouba is signed, if signed)

- Maybe 1st rd pick

- Any prospect not named Jack Roslovic

Anyone else traded would be a big/significant trade requiring backfill coming back. The pieces we have available in trade above imo are not going to get a piece as good as Max. Imo we would only adding to our bottom six, which would cost a lot. I see no big splash type of move imo.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Go read my post again.....I even quoted & put it in capitals. I stated he “might” be a 4th LW on the Jets which is true based on the facts and performances this year. He would be a tough fight to earn a top 9 role on our LW barring injuries, certainly not a given like in the past. I acknowledged in my post that he “may” bounce back next year under a team/start, but it’s a big/huge risk due to his age/contract status if the cost to get him is a key prospect like Jack. I never stated his is “only a 4th liner”, there is a difference. I see virtually no chance of us resigning Max due to our upcoming cap concerns. So this means he’s purely a rental for 1.5 years.

So I’m not disagreeing with your point of adding pieces to assist us in a playoff push this year.....I’m agreeing with you on that point. Where were disagreeing is what is acceptable to give up to get additional pieces for our push. Giving up our best and only replacement 2C prospect who is replacing Little possibly next year is too much imo.

IMO the expendable/replaceable pieces we have to trade are:

- Armia

- Lowry

- Copp

- Tanev

- Myers (once Trouba is signed, if signed)

- Maybe 1st rd pick

- Any prospect not named Jack Roslovic

Anyone else traded would be a big/significant trade requiring backfill coming back. The pieces we have available in trade above imo are not going to get a piece as good as Max. Imo we would only adding to our bottom six, which would cost a lot. I see no big splash type of move imo.
Zero chance the Jets trade Niku either, imo

paragon

May 5, 2010
He was not referring to cap this year, which would be no problem. He was referring to the long term.....Max would be a huge problem if we tried to resign him along with all our young stars/players
Well of course this trade wouldn't be a long term solution. Patches wouldn't most likely even want to re-sign in Winnipeg. It would still be decent trade for the excellent cup windows this year and next year when you still have Laine and Connor on ELCs and Wheeler and Myers signed. When those contracts run out, it's going to be much harder, so there's not a better time windows to try to win it all than next year.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Well of course this trade wouldn't be a long term solution. Patches wouldn't most likely even want to re-sign in Winnipeg. It would still be decent trade for the excellent cup windows this year and next year when you still have Laine and Connor on ELCs and Wheeler and Myers signed. When those contracts run out, it's going to be much harder, so there's not a better time windows to try to win it all than next year.

Nope.....zero interest in him unless the cost is one of or a combo of a couple available pieces I listed above. He’s not worth crippling our future for, hard pass on OP offer.....not even close to being interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad