Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Bryan Little signs extension (6 years, $5.29M AAV)

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Pretty happy with this signing. Really nice to get it out of the way before the season starts.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Little level players could/can get 7-8 year deals easily.

what would montreal ny or st.louis given him on the open market in terms of term. people saying 6 years is to long.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The injuries must be a little concerning on a contract taking him through to 36 though.

These deals always carries a risk, but for UFA 30y contract this looks pretty damm good/low risk.

An 8 year extension would pay Little through the age of 38...so no, not easily. When he was 26/27, yes, but not on a deal that won't start until he's 30.

Have you seen the UFA market?
30y top6 W guys still get those and Little is a 1B C, much more valuable.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Little couldn't get 8 years as a UFA, though.

And yes, Little absolutely could have gotten more via free agency...which is why I think free agency is best utilized to fill in depth spots and not how you acquire front-end players, bidding wars and a salary cap rarely work together well. Little took less to stay where he's comfortable, nothing wrong with that. Good for him and good for Winnipeg.

Backes signed till 37, Oshie 38, Nielsen 38, Ladd 37, Eriksson 37, Radulov 36. This has absolutely become the norm for UFA contracts.

Oshie was Washington going all-in in the short-term to keep the cost down...and likely thinking there's going to be amnesty with the next damn lockout. The rest, though...great examples why I think high-priced free agents are the worst possible way to build a franchise.

My stance is more that it is unwise to sign most of these players for as long as they're being signed, not that it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
The injuries must be a little concerning on a contract taking him through to 36 though.

2 fairly freakish injuries in the last 2 years - one a a questionable hit when he was off balance after another player almost tripped him and Stralman hit him when he was in a vulnerable position and the other when he and Bickell collided knee on knee aren't indicative of his overall health history.

hockeyguru19

Jun 6, 2017
Jets have a ton of RFA's to sign in the summer of 2018.....Ehlers,Trouba,Morrissey,Hellebuyck,Lowry,then the following summer of 2019 they have to get their captain Wheeler signed and RFA Laine who will get a 10 million dollar pay raise.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
seems like ages ago when he was ripping it up in hotlanta but only 29! i really wanted the rangers to look deeply into him next summer...good job jets! well deserved contract for someone who has been part of the franchise for a decade, best of luck bryan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad